• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield Post Get Painted?

Blonde Healey Girl

Country flag
While reading Brian N's post about seatbelt saga I noticed in his picture that his car is exactly like ours (except we may have a few more spokes) also his windshield posts are not painted. Neither are mine. Winter project is to paint the whole car and I was wondering what's the deal with the posts. To paint or not to paint, that is the question! Thanks,
Shelly

You are right, they were painted. I think the other reason many were not repainted later was due to poor fitting side screens rubbing the paint off.

Just a consideration when you repaint.

Andrew Johnson

Hi Shelly,

How's Wynn?

My car was painted silver when I bought it in 1978, hence the posts were either silver or aluminum. When the car was painted white during the early 80's, and the posts stayed silver (or aluminum). Now the car is about to be painted a metalic burgundy and I plan on leaving the posts silver (or aluminum).

On most of the Healeys I see, I think the windshield posts look better bright (silver, polished aluminum or chrome).

BTW, my car isn't concours (or original...)

Hi Shelly,

As near as I can tell, Brian's BT7 was built between July & Nov 1959 & is a 3000 (Sometimes called MK1). Your car appears to be in a similar age range. All cars before the 3000 MK2 which which was first built in Mar 1961 ORIGINALLY had aluminum windshield posts PAINTED body color. MK2 & up cars had chrome windshield surrounds.

Some folks like the look of polished windshield posts even if it is not original. I guess that you can take your pick. I don't know how important "original" is to you.
D

[ 11-12-2003: Message edited by: Dave Russell ]</p>

BHG,

I like em polished. See my sig pic.

Tracy

Dave,

You mentioned the probable build date of my 1960 BT7 as being between May and November of 1959. This is very likely. I have ordered a Heritage Certificate, but it has not arrived yet. There is a 1959 date stamp on the distributor (but that may mean nothing if it was swapped at some time).

The complete VIN is HBT7L/5101. I believe the body number is 5808. If you have data sources that can pin down the build date, I would appreciate any info you can forward to me.

BTW, I did fix the backward front wing chrome. In fact a new set came with the car, unmounted. I installed them both correctly. Had to pull out the heater motor to get to the nuts, but that's OK, it needed cleaning and servicing anyway. So it goes...

Thanks your your help.

Brian Neuschwander

Brian,
Mine is HBT7L5753 and some how thru various articals I calculated that it was built in November of 59.I do not have my Certificate yet so I can not be sure ,Hope to get it over the winter.
CDK

To insert an opposing view, I like them painted. Chrome maybe, but polished aluminium shouts "owner modification" to me. For corrosion protection, they should be anodized.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian N.:

The complete VIN is HBT7L/5101. I believe the body number is 5808. If you have data sources that can pin down the build date, I would appreciate any info you can forward to me.
Brian Neuschwander
<hr></blockquote>

Brian,

Your best bet may be to contact the BT7 registry

BN7-BT7-I
Bill Naretta
404 Peach Tree Circle
Loves Park, IL 61111
815-282-5003
mnaretta@aol.com
D

My 1960 BN7 was actually mfg November 1959, number HBN7L/ 5432. Maybe our cars were crib mates!(Going down the assembly line at the same time) Mine is a AH 3000. I painted my windshield posts body color. Most say it looks better that way. I did find that the first time I put up the top I scratched them. But it truly is your decision. I think the polished windshield posts look good on dark colored cars, particularly black. But again, that's just my opinion.
driving.gif