• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fuel Tank/System Questions

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Guys

Well, slowly making progress on the TR3A. Mounted fuel tank and starting to dress it out. Finished the fuel line to the pump. The fuel tank (purchased from Jorge in San Diego) looks great but is maybe a little big - or the felt provided by TRF is too thick. In any event, I purchased some extra long bolts and tucked some washers under the straps in the boot to make it secure. It isn't going anywhere and my handiwork will be hidden behind the trim panel.

Three fuel system related questions:
  1. Is there a gasket or seal between the escutcheon and the cap? If so, where might I source this?
  2. Is there a gasket or seal in the fuel cap? Where to buy?
  3. I recall a thread where Randall indicated you could drill a small hole in the cap vent (I assume this is the part of the cap with the rivets, in my photo). And then one could block off the fuel vent tube (my tube is rotten and needs to be replaced - I removed tube from banjo fitting using a lot of heat. But would rather seal off this tank port and vent cap, if possible). Can someone direct me to the thread or repeat the advice?

Thanks. Making decent progress these days. Target is May UBSCC Show in Woodland, CA.

Pat

Make sure the tank is clamped securely. Don't forget, it weighs almost 100 pounds full and the fuel can slosh around (adding even more strain on the mounts) during hard driving.

I believe there was originally some sort of sealing material in both those places; but I can't help with a source. IIRC I cut an O-ring to fit the lower one, and left the upper one alone.

Here's a photo of the hole in my cap. But as I recall it was already there, I didn't drill it.

I forget the thread offhand, but I found a standard bolt that would fit the vent fitting, and installed it with a fiber washer and no banjo. Didn't like the original vent dumping raw fuel on the ground during hard left turns.

For the upper one I cut a square profile O-ring -- one that was thick enough to jam into that groove, possibly a leftover from ones that came with cartridge oil filters. Didn't bother to superglue the cut ends together, just stuffed it in there.

I do not recall what I did with the lower -- but I did make one or two ring gaskets out of gasket paper to go under the cap before it was screwed down -- to get it so when tightened the 'ear' was correctly pointing to the driver's side of the car.

The problem with the original vent tube is it comes off the right side of the tank and goes straight downward. To make it work, it should come off the right, cross over to the left and then go down. That's how aircraft keep fuel from sloshing out...the right wing tank vents to the left wing tip and vise versa. It wouldn't be hard to do since you already have the banjo broken apart.

Just a thought...

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll post what I come up with for the gaskets, as well as the bolt size to close off the fuel vent pipe fitting. Much appreciated.

pat