• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dodge Challenger. Yes, Dodge Challenger.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree - that's nicer than the new Mustang or the new Thunderbird

you gonna buy one?

Hey thats nicely done. i like. A LOT. i had a 71 charger way back when...

mark

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Wow, I like that car! I think they got just the right blend of modern and retro. The new Mustang isn;t bad either, but I think this would be a winner!

Basil

Bret

Yoda
I love it! Modern Mopar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The 70 Challenger was always one of my favorite muscle cars. I fact I almost purchased one a few years back, but I couldn’t swing the cash at the time and missed it. Not a β€œHemi” or a 440, but she was black on black (black vinyl top) it had a very potent 383 under the hood with those supper cool duel snorkels backed up pistol grip manual.

While I’m mostly a Ford Guy I do have a lot of history with Mopars – Plymouths mostly. In fact here is a picture of my fist Car I ever purchased on my own – a 67 Barracuda.

160731-Bacaruta.jpg

Got her while I was serving in the Marine Corps in North Carolina in the late 70’s and let me tell you the cops in that part of the state didn’t particularly care for my bright canary yellow fish running duel class packs out each side. In fact it was so loud when I first moved to back to Kalifornia I got a ticket for excessive noise idling at a stop light in Orange county CA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 160731-Bacaruta.jpg
    160731-Bacaruta.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 52

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
That is one of the better retro cars I have seen.

Bruce

Bugeye58

Yoda
Lest you get your hopes up, may I remind you of what the show version of the "new" Charger looked like before it was transformed into the bloated four door monstrosity that finally saw production?
Jeff

Bret

Yoda
Actually according to an article in the latest Car & Driver (Feb06) the new Challenger Concept is built on a shortened LX platform used by the Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300. Moreover the article goes on to suggest that the production model (expected in 18 to 24 Mos) will be on the next generation LX platform called the LY. That new shorter platform will be about 4” shorter than the LX with the lion’s share of the difference coming out of the rear passenger seat area.

The article goes on to say that the new Challenger seems to be directly aimed at the new Mustang. The new Challenger will be only slightly lighter than the current Charger (~4100lbs) it will boast ~ 425 HP & 420 lbs of Torque. Compared to much less powerful Mustang @ ~3500lbs.

Not un-like how the Solstice is stirring the pot up in Miata/MS-5 world – I see the Dodge boys giving the Ford Mustang camp some sleepless nights down the road too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bret, I guess my point was that the original Charger concept vehicle was instantly recognizable as a Charger. The production versions look like a current 300 with a Durango nose on them. And, 4 stinkin' doors!
Jeff

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
i hafta agree... this is one of the best retro styled cars I've seen so far. It'll be interesting to see how much of the styling stays the same for production modles.

The original Viper faired pretty well in that respect with the body staying pretty much the same as the concept car. The only difference that I can remember was the production cars didn't have the header pipes pokin' out of the huge front side vents.... oh, and the head lights were different from the concept Viper too..

Bret

Yoda
The Prowler was another concept that pretty much stayed the same when it hit production so I’m hoping the new Challenger stays on a diet as in enters production.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Bret, I guess my point was that the original Charger concept vehicle was instantly recognizable as a Charger. The production versions look like a current 300 with a Durango nose on them. And, 4 stinkin' doors!
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ] Might have been worse--you could have gotten a "GTO" that looks like Honda with a split grill! Hmmmm . . . a Hemi-Challenger.

What's next, a new Superbird? Oh wait, that was a Plymouth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif Although it would be the only thing on the road with a wing taller than a Subaru WRX Sti! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
the "GTO" looks like a Pontiac Grand AM to me...

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
At some point, the American manufacturers are going to have to actually create a modern looking car for the 98 percent of auto buyers who don't care about collector cars.

While American companies are building for the 2 percent, the Japanese and Koreans are building for the 98 percent.

Yes, I like the new Challenger...but I like the '70 it copies too. It's my same gripe about the Mustang. I like it, but it's not expanding sales or the market, whereas a good future-driven product would.

I guess I'd also rather buy a '70 Challenger with a small block for $10K than a new 2007 Challenger for $35,000, and have it worth $8000 in five years.

Bret

Yoda
I understand where you are coming from Sammy, but if you remember the dark ages of American auto making it wasn’t always like it is today. Back in the late 40’s, 50’s and to a degree into the 60’s - American automakers shunned the idea of anything that was radical, new and/or sporty. This of course opened the door for sports car manufactures like MG to bring over their products. Granted most Americans weren’t buying sporty cars opting for sedans & wagons and such. But there was a segment of the population (albeit small) that wanted something exciting. Cars like the Corvette & Thunderbird where looked down upon by executives and for the most part had to be developed under the table by a few courageous individuals.

The same thinking caught the American auto industry with their collective pants down in the early 70’s at with the OPEC oil crisis. Granted in fairness to the big three most Americans wanted big lumbering vehicles and could care less about fuel mileage or economy but in hind sight there was plenty of indicators and warning sighs of the things to come and the big three stuck with what they did best.

While I’ll admit that the reintroduction of the Challenger is aimed as a small segment of the population. I think it shows that they’ve at least tossed aside those blinders of old and ain’t afraid to venture out into other untapped or neglected areas.

The way I look at the Challenger from a design standpoint – Discounting the (FWD K-Car/ Omni years) I look at the current rendition as what it would have logically looked like, had it stayed in production these past thirty years. Not unlike the Vette & Mustang development over the years.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
At some point, the American manufacturers are going to have to actually create a modern looking car for the 98 percent of auto buyers who don't care about collector cars.

While American companies are building for the 2 percent, the Japanese and Koreans are building for the 98 percent.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I won't argue that a large percent of American car buyers don't care about collecter cars, I believe that what they do care about is having vehicle that has some type of character. I believe the sudden resurgence of 'retro cars' is Detroit's realization that character sells. If they continue to come up with distinctive vehicles I think they could make a comeback - if they continue building cars that look like Hondas and Toyotas they will lose the market to them.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Actually, character really doesn't sell compared to perceived quality and utility. Character only sells in the high end and in niche vehicles.

The problem is that Chrysler, GM and Ford have to sell mass-market products to stay in business.

The Challenger is not what the car would have looked like if it remained in production. It is a near identical copy to the '70 (plus some larger wheels.) Actually, it is a dead-ringer for a full-sized version of the Hot Wheels '70 Challenger with oversized mag wheels. If it would have remained in production with a decent design team, it would have a more streamlined, yet still edgy look.

I'm not sure that one can call a Challenger a "risk." Essentially, this is lemming-like. First the VW New Beetle and PT Cruiser, then the Mustang, GT, then Charger...this is just the logical progression. The Camaro will return looking like a '69 in a couple years (after the retro crazy peaks) ... mainstream sedans and minivans will be neglected (as usual,) and everyone will wonder why Toyota is number one, amd GM and Ford are in bankruptcy protection.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Camaro concept is ugly, IMHO....I still yell "Thunderbird" everytime I see one of the new ones...I want that soft green T-bird that was available for only 1 yesr

Wasn't the new T-bird really just a Jag clothed in Ford?