• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Do you remember these??

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
While going through some old keepsakes, I came across these two items from 50 years ago. Do you remember them?

Attachments

• IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 143

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Remember them well Atlantic Richfield. $3.00 for 7.93gals. 30 cents a gallon. Even got your license palte. The licenses came in the mail, used to collect them but that was 60 yrs ago.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The license plate went on your key chain and the Disabled Veterans would guarantee return postage to you if anyone found them and dropped them in the mailbox. Motel keys used to be handled that way. I always wondered if there was a special department in the Post Office that handled those returns.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. Those are right up there with Green Stamps and jars of jelly that we got at the local pumps. The jelly jars ended up as glasses in the kitchen and the books full of stamps clogged the counter drawer until they got exchanged for some do-dad in the catalog. I do recall that my mother always asked Harrold ( it was his gas station) to check the oil AND the "water" in the battery, which he did each visit. When he handed us the receipt if I was close enough to an opened window he'd reach in and poke me and laugh " I got'cha". Today the police would probably be summoned if that happened, followed by much unpleasantness.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have less than warm memories of those gas pump credit card receipts. Back in the day I had a part time job at a very busy ESSO station in NJ, working the 10pm to 2am Friday night shift in bitter cold January. With cars lined up at the pumps, my fingers would get so numb writing up those credit card receipts, I couldn't hold onto a pen, much less write with it. We would always clean the windshields and headlights, and offer to check the oil. Folks paying cash would often tip us for the good service.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In the 1960's in collage in California I also worked nights 5:00 PM to midnight five nights over weekend. Green stamps Shell coins split rim wheels all part of the job. I had many good customers but I do not think I ever got a tip. At a Standard station nights and gas was $.35 gal I said mark my words ONE DAY IT WILL BE $.50 a gal. Many cons came in; Quick change guys, Radios out of the trunk of their car. A watch for gas. and of course the guy with the 45 auto that held me up. When you think of the good old times and the days gone by the one that still sticks with me was my 1962 TR 4 and later TR 250. Madflyer

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Madflyer, I had to laugh when you mentioned a Standard Service station. I was standing in front of the local Lu Hail's Standard station in the little (800 pop.) farming community I grew up in, when I saw my first Austin Healey 3000. It was driven by a beautiful blond. I told my 14 year old buddy, "I am going to get one of those someday"....He responded "Which one , the car or the girl?" I said, "If I get the car, I think I can get the girl." Three years later, I had the car (still have it) and I met the girl. (Still have her too.) Ah, the prophecies of a 14 year old....