• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

carpet installation over dynamat

69sprite

Country flag
OK, here is an opportunity to berate me for how long this simple project has taken me.

I just finished getting the Dynamat (Eastwood equivalent) installed in my Sprite. I started this 6+ months ago, but spending time in South America, family life items, and avoiding a brother-in-law who wanted to 'help' me with my project delayed me on getting this done until today.

Tomorrow I am hoping to start the carpet/interior installation, however I thought I should to the 'prudent' thing and check with you guys to see what the consensus recommendation is on re-installing the carpeting over the Dynamat.
1. Should I just adhere the carpeting to the Dynamat?
2. Should I go find jute or felt to glue to the Dynamat, then adhere to carpeting to that?
3. I don't think I can leave the carpeting loose without adhering it to anything, so is there other ways to do this? (I don't have or plan to use snaps).
4. Lastly, any recommendations on adhesives? I was planning to use the standard 3M spray adhesive.

Thanks
Larry

What are the odds that your car will ever be out in the rain?
If there is any possibility then make the carper removable or you will have a very rusty car very quickly.
BillM

The odds for it being in the rain are somewhat low.

I have a nice little 'man cave' that was built just for my hobbies, including the car. Also, I don't really drive it when there is a reasonable chance of rain.... Lastly, I live in Texas...and we need rain. Haven't been able to see that much of it lately!

I have no experience in the process you are involved in now, but these questions come to me.

contact spray should do the job well, myself I would use the qt. can (flammable formula) and small roller. messier but better application. the concern is once it is glued it will never be able to remove without ruining the $$ dynomat.

I would probably consider glueing upright areas and Velcro the flat areas that cover the floors. so if those areas get messed up replacement is easy.

HOW ABOUT VELCRO STRIPS? MUCH LESS PERMANENT AND EASY TO USE. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT HAVE REASON(S) TO REMOVE.

Mine are not glued in and they slide all the time which is irritating- I am going to fasten them in someday, probably with velcro (thanks for the idea Rossco!)
BillM

If your dynamat equivalent is good, and applied properly, the carpet will peel off of it if you ever removed it. The padding is up to you, if you want a more luxurious feel under your feet, some additional noise/heat reduction, then the padding might be a benefit for you.

I use Weldwood Landau Trim and Top contact cement. If you have a local upholsterer you could probably buy some from them. You can brush it on. I spray it when I use it with a cheap spraygun. Apply the glue to both sides, LET IT DRY and then stick the two pieces together.

Billm said:
Mine are not glued in and they slide all the time which is irritating- I am going to fasten them in someday, probably with velcro (thanks for the idea Rossco!)
BillM

I used velcro - wider strips - to attach my carpet to the (metal) floor. When i pulled them out they pulled off the velcro. I will be installing snaps.

I had the same experience JP. I'll be using snaps.

I have cut and installed carpet in a few of my project cars and re-used old carpet in ones I didn't want to invest a lot of money in. I have applied carpet over bare (painted) metal and sound deadening material. The final choice is up to you but I can offer the following comments.

Having something under the carpet generally makes the carpet "feel" better but isn't necessary. I used jute in the GT6 and will probably never do that again. I used jute because it was original and available... but the GT6 has a roof. I would not use jute on a convertible as it is a great sponge for holding water. You can use regular (thin) foam carpet underlayment if you want a relatively water resistant padding under foot.

I have used several things to attach carpet. Start by using the snaps the factory would have used. Dry fit the pieces, mark the snap locations to correspond with what is on the floor, do not put the snaps on first and hope they line up.

Do not use carpet glue. At some point you will regret using carpet glue. The Velcro idea is fine but if used in some places it will be "visible" as lumps and it won't necessarily be easy to use if you are also using the foam underlayment. I have had the best luck using cloth reinforced carpet tape in combination with the original factory type snaps. There is some NASTY carpet tape out there. Check it before you buy. The good stuff will have what looks like white bed-sheet material with sticky stuff on both sides. Avoid the stuff that looks like clear goo with the occasional fiber running through it. Carefully placed squares of carpet tape will hold the pieces of underlayment down and hold the carpet to the underlayment. By limiting how much you use you will be able to peel the carpet and underlayment up when necessary but still hold the carpet in place during normal driving.

I glued mine with 3M adhesive spray to the fender wells and the vertical panel behind the seats after I put Dynamat down. Everything else I can lift out, as I do tend to get in rain quite often.

Thanks Guys for the input. I decided to go with the last idea. I am gluing the rear fender wells and the vertical panel. I may also consider the velcro idea for the driver and passenger foot wells, as I really can't stand those sliding all over the place.

Larry

I opted for painted rear fender wells as I was using a home grown carpet kit. That curve over the fender wells proved tough to duplicate.

As an underlayment/sound deadening I used a piece of linoleum cut to size under the front seats. No water absorbtion. Would do it differently now but one advantage is it keeps those drips from clutch and brake from coming in contact with the floorboards.

Old mounting holes from stock seats remain in place as very effective cockpit drains after I installed the Miata seats.

Glue it down to the dynamat with 3m adhesive spray, i used industrial strength velcro strips for the tunnel. If you carpet has a foam backing that is a pain as the foam tears off. trial and error.

Mark