• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Importing MG's from the UK

WildDiscoveryII

Freshman Member
Country flag
Does anyone have any pointers for bringing a RHD MG or Triumph from the UK to the states?
I am looking at a 1981 TR7 and a 1979 MGB-GT, and wondered if anyone could provide me any advice as to what I need to do prior to and after bringing the vehicle/s to the US, and which port of entry is the best/easiest to deal with on the east coast.
Thanks

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'd be very much worried about rust if bringing vehicles from England. Why not import from the rust-free southwest?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
ditto.gif
Unless it's a very valuable car or one with a history, I don't believe the cost and aggravation would be worth it. If your set on a right hand drive model, their are a few here already. Have patience and keep looking, you'll find one. If drive side is of no concern, there's tons of them here in the states in different stages of condition, from beautiful concourse restorations,($$$), to nice daily drivers or various stages of decay. Depends on how much work you want to do and how much of this stuff,($$$), your willing to spend!
rolleye0012.gif

V

vagt6

Paul and Dave,above, are right on: it is not cost-effective in any way to import a TR-7 or BGT across the pond. These are both very inexpensive LBCs and the cost to transport, title, etc., may exceed the retail value of either car.

A near-perfect BGT may be had here for less than $10K, I've seen lovely examples with rotisserie restos go for $6-$8,000. TR-7s are not a lot more.

If you must have RHD, buy a left hander and convert them. The cost to do so would probably total less than your England transport costs.

Watch eBay, Craigslist, Hemmings, Auto Trader and the usual sales venues. These cars are not hard to find in decent condtion.

Good luck with your search, let us know . . .

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Why waste $$$'s with an entire car....do as I did: order all the parts from the UK!

Deaner_67

Freshman Member
Where did you order the parts from the UK from, I am having a hard tie tying to find a place that will ship parts to me. I need aot of parts for my 67 roadster.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Some if it I went over & brought back in my luggage; other things I got friends to purchase & ship to me...new items I went through Moss UK.

Deaner_67

Freshman Member
ok, Thank you bery much again Tony, yuve proved to be an enormous help so far, and Im sure youll continue to do so.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Have you looked in MG Enthusiast magazine? Its UK-based & has several vendors in the back who'll ship to the US...I've used a couple to get V8 stuff.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Deaner,
Try going to Brown & Gammons in England. They have parts for all MG's
from TA's to the newest available. Their website is:

www.ukmgparts.com

You can also google them. I'm trying to find other sources in the UK
but no luck so far so if you come across any others, let me know.

Regards,
Mike