• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Conundrum

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
How come every nut and bolt on a Spridget is standard while Front Bleeder Scews are 11 mm and rears are 7 mm? At least they are that size on Bugsy my '68 Sprite..

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Guessing they've been replaced. Nothing metric is original on a Spridget as far as I can remember...

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mine were metric in the front and standard in the back. I think it depends on where you bought the bleeder screws. Maybe the ones that seem metric are actually a whit-worth size? I just finished my front end. One of the grease zerks was not metric or standard.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
David,

After I wrote that note the name Whitworth came to mind. The bleeder screws are original to the best of my knowledge. I know there is at least one more Whitworth fitting on a Spridget somewhere as I recall but don't know where to find it. 7 mm works on the back of Bugsy and I've got the front soaking as DS wanted me to struggle a bit. Time for the PB Blaster to do its thing.

bugeyepaul

7/16" = 11.1 mm. Those wrenches are effectively interchangeable.
I just double checked the bleed screws on the calipers I have on my bench and both those wrenches fit with very similar amounts of play.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tell me about it, I ordered ez bleeders and went to put them in today. ya, metric aftermarket c*&p. wasted some money there.