• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What a conundrum

jnutz

Country flag
So I have a 74 chrome MGB that broke down back the end of 03 (carb/points/wiring), got married in 04. It has been in a barn since then last fall I had to move it to our garage. This week our church is doing a racing theme vacation Bible School, so I pushed it out washed and aired it and towed it in front of the church. We have gotten many calls asking how much it is selling for. Now my dilema is do I sell or put it back in the garage until the boys are older and can help me with it. Known needs: brakes, tires, complete interior (seat frames are OK, but carpet, padding, seat covers) some wiring problems - unknown extent. Some body rust, not sure of sill condition, but floors are solid. If I do sell, how much do I ask?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hoo boy! I understand your dilemma.

OK - How old are the boys? How long do you think it will be before you're ready to tackle it? Seems to me the earlier you start, the better the chances of "hooking" them. As they get older, they're going to find their own interests. Even at a young age, they'll be able to do help Daddy with little tasks, and nothing builds a relationship better. Think of how much you can get done over several years, just a little at a time.

Also, is your garage a safe place with regard to rust growth? And how attached are you to this particular car? "Bird in the hand", and all that. While there will surely be another car down the road, there's always seller's remorse to deal with.

If you do decide to sell, to price it, check ebay for similar cars.

Whatever you do, keep us posted!

:cheers:
Mickey

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh - and let me know where your folks found the racing theme for VBS. We're doing ours next week, and I'm always on the lookout for a fresh theme. This sounds like one I could get into!

Mickey

V

vagt6

Sell it. :yesnod:

Storing the car for years in a "barn" will only hasten its demise. Rust, rot and mayhem would render the car far more expensive and difficult to restore in the future.

Clean it up, get it running and sell it now. Then, if and when the boys are ready, purchase another in whatever condition you desire.

Cheaper and probably more fun in the long run.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Sell it and let the new owner give it life, don't let it sit on your someday isle! Thats "Someday I'll get to it, but in the meantime I'll let it sit and rot"
Previous poster is right. Sell it and buy what you want later.

"When you pass up one good deal, a better deal always come's by next"

MikeP

Jedi Knight
I'd agree, sell it unless there's some kind of emotional attachment you can't live without. Without proper storage you may find several years of setting, combined with all those teen and college expenses, will put it into the too expensive to get safe and running category.

OP
J

jnutz

Country flag
Boys are 3 and 6, but the space in garage is very limited (1 car with MG, 2 motorcycles, bicycles, toys, lawn mower, snow blower, tools...) not sure how much I want them crawling in there with me. Yes I was surprised how much worse it was after leaving the barn compared to going into the barn. Emotional value is non-existent, picked up as a toy in college cheap, drove and tinkered then let it sit. My fear of doing little by little is forgetting where I left off and where I put this or that. I am talking ti over with my wife to see what we will do. Would you think 1000 is too much for a non-running B?

P.S. Mickey, I sent a pm about the VBS

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If you get $1000 for a non-running B - Tithe! (Cause you just had divine intervention)