• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

amber SP250 turn signals

spnx

Jedi Hopeful
I've noticed that some SP250s have the top lens in the rear in amber. Mine are in red.

I often rail against American cars for having all-red turn signals, which don't show up as well as ambers.

Is that lens available? Why are some red, some amber? Is that a domestic or European market standard, or is it indicative of the year the car was manufactured?

Finally, I really can't remember, and my car's being restored, when you hit the brakes, do all the lights come on, or just the lower set? i.e., if I go with ambers, will some rewiring be necessary?

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I believe the Daimler just uses 3 generic Lucas sockets so you can buy red, amber or white lenses for them.

One should be turn signal, one running lights and one brake lights. They may run dual filament bulbs so that the turn signal lamps come on brighter with the brake lights - if not, that would certainly be a sensible way to wire them.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
James- the rear lower -I think- are running, top are brake/signal. I have never seen anything but red on the rear. I have seen the front turn in orange rather than clear. As mentioned above, standard Lucas should be available so make it the way you like it, but you will be changing the brake, too. Whatever you do, don't lose the chrome surround for the tail lights, scarce as hen's teeth.
BTW, if you are going to need any parts now may be a good time to order from David Manners while the dollar/pound rate is better.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
spnx said:
I've noticed that some SP250s have the top lens in the rear in amber. Mine are in red....Why are some red, some amber? Is that a domestic or European market standard, or is it indicative of the year the car was manufactured?
The "all red" is typical of "Export" cars, particularly those to the USA and/or what Lucas refers to as the "North American Dollar Area" in their Master Catalogue. Same goes for all-white front side and flasher lamps in front. This was typical especially around the time the SP250 was current. Older fans of American cars might remember that the 1963 model year was the first that American cars got amber front park/turn lamp lenses; it took a lot longer before most any American car got a separate bulb for rear turn signals, let alone an amber lens for same!

OP
spnx

spnx

Jedi Hopeful
Someone else mentioned the all-white fronts as well, but mine are amber fronts with reds in back!

Perhaps that reflects our British heritage here in Canada, whilst acknowledging that the car was shipped overseas :wink:

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Could well be exactly that. Following the Ebay auctions, I see a few cars with the orange front turn lens but don't think they were being sold from Canada. In almost 50 years, they may have been changed...more than once.