• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Importing an antique auto from overseas

DanF

Freshman Member
Does anyone have experience importing an antique auto from overseas? Can anyone explain the process or make recommendations ? For a newbie it seems rather complicated. I am hopeful that someone can simplify.
Thanks,
Dan

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If it comes through the port in Bayonne, New Jersey get ready for some damage - those guys don't care...that's the experience I've had! Next time, I go through a port in Florida or south Carolina.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
This topic has been discussed very often. I would think that you could find all of the information that you need by searching this site for previous postings.
Cheers, David.

OP
D

DanF

Freshman Member
Guys:
Tahnks for the info. I've tried searching and received mostly erronous info. Any help ??
Thanks,
Dan

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Dan, what kind of vehicle is it and what country is it coming from? I will try and give you some information.
Cheers, David.

OP
D

DanF

Freshman Member
David:
Nothing set in stone . Europe incl. Italy and the UK would be the most likely spot. Before pursueing too much, I wanted to know what I was getting myself into.
Thanks,
Dan

Country flag
The US Customs authorities have a web page on doing this.

I can't say anything about importing a car into the US, but when I brought mine out of the US to the UK I first called the UK Customs people here and spoke with them about it. They were very helpful, though your experience with those in the US may differ....

I also spoke with the shipping agent (international phone calls are now almost cheap, and certainly by comparison to the costs of not getting the information) and they were very helpful since they were the ones that dealt with the customs authorities. I asked the shippers who they'd use on the delivery side- and contacted those people directly to discuss details. It all went very smoothly....

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Dan, first you need to be sure that the vehicle will be allowed in the States. You will need a perminet export paper from the UK. The log book will be cancelled...do not had it over to the DMV. Be sure that the car has DOT approved glass, tyre, etc.. Hire a broker on this end to handle all of the paper work for you. This is well worth the money as they will deal with customs, etc. and all you will have to do is have the car collected @ the shipper dock. Do not do a "drive on" journey. I would crate or put the vehicle in a container. Be sure to over inspect upon the arrival of the auto. Some packers are real hacks. I would think that the cost to you from the UK would be in the 2k region.
Cheers, David.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Do not do a "drive on" journey.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!!!

Because if you do, some dummy at the port will drive it off the boat into the storage yard, blaring the radio the whole time with the sunroof open not thinking that the battery might be low from the trip...then, when he parks it & the battery is too low to close the sunroof because he was booming the radio, he'll walk away & let it get rained into!! For days - or weeks - until you get to it!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, yeah, David - been there done it a coule of times - still angry!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The problem is that you are never made whole![/QUOTE]

Problem is you have to prove all the damage was done by them & did not exist before they got the car....my advice: photo every inch of the car in advance with dated photos.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Excellent advise, but probably still hard to prove if Mick did it on the UK end, or if Mike did it on this end?
Cheers, David.

carcrank

Freshman Member
I used to have some pics of the offloading of a nice older British car from the boat in Houston. It fell out of the sling/platform into 40 feet of water. Shipper told the owner his insurance for the trip didn't cover droppage into the harbor.
What a mess that was...couldn't even leave it there cause of the oil and fuel contamination. Owner eventually hired some frogmen (I think from the fire dept.) to go down and get some lines on it so it could be retrieved. Don't know what he did with it afterwards. He was letting it dryout first.
Check what the shipper or freight forwarder will insure.

Wombat