• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Long post, short question 'what is broke down'

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We all know that if you have to call a tow truck to get home, you broke down. But what if you just pulled over to check your point gap? Does that constitute ‘breaking down’? What if you pull off to let the engine cool because you have ‘some cooling issues’, is that breaking down? What if you pull over because something is bugging you and you make some adjustments, is that breaking down? How about if you have developed an obvious miss, are compelled to pull over and correct the issue? How about if you drift off the road into a parking lot, make some ‘duct tape’ repairs, and limp home, is that breaking down? I mean where is the line between ‘having a problem’ and ‘broke down’?

I ask because my car, before today, broke down only once. I’m not sure it ‘broke down’ today, because I did make it home without outside assistance. It refused to start this morning (which I don’t consider breaking down on the road because it never got there –it wouldn’t start). I’d replaced the points and rotor yesterday and it drove around the block OK, but didn’t start this morning. I think I flooded it, but I installed a flex washer on top of the points’ wires that shorted the wires to the mounting stud. Took me an hour to figure out and I missed the club ‘polar bear run’ to breakfast. I still went, and it drove the 50+ miles without a problem -averaging about 75/80mph.

After breakfast, I started towards an opposite corner of town where my girl friend lives, and developed a miss at about 75mph. Slowing to 70mph, the miss was hard to detect. After a while, I was sure it was there. Pretty sure. So I pulled off. Checked the gap, closed it a little and noticed that the cap on the coil hadn’t been reconnected from my fiddling in the morning. Put it back on and hoped for the best, but headed toward my home instead (another 40+ miles). Cruizing the beltway at 65mph and the miss comes back. Slowed down to 60mph and the miss is barely noticeable. When I get to the toll booth, the miss comes back, strong. It stutters through the EZtag lane, and is suddenly getting much worse. I merge across 4 lanes, and head to the exit ramp. I merge across 3 more feeder lanes, and the engine stalls as I drift into a parking lot.

I call my girl friend. ‘I’ll be a little late, I’m having a little car trouble’. ‘Do you need me to come get you?’ ‘No, I’m sure it’s nothing… but I’m going home to get the truck’. ‘Oh.’… Now the car won’t even start, and I’m feeling like I broke down. I replace the rotor with the old one and the car starts right up, seems fine. I head back on the road sticking to small secondary roads, with only another 15 miles to go. At slow speeds with low tach, the car pulls fine, no miss. About 5 miles left, I accelerate to 55mph and the miss is strong. It doesn’t go away when I slow down. I have to stop again. Check the gap yet again. Look for loose wires. Send a text message ‘Almost home’. Car starts back up, and I’m gingerly accelerating the last 2 miles. Engine is cutting out pretty often, but not stalling. As I stammer up the driveway and into the garage it runs terrible. Without any load, in neutral, accelerating is not smooth and it will not rev high. But, it idles very smooth. Water temperature is normal, voltage normal, oil pressure normal. After it sits for ½ hour, it seems OK again, but I’m not driving it until I know what’s wrong.

Did I break down? What do you think is wrong with my TR6? All I changed yesterday was the points and rotor –and lubed the speedometer cable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]All I changed yesterday was the points and rotor –and lubed the speedometer cable. [/QUOTE]

Start looking for clues back at the scene of the crime.

Defective new points are not uncommon with these cars. Certain brands are known to be troublesome and some are repackaged junk. Did you replace the condensor as well?

I would get a a complete set (points, condensor & rotor) of Blue Streak or Lucas and start over. What did you do with the old ones? Put them back and see if the problem goes away. Cheap test.

BTW, what name brand points and rotor did you use?

Also, check the top of the rotor and may sure that the brass arm isn't loose because a rivet is letting go.

I've always considered "broke down" as "on the roadside dead". Happened a bunch when I was young and my 49 Chevy fastback was not always that reliable. Hope you get it set up straight again. Plenty of help here on the forum.

Tinkerman

Ouch!

Broke down is when the tow truck hauls you in. Anything else is just a nice day of Triumph driving. And you did make it to the breakfast!

And yep, I'm with Brosky- I don't think it was the speedo cable lube slowing you down, I think its underneath the distributor cap.

Randy

sp53 said:

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

A failing coil will come & go with engine heat. There are tests but I always keep a spare and it takes only seconds to strap it to the current one (little bungees) and hook it up.

Our club passes around a trophy for whomever has had the latest breakdown -- a bent MG con rod called the 'Press on Regardless' award).

Because I drive a lot I also have 'won' it a few times. Once I had an ignition problem that I pulled over & fixed w/o getting out of the drivers seat and got back in the drive before the end of the line had passed me.

Did I get awarded the trophy that day> -- you can bet I did.

My definition of "broke down" agrees with Tex, it's whether you had to get outside help/assist; and that doesn't include the inevitable spectator who saunters over and sticks his head under the bonnet sucking his teeth and making unhelpful comments!
The wife/Girlfriends help is considered to not be "outside" help so they can help without the breakdown classification.
BTW my money is on a bad condenser; those things are evil.

Did you find it necessary to adjust your timing after you changed the points?

I agree that if you can't get it going again,or require a tow truck,that's the definition of "broke down".

- Doug

Brosky said:
Start looking for clues back at the scene of the crime.

Defective new points are not uncommon with these cars. Certain brands are known to be troublesome and some are repackaged junk. Did you replace the condensor as well?

BTW, what name brand points and rotor did you use?

Also, check the top of the rotor and may sure that the brass arm isn't loose because a rivet is letting go.

On the way home, I put the rotor back in that was working for the past year or so. I didn't put the old points back. I also changed the condenser, and didn't put the old one back in to see if that was the problem. I get the feeling the points would not be temperature sensitive. The "tune up kit" came from TRF, and doesn't say "LUCAS" on any of the parts, but the points do have a "made in england" stamp.

Anyway, I ordered an electronic ignition and matching coil tonight. Instaling them may not cure my problem, but I'll never have to mess with points/condenser again, and it will rule out the coil as well. I think it's the coil and don't have a spare. I can't see it being a fuel delivery problem, but it is an unusual problem. -even for a Triumph.

The reason I replaced the points/etc was because it seems to lack a bit of grunt lately, not significantly, but I can't seem to make the tires chirp between gears. Maybe it's because usually the roads are warmer, and it's hard not to?

I'm not counting it as "broke down" for one reason: it made it home without any pushing/towing.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Jer