• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Coarse Vrs. Fine Knock Offs

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Found some new knock off nuts on Ebay. I just received them and learned that there are "coarse" thread and "fine" thread.

I never knew.

The adapters that I have that are worn out are coarse thread. Can you guys let me know if this is standard for our TR3/2's? Just want to make sure I don't get a good deal for a set that I can't use...

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've never run across anything but 8 TPI (coarse) on any sidescreen Triumphs, from factory wire splines to anything offered by the big 3 as aftermarket.
Frank

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Before about 1955 or so there were the fine thread ones (12TPI), after that they went to coarse (8TPI). I have some of each.
BillM

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There may have been some earlier Triumphs with fine thread; but I'm pretty sure the TR2 was introduced with coarse threads. There is no mention in the SPC or any of the restoration articles that I've read about a change in the knockoffs or hubs. Fine threads were used on other cars, though, like MG and Jaguar.

But do note that the knockoffs are "handed". A few TRs may have been fitted with the octagonal "safety" knockoffs as well (but AFAIK only the Stag had them as standard for the wire wheel option).

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Frank, Bill, Randall. Coarse is the way to go. That is all I had seen on the triumphs so far, but I got worried that maybe there was more to it.

Country flag
Late to the party, away from the computer yesterday. 12 threads on early Healeys, T series MGs and early MGA. Never saw a TR with fine threads.

Marv

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T why would an intake manifold stud have both coarse and fine threads? Spridgets 8
jsfbond House vrs Car Triumph 7
S TR2/3/3A ¼ fine square nuts Triumph 7
GTP1960 A fine lookin truck. Other Cars 3
David Townsend General TR Garage Sale! Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 2
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! British Motor Corp 1
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Sunbeam (Rootes) 0
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Jaguar 2
David Townsend General TR Annual Holiday Sale On Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Triumph 2
David Townsend General MG Annual Holiday Sale OnLimited Edition Fine Art Prints! MG 2
David Townsend Annual Holiday Sale On All Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Austin Healey 1
David Townsend GT6 GT6 and Spitfire Fine Art Prints Triumph 0
T MGB My '80 B used to shift fine MG 2
David Townsend General TR SALE! All Triumph Limited Edition Fine Art Prints! Triumph 0
David Townsend MK I, MK II, Cooper S Limited Edition Fine Art Prints British Motor Corp 0
David Townsend Post-War Other Swallow Doretti Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 0
David Townsend GT6 GT6 MK1 and MK2 Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 4
David Townsend Spitfire Spitfire MKIII Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Triumph 0
David Townsend XK120 FHC Fine Art Prints Jaguar 4
David Townsend MGB 1975-80 MGB Roadster Fine Art Prints MG 0
David Townsend E-Type Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Jaguar 3
David Townsend BN7/BT7 Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Austin Healey 6
David Townsend BJ7 Limited Edition Fine Art Prints Austin Healey 3
J Starter works fine but car catches after you let off on the starter Austin Healey 14
H Spitfire Triumph starts just fine but Ignition is 'Off' and key is in my wife's purse. Triumph 6
jaegzie Disc brake upgrade was fine now major alignment issue. Spridgets 6
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Restoration & Tools 2
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Austin Healey 1
Boggsy64 MGB King Pins appear fine am I missing something? MG 3
T Doug Reid AKA Mr. Fine Spanner Austin Healey 7
Schroeders Any of you fine folks have 1275 shift lever FS? MG 2
V Fine tuning the 1275, with unknowns . . . Spridgets 5
S Started fine after 3 years!! Spridgets 8
WALTER fine tuning body work Spridgets 5
zimmy runs fine but wont start Spridgets 15
YankeeTR Injection is fine but I'd rather be.... Triumph 2
G A fine time to have a VOR..... Triumph 8
boxofparts Another fine MF designed product Triumph 2
W OK Fine ... try this one ! MG 10
jaybird There's a fine line between hobby and illness MG 17