• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Beware Used Parts Purchasers

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
If anyone advertising to purchase used spare parts has dealt with a "Gerald Blas" from England recently and never received their items, please beware if offered parts by a "Martin Collins" from the UK, as both share a common address. "Gerald" requested pre-payment via Western Union where he could access the cash in the UK, so that's another indicator of the need to tread carefully, as the parts are never seen.

TR3B George asked for this to be passed on as a result of his bad experience.

Regards,

Viv.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Sad to say that there are the occasional con artist out there in our hobby. I have never been stiffed but have received some parts the looked great in the pictures but then found that they had not been well cleaned or well finished. On the whole I have been quite fortunate in buying used parts.
Thanks for the warning though, helps to know before hand on folks like that!

Tinkerman

PeterK

Yoda
I've purchsed parts that look good in the photos, only to receive them and find the the ebay seller had painted them flat black to hide the imperfections (rust). So be careful there too.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PeterK said:
I've purchsed parts that look good in the photos, only to receive them and find the the ebay seller had painted them flat black to hide the imperfections (rust).
I once bought a 'rebuilt' starter that proved to be full of blasting media! No biggie, as I'd bought it for a core anyway, but it was amusing and amazing to see what was inside.

However, this thread seems dangerously close to Basil's rule of "no ebay bashing", so I won't name the seller. Let's just say that eBay is the ultimate "caveat emptor" venue, especially when buying from overseas.

In other words, there is a reason it's cheap! As my Dad would say, hay is always cheaper after it's been through the horse
grin.gif

PeterK

Yoda
TR3driver said:
As my Dad would say, hay is always cheaper after it's been through the horse
grin.gif

Sounds like something my Dad would have said. His favorite was "It's all about money." Spot on Daddy-O.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
My Dad said, "Don't buy a pig in a poke."

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[No message]

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
A poke is what you carry yore poke salad in.
If you're lucky, you can get poke salad Annie to carry it for you.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
How about you can`t make a purse out of a pig`s ear!
I too have gotten parts from {we all know where} and they were less than advertised! Promised partial refunds, that I never recieved.
Unless I really really need the part and can source it no where else. I avoid you know where. On the other hand ...... I have also received some excellent items from the same place so it is {as my dad would say} a crap shoot at best.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I didn't know what a poke was, but I'm wasn't planning on buying a pig! - perhaps just to clarify, the origin of this thread isn't about ebay - its about advertising that you need something in a club forum, something like VTR or your own local club, then apparently the con artist contacts you and says he has it. A wire transfer later, and a few weeks waiting for nothing, and you are out of luck. Sounds like it could be a risk, but in my case I think I'm too paranoid to drop coin for something sight unseen. Occasionally buying junk on a certain online service however, guilty as charged.. and since I have wound up getting negative feedback once for apparently committing that error as a seller - let me add one more saying: "One mans treasure is another mans junk"!

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Sorry, I'm from West Virginia.

A poke is a sack.

A Poke Store is a Liquor Store.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not meaning to be priggish, but "Poke Salad" isn't the proper name. It's actually Poke <span style="font-style: italic"> Sallet </span> . Listen to Tony Joe White sing; you'll hear him pronounce it correctly (even though the title says otherwise):

Vvlj6YA&feature=fvw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

From the Urban Dictionary website:

"The term poke sallet is an old Southern term for the cooked young leaves of the poke weed. Sallet comes from Middle English and refers to a mess (another Old or Middle English term) of greens cooked until tender. The term Polk Salad is a gentrified way of referring to poke sallet, and I'm afraid it reflects our inferiority complex when it comes to standing up for our Southern terminology. We are not making a mush of Polk Salad; actually, we are being true to our English ancestors who settled here a long time ago."

V

vagt6

". . . the gators got his granny" who was allegedly workin' on a chain gang.

Tough girl, granny. :lol:

Fab song, that! :yesnod:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
And I thought "poke" was a verb... :hammer:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
martx-5 said:
And I thought "poke" was a verb... :hammer:

Facebook says so!

Tom74TR6

PeterK said:
TR3driver said:
As my Dad would say, hay is always cheaper after it's been through the horse
grin.gif

Sounds like something my Dad would have said. His favorite was "It's all about money." Spot on Daddy-O.

Mine was "the best part of a sh$t sandwich is the last bite"

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
J. R. - I know a guy in England named Gerald Blas who will sell you a pig. And at a very convincing price that you can't resist. But he can't ship it in a poke. And he won't ship it at all. He'll just go to the local Western Union office in England and collect your money. Then he will disappear - only to re-appear as his alter ego Martin Collins.

Wouldn't a pig or six have fun down in that soggy bottom below your two sheds ? I remember that I couldn't set up my tent to camp there because it was too soggy.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mickey Richaud said:
"The term poke sallet is an old Southern term for the cooked young leaves of the poke weed.
BTW, they should be cooked (boiled) at least twice, preferably 3 times, with the water discarded between boilings. Poke weed contains a poison, but the young leaves contain less of it, and boiling helps remove the poison.

Also interesting (to me) is that the name "poke weed" (aka polkberry) has an entirely different source than "poke" as in a sack (or something you "poke" things into).

https://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph24.htm