• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Adding gear oil to the gearbox?

OregonTR4A

I was under my car (TR4A) today and was tightening up every bolt I could find. My car had not been diven much in the last 5 years and I put about 800 miles on it getting it home. I almost lost my fuel pump as I could turn the bolts by hand. Both of the air cleaners rattled off as well.

I topped up the rear end and wanted to top up my gear box as well. From what I could see it looks like I would have to pull the transmission tunnel to get at the fill plug. Am I looking at the wrong spot?

Thanks!

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
I don't know about a TR4 but on my Spit it's about halfway up on the side reachable from the bottom. It's not a comfortable job but doable. I use a pump with a long piece of tubing. Sta Lube sells the gear oil with the reusable pump.

OP
OregonTR4A

OregonTR4A

Hi eejay
Thanks for the reply. I did not think about the pump. I will look into getting it. Where did you buy yours?

I think I saw you and your car the other day in Salem. I live up on Little North Fork but work in Salem. If it was you it is a nice Spitfire.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Should be able to reach it from under the car. Not easy, but doable. Feel around on the LH side, just in front of the circular bulge and above the reinforcing rib.

If it's the stock plug, a 7/16" 8-point socket (available from Sears and most tool stores) will make the job easier. But I like to replace the stock square plug with a hex socket plug, which takes a hex key (1/4" I think), and is even harder to see.

As mentioned, most auto parts stores should sell a lube pump for putting the oil in.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
You do not have to pull the tunnel to get to the plug. With the car safely on jack stands you can easily slide under the car with a quart size container of gear oil. The major stores all sell the little screw on pump so you can fill it to the plug hole.

Try to keep the car about level if you can, and don't over fill the car.

Now, definitely consider this advice before you do anything to that plug. I would not advise that you use standard shouldered socket and nor an open end nor box end wrench, and certainly not a crescent wrench.

My advice is to use a square opening wrench that you can buy at a good tool shop, or used tool shop. I have a short seven inch or so wrench with a square opening that slides right over the plug, and you'll have plenty of leverage. You can also buy a special square opening socket. This is a special wrench made just for that plug, and you'll see it sold on ebay and other locations.

If you strip that plug you'll be in world of hurt. I know 'cause I was there. Hours of drilling out the plug.

If you aleady have a good plug, others here may tell you to use a standard socket or open end wrench. I'd not want to do that after my experience.

Good luck.

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
If you haven't already, look around for advice on what to use for gear lube. Most say the modern GL5 can corrode the brass parts in the 'box. I went with 20/50 NON DETERGENT (ND) motor oil. I've found it at Advance autoparts, Shell brand, before. (But, I'd recommend doing some internet searches and making your own decision on what to use based on the totality of what you can find out!)

OP
OregonTR4A

OregonTR4A

Thanks to all for the information. I am off to get a pump and a square opening wrench. From the fill plugs location I could see how it could easily be stripped.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
On the green TR3A I finished last year, I cut a large hole in the tunnel beside the gearbox fill hole and close it under the carpet with a rubber plug that is also used for the jack hole in the floors.

Attachments

• 7299.jpg
    7299.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 109