• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1973 MGB help Please

53caddy

Country flag
Hi i am new here i got my dads old 1973 mgb in bad condition. i need help with it can anybody explain to me how to get the body of the frame. i am looking on doing a body up restration ,and where should i buy parts from any help would be nice. please help thanks

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!

First off, there is no frame on an MGB. It's a unibody car. And there are several vendors that can help. You should probably start with Moss Motors, Victoria British, and The Roadster Factory. You can access them online with a Google search.

Also, check with your local British car club. If you're near Nashville, the Nashville British Car Club is a good resource. (I'm in Clarksville, and a member. I have a '73 MGB as well.)

Mickey Richaud

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
First, Welcome to the hobby...

Now, there is no frame - its a uni-body car...possibly you need to get a book titled "The Original MGB" by Clausinger & study it to learn a bit more about the little car.
If you want new parts, call Moss Motors, 1-800-667-7872 or ask one of us...for used parts, there are a few of us out here who have them....good luck.

OP
53caddy

53caddy

Country flag
ok so it is a uni-body thats the reason why i couldnt. thanks for that info well where should i start working on this car. i live in the chattanooga area btw, and i have been working on and off of it for 5 years. i know i need to proabley re due floor, and also i have the haynes book what other books should i need, and let me know what parts u might have that i might need

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
ok so it is a uni-body thats the reason why i couldnt thanks for that info well where should i start working on this car i live in the chattanooga area btw and i have been working on and off of it for 5 years i know i need to proabley we due floor plans and also i have the haynes book what other books should i have and let me know what parts u might have that i might need

[/ QUOTE ]

I too live in Chattanooga, and own a 1974 MGB. Our local club, the Southern British Car Club, has been a great resource for advice, and the drives we take at least once per month give a good opportunity to check out other well-maintained cars and see how yours compares. Check them out at www.southernbritishcarclub.org

Now, you said the car you inherited is in bad shape. How bad is it? Rust, mechanical problems, animals made a nest of the interior? I don't mean to be flippant, but just about anything on these cars can be remedied with time, work, and cash. Alot of it depends on how much you're willing and able to invest. There's nothing on these cars that's terribly complex by modern standards.

My own car will probably never be a showpiece and could use some bodywork, but I enjoy it and will remedy things as I'm able. But I can enjoy it now, and that's really the important thing.

OP
53caddy

53caddy

Country flag
their is rust places in some spots. the mechanical problems is not running. my grandfather put it up in like 1983 and he passed away in 1984. so i dont know what all he did when he put it up. my dad is mechanically inclined i took all the interior out i was just thinking of replacing it. animals made a nest in the engine bay area and tryed to clean that out a while ago. i am willing to invest as much money as i can when i do have it since i am a college student. which is far between so i look for the best deal and maybe when i get out of college i hope it might be close to a show car.

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Please find or repair your period key. You should be able to place a dot like this . after every sentence. It will make your questions MUCH easier to understand.

Guinn

OP
53caddy

53caddy

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Please find or repair your period key. You should be able to place a dot like this . after every sentence. It will make your questions MUCH easier to understand.

Guinn

[/ QUOTE ]

how does most of my post i fixed look like now mr. english teacher? J/K i understand what u are saying

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
No offence meant. Much easier to understand now. I hope I didn't sound too bossy. Tony is right in that "Awaking a Sleeping B" is the place to start.

Guinn

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Jonathan -

Please don't snip at Guinn. Most of us old geezers don't process information like younger folks, and rules of grammar were pounded into us mercilessly! There is a wealth of information on this forum, and it would be a shame not to have access to it just because of inability to sort out a post.

On another note, I'm glad that William mentioned the Chattanooga club. They have a great show - I believe in the fall - and you should check that out, as well as find out when their regular meetings are. Lots of advice there, and it would be a good opportunity to check out similar cars.

Keep posting and keep the questions coming - it's how we all learn more about these great cars.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

OP
53caddy

53caddy

Country flag
Guinn i didnt mean to be snapy or anything like that. I was just giving you a hard time. i also understand where all of the "old gezzers" are coming from. i do apoligize if i meant to be snapy or rude i didn't mean to.

Jonathan

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif hehehehehehehehe

OP
53caddy

53caddy

Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif and why not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Thank you, Jonathan. When some of us get into our 80's, we do appreciate having info be easier to digest. It is also harder to not be a know-it-all (Something I tend to be).

By the way, I did teach English, but only for one semester. I was teaching English to Chinese Air Force techs. When we started, they knew about 3 words in English and I knew about 40 words in pu tong hua (mandarin Chinese). Much fun!

Guinn

OP
53caddy

53caddy

Country flag
I am thinking about taking mandarin chinese. Is it a very hard language to learn?

OP
53caddy

53caddy

Country flag
[image]https://www.tgnagy.com/mgb/images/200509/[/image]

Ok guys now here is the question. How do i get those finders off and that side panel to make it look like this. and also any help on how to get the dash board off. I want it to look like this before i take it to the body shop. Also, how do you get the gas tank off.

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Mandarin is very easy - if you start when you are a year old!

Actually basic spoken Mandarin is easier for an English speaker to learn than English is for a Mandarin speaker to learn. This is my opinion but may not be correct.

Sorry, I have never removed fenders or dashboards. However, fenders should not be too much of a problem. First, get yourself a good manual. I think Tony and others who dismantle LBC's would suggest the Bentley manual. I use Haynes but find it lacking in many ways. The manual should help you with both the fenders and the dash. Good luck,

Guinn