• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

looking for advice on selling my Midget

CsW

Freshman Member
I have a pretty decent 62 Midget I have been trying to sell. Is it that bad out there for selling cars now? I think my price is fair for the market. I don't use ebay but was thinking I may have to if I want to try to move the car. Any other good places to post for sale? Tried Craigslist without much luck.

G

Wrong time, wait till Jan. it aint gonna move now unless you give it away. Put it out now and it'll be stale by the time taxes start comming in.

Country flag
Did you try craigs list? If your car was local to me where I could inspect it thoroughly, I'd seriously consider it. But for me to purchase a car from afar, it has to be a heck of a deal.

I guess what I'm saying is ... you should probably try to market it locally. Local car clubs, car cruises, car shows, etc. And yes, spring time is THE time to sell.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Early, side-curtain, 948 Midgets, if unmolested, are holding value nicely.

~This Article~ claims a value of $3000 to $10000 for a very nice one. I'm not sure how your "pretty decent" one compares to that, but at least it's a range, even if a wide one. Maybe your car would be on the lower end of that range if you find the right buyer and spruce it up as best as you can.

As always, it can be a buyer's market during a difficult economy. I own a second home that I'm considering selling, but not until the economy gets a bit better.

For what it's worth, I think the most desirable versions of these cars are the '73 "RWA" 1275 cars. I bought a "barn find" '73 Midget that ran and was very solid for under $300 a few months ago. This is it. Part of the reason I got this deal was due to my own patience added to a buyer who was very motivated.

On the other hand, if you spruce your's up, set a higher price and are patient, you might find that buyer who really wants an early Midget. You've got nothing to lose by starting high and seeing what happens.

OP
C

CsW

Freshman Member
Its a 948 with a 24xx serial #. It has a new paint job and interior. New tires. It had a sprite speedometer in it when I bought it but I have since replaced it with the correct MG. I don't know the original mileage. The top, tonneau and side curtains are a little worn for a 50 year old car. I believe the exaust system is still original and the muffler has some holes in it. I did purchase new pipes and muffler but did not get around to installing them. Has the Ace Mercury wheel covers too. All around I believe this to be a pretty origial car.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So post some pics and we'll gve you an idea on what it is worth.

V

vagt6

List the car here first. This is a target market and gives good exposure.

Then, eBay is a no-brainer in my experience. Set the reserve at your lowest possible price in order to avoid a low price giveaway on the car. Then, if it doesn't sell you only have to pay a small amount for the ad.

EBay provides the best possible exposure, there's really nothing else like the marketplace eBay provides.

There are some awful ads on eBay for these cars, don't let your ad be one. :nonono:

Keep the ad as short as possible; include <span style="text-decoration: underline">facts</span> about the condition of the car (not a rambling saga of your family history); post LOTS of photos of every angle on the car, including the engine bay and undercarriage, and finally, list the car at a reasonable price.

Can't beat eBay for selling these cars.

Good luck, let us know.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
vagt6 said:
There are some awful ads on eBay for these cars, don't let your ad be one.

Boy, <span style="font-style: italic">that's</span> the truth!

You have to wonder sometimes what people are thinking--a few really lousy pictures, no useful description, and they expect someone to plunk down top dollar (or more than top dollar) for a car. If you do a decent job of documenting the car with both pictures and text, you're well ahead of the game.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That one is very nice but not quite right.

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
Yeah. It looks like someone forgot to latch the hood down and also didn't release the spring on one side of the top bow. :blush:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Pieces missing as well. not a lot really but noticeable.

G

Jack is just jealous. Ms. Agatha's power equipment isn't functioning...nor has she funky green masking tape. :jester:

I've never seen lime green masking tape...it must be English.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
I've never seen lime green masking tape...it must be English.

Painter's Tape

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Walmart bag shift lever boot! :jester:

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think the point is that this is a classic BAD AD.

The car wasn't prepped for the pictures and the text rambles so much no-one wants to read it.

I'm not sure what a 1210 engine is. Misspelling is prominent, and some misrepresentation. "no known defects" is not the same as "has mior assemblye left, turn lights ect." (not to mention the heater fan cover) And "There is no damage evident on this vehicle." is not the same as "has srcatch on left rear qrt panel"
Not that it's a big deal, it's just telling two opposing things.

Lots of nice pictures, but 4 pictures of the left front is over-doing it a bit, especially when there's no picture of the left rear (which is where the scratch is)!

V

vagt6

Uninitiated LBC buyers amoung us may profit by paying heed to the Famous and Sacred "Golden Rule" for eBay purchases.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Golden Rule for eBay purchases rests upon 3 irrefutable commandments</span>:

1) Believe <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">nothing</span></span></span> the seller says or represents about the car. As President Reagan wisely said: "Trust, but verify";

2) If you can't personally inspect the car before you buy, pay or find someone knowledgeable who will;

3) If any confusion whatsoever exists, please refer to #1, above.

eBay is <span style="text-decoration: underline">tailor-made</span> for suckers and the hucksters and hacks that prey on them. Thank goodness most of the folks I've bought and sold cars and motorcycles from there were okay. I've never had a problem with eBay, perhaps because I worship and obey the Golden Rule, above.

You can't go wrong by obeying the Golden Rule. :yesnod: