• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Dodge Challenger

Bret

Yoda
Kind of a follow up to my post on the San Diego Auto Show in the Pub Forum. Here are some more pictures of the new Challenger.

299063-Challenger9.JPG

299063-Challenger1.JPG

Follow the link for more: New Challenger

Personally if I ever tried to get one I'd be Black on Black or Plum Crazy (purple).

Attachments

• 299063-Challenger1.JPG
    299063-Challenger1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 282

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bret, do you remember the new Charger, that got rave reviews? Then Chrysler built a bloated four door and hung the nametag on it. I would expect the same with this one.
Jeff

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
I hope you’re wrong Jeff, But I’ve learned over the years not to count on the automotive industry to deliver on what they say they’re going to do.

However I seem to remember that when the Viper & Prowler went into production the vehicles where pretty much the same as the prototypes. So for now I get the feeling that the Challenger will be delivered pretty much as it is right now – a two door coupe.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I think Bret has hit the nail on the head. Chrysler know that the Charger missed the mark, and at the moment the Mustang has that market all to itself. They need something to compete with the Ford.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I hope I'm wrong too. But, having been in the business, and seeing how bad the bean counters can screw up a good idea, I tend to be pessimistic.
The original "Concept" Charger was instantly recognizable for what it was meant to be. An updated version of the Charger. You've all seen what they wound up with.
Jeff

R6MGS

Yoda
I hope it stays something like the concept....Next year when my son starts commutiing to university he's gunna need one of the cars....meaning a replacement modern car must be purchased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif and a two door coupe with 4 seats would be perfect!

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Granted the gal talking about the new Challenger was reading from a script prepared for her – but I clearly remember her saying that the production car should be pretty much unchanged from the prototype car on stage.

So I tend to think that while it might not be exactly the same – I really don’t think that Chrysler will stretch it out & slap a couple extra doors on it.

Moreover with the exception of the manual (6-speed I think?) I expect that the Challenger’s engine options & drive train layout will be identical to that of the Charger and the 300 – only shorter.

Another thing that makes me think Chrysler is going to come through with the Challenger coupe is that it looks like Chevy will release the Camero. I see some pretty stiff competition for the Mustang.

Anyway, I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

R6MGS

Yoda
I like the new Camaro alot too.....and if it came down to a choice between the two I'd go with the Camaro simply because my 84 has been so good to me, and the last chrystler product I owned was a rolling money pit.

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
I don't believe in the purchase of new vehicles, to be completely honest. I am of the "let someone else absorb the depreciation" persuasion.

However, this one I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about lining up and ordering, provided it comes with the Hemi/Manual Tranny.

R6MGS

Yoda
I am the same way too...I've only bought one new car my entire life(the 84 Camaro)...The Caddy I bought from the owner of a Jag dealership when it was a year old. Every other car has been at least 3 years old, I just can't justify a brand new car when you can get the same thing for half the price if it's not the current model year. I would consider an exception for the new Camaro though, as I'd probably never sell it anyway.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
I'm in the same boat when it comes to new vehicles. Personally I am content to stick with “slightly used” vehicles not so much for shaking any bugs out as much as the big hit on the vehicle’s depreciation. Now I might consider a new vehicle but I honestly don’t know if I can justify the Challenger at this time. As I really need a more utilitarian vehicle for work and I don’t really want to stuff the trunk full of a couple hundred pounds of tools & test equipment.

Maybe I can pay off my 2001 F-150 Supercrew and buy the Challenger. I might be able to talk my wife into to this idea, but she's going to make me get rid of the Porsche or the MG. If pressed I'll probably stick with what I have for now & keep the truck.

R6MGS

Yoda
Yeah...I've seen pics of your F-150...It's a nice truck. I had a 05 Supercrew two years ago because I was working a special project so the company loaned me a truck....It was great. I think if I was going to have one vehicle it would be one of those....everyone can fit in it comfortably, plus you've got all the cargo space you'll need.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Thanks Zack,

Yes as much as I’m a fan of the Challenger and am giving myself headaches trying to figure out a way to get one an keep a truck in the stable too. Admittedly I've been looking at the new F-150 Supercrew for a while now as a possible replacement for my current truck at some point down the road and think they're incredible. It's a bit heavier than its competitor’s trucks, but they’ve got a much smother ride. Topping it off, like most Fords the torque peaks at low RPMs in the power band where I like it.

I’m aware there are a lot of folks who detest Trucks & SUVs. But I’ve always thought that 4 door trucks where a modern marvel and always wondered why they didn’t take off sooner than they did.

Car and Driver has an article that tells why both the New Challenger and the New Camero will never outsell the New Mustang. Basically the Dodge and Chevy are based on newer, more expensive to build chassis... and Dodge is opting to not sell a 6-cyl low end model. I believe the Challenger will be a collectors item right outta the box. They also said that dodge and chevy both scratched their heads to find a way to make a $20k car, and can't do it. They'll more likely be in the $30k + range.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Hey everyone:
The inside scoop is to expect the Challenger will look almost identical to the show car. The interior will differ slightly, but this is basically what you're going to get.

Now, is it a great business move? That's yet to be seen, as projected sales will be below 100,000 annually. It's a shared platform, so some of the development costs are already sunk. The marketing value is pretty high.

Again, though, we get into a discussion of business value of "retro" designed vehicles. While I think this Challenger is absolutely beautiful, it doesn't necessarily attract new buyers in the levels required to regain a market-leading (or even third-place) level.

The guys over at Ford are figuring that one out, as current "hot" retro Mustangs require incentives to move. The annual sales of the retro Mustang fails to meet or exceed many of the years of the Fox platform 'Stangs -- and even has been outsold handily by the Mustang II!