• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another fun project landed on my steps

Well for the last six months I've been going at it like a crazy man, digging myself out from the biggest mountain of work I've ever experienced in my shop (Acme Speed Shop) 6 year history. All the work just came at me at the same time, I knew it was going to be a enormous task, but as I work on the last engine in the huge lot of work, I can see light at the end of the tunnel and things getting back to more reasonable manner at my shop. With that being said I look very forward to two upcoming engine builds that just happen to involve a couple of forum member here, both are very interesting projects, of course I'm speking of Ray and Drew's 1275 hot rod motors or as I like to refer to as "fantasy motors" meaning both of these fellas are letting me buld neat performance motors with alot of goodies in them, for sure alot funner for me than your average run-of-the mill stock MGB or Midget 1275 engine that has buried me in work for the last six months, so I enter into these projects with alot of spirit, knowing that next few months at my shop will more interesting than say the last six months.
Recently a person that I've known who they were for a very long time, well because they are in my eyes and alot of people's eyes, a TV celebrity. This person has always had a love for Spridgets and MGBs, since thier childhood, and never lost sight of that. A month or so ago, this person contacted me about taking a look at a Spridget 1380 engine they had. Honestly I do talk to alot of people everyday about thier cars and thier projects, so I learned over time, don't get excited about anything unless it lands on your steps. Well yesterday I was on the phone at my desk and looked and there was my famous friend stranding there with a smile on his face. He brought me a used very low mileage engine he had aquired about 5 years ago, he wanted the engine looked over to make sure he could use it without a rebuild, since it's not far from being brand new, but has sat for atleast 5 years. The engine itself is quite interesting, it's a A+ series 1275 that was built by Swifttune in the UK as 1380 Swiftune Road Rocket engine. Already without getting into this motor I can tell you, no expense was spared, I need to do alttle more research but I supect the block started life as FWD A+ seires 1275, and was converted to inline RWD use, then next thing I can tell you is it has a pretty set of Titan roller rocker arms on it and a the Timing belt set up rather than the timing chain set up, it also it already set up for the Datsun tranny. First thing unusal you see about this block is where the oil exit fitting would be on a normal inline 1275, it has a boss for a spin on oil filter there, as the oil exits into the filter and renters the engine at this point, totally different than most US A-series engines. Anyway, it looks like between Ray and Drew fantasy motors and getting a good look around this motor, my next few months are going to be a A-series engine lover's dream.

Hap, glad to see you back on the forum. Shame when work gets in the way of pleasure. It is nice when you can combine work with pleasure.

Very cool Hap, I would love to see some photos! I wonder if you got that from Mike Joy?

What a deal. Glad things are getting back to a reasonable level.

Don't be a stranger, we hang on your every word. And yes, pictures are required, haven't you heard?

That sounds like a fun motor to be investigating.

It's nice to be busy (always good for a business owner), but also nice to have something fun to look forward to. I'm certainly looking forwards to my motor build. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

John Moore said:
Very cool Hap, I would love to see some photos! I wonder if you got that from Mike Joy?

Well I guess we'll just have to call you Dick Tracy /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hap Waldrop said:
John Moore said:

Well I guess we'll just have to start calling you Dick Tracy /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Here's a picture of the beast, notice what I was telling you guys about where the oil filter is located, pretty wild huh. I interested in finding out more about orgin of the block, Metro? Mini? but it for sure is a A+ series block, which probably means it has larger rod crankshaft journals as well, you the rod crankshaft journal stayed the same on all the A-series engine we're used to seeing 948/1098/1275, but that made them larger for the A+ engines.

Attachments

• 8068.jpg
    8068.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 62
Very cool engine. Should be interesting once you get it opened up and see what other goodies are inside.

Sure would make getting to the oil filter easier.

Very nice. Wonder how one gets ahold of such an engine???? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh my goodness, looking forward to hearing/seeing more on this engine. Make it preaty as well on the outside Hap.

Rimflow valves, with ceramic coating on the exhaust valves and piston crowns, teflon coating on the skirts. Reworked head with volume-matched combustion chambers. Gilmer belt timing gear, 1.5 roller rockers, shaved flywheel, competition Datsun clutch, gear reduction starter, larger diameter alloy water pump pulley, wedged crank, reworked and balanced rods, three angle valve grind, and TOTAL rotating mass balance. (from harmonic balancer to pressure plate)

OK Hal, besides a billet crank and Carillo rods, what did I miss?

Glen

Glen,

I guess we'll find out in the near future, it's awaiting it's turn /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I'll say this though, nothing you mentioned isn't something I have already done before to a engine. It will be nice to see in a UK built engine, but I don't expect to be shocked, after seeing Huffaker, Tabor or my own work, we can do ever bit as good as the Brits can, maybe better in racing because we got much better gas to make some real horsepower with /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Personally I don't see the need for the A+ block, if we can run them up to 9000 rpm in racing without a normal A-series block and not explode blocks, then they are pretty tough, although it does make for neat conversation piece and wil be very uniqe on the side of the pond. I would never suggest trying to find a A+ block from the UK for this purpose, too costly, too much overkill.

So, Hap, I've got all these 948 FWD blocks stored in one of my buildings....

Oh really.