• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Where to Buy, What to Buy? Axle Nut

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well I have searched and have been to the MGA Guru's site. I know the size 1 61/64". I had gotten some suggestions from my search, of some sockets that others have found even at their local parts store. When I go to try to find these units nothing comes up. Wilmar W31477 is one the Guru says may be very good but nothing comes up when I search. British Tool supposedly has one but I can't find it. Others say a Ford 4 x 4 socket fits but I don't see anything at Autozone like that. The MGA Guru says the unit offered by Moss is too loose. Where specifically can I get a good MGA axle nut socket at a decent price? Be specific. Bruce

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The factory tool is 18G152 made by Churchill and Zelenda. It was used for the Austin-Healey 100 (up to chassis 221535), the Metropolitan, the Sprite, the MGA and MG Magnette and others. They come up on ebay periodically. A network search should show you what it looks like.

Here's a different version of the tool: ESM. Another possibility is from English Parts. I don't have any experience with either company.

For the later big Healeys, a 12 point socket is often used. You might be able to find a socket to fit the MGA nut. If you go that route, I would suggest grinding the face of the socket flat as the nut is thin.

Scargo

Country flag
I use this 12 pt. 1-7/8" 3/4" drive socket. It's labeled "Northern 1-7/8 CR-V", so I am assuming I purchased it from Northern Tool & Equipment. It's worked like a champ for me many times on my Sprite.

Attachments

• Sprite Rear Axle Nut Socket.jpg
    Sprite Rear Axle Nut Socket.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 16
OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks guys. English Parts may have what I want unfortunately their description stinks with no picture. Good to know a 12pt works. I may go that way if I can find one. MGA Guru says start at 140 ft lbs and go up so I want a good fit so it doesn't mess me up or the original nuts. And I have another MGA that I may get to use it on. I, by luck am getting to borrow one I think but still want to get my own. Bruce

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I bought a 3/4 drive socket set from Harbor Freight when I needed to take the crankshaft not off (and axles) - also because it is very manly to have a 3/4 socket set. That said the individual sockets seem readily available - amazon, Home Depot etc.

1712366751243.png

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well I got to meet Barney "The MGA Guru" yesterday and he said to go to the local auto parts and buy a pressed steel axle nut socket for Ford 4 x 4 fronts. Stopped at O'Reilly's on the way home and guess what? They said I would have to order it. I need to see/measure one to see if it will work unless someone gives me a specific item number. I will look at NAPA and see what they have. My loaned socket mentioned above did not work out so still looking. I may have to order the one from English Parts. JP the problem is with a socket set is what fits 1 61/64" 8pt axle nut? Everybody seems to think this is not much problem but it seems to be hard around here. A club member is loaning me a 1 7/8" 12pt socket to try but even if it will be big enough is will only catch 4 corners max. Bruce

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP the problem is with a socket set is what fits 1 61/64" 8pt axle nut? Everybody seems to think this is not much problem but it seems to be hard around here. A club member is loaning me a 1 7/8" 12pt socket to try but even if it will be big enough is will only catch 4 corners max. Bruce
Not doubting you and having no desire to rip mine apart, but, 1 61/64 seems such a non standard number - I have been googling around to see if it is a whitworth measurment - though in fairness I have no idea how to read the charts google showed me.

1 60/64 = 1 15/16 which is 1/64" smaller - and I would suggest a 1/64" gap over almost two inches is the amount needed to let it fit.

1 15/16" is on Amazon

Also, 1 31/32 (62/64) = 50.1 mm so a 50 mm socket should also work

weird.

:cheers:

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
None of the local auto parts stores (I went to the 4 big ones) have the stamped steel axle nut sockets anymore. I found a couple that were way larger but that was it. So I found a Textron 12 pt 1 15/16inch socket on Amazon and ordered it. Hoping it will work. Bruce

Scargo

Country flag
Post the results after you receive and try it. If it's too large, PM me your address and I'll loan you my 1-7/8" socket which I mentioned earlier in this thread.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I wanted to post the result of my trying a 12 pt 1 15/16" socket I ordered. It did not fit well at all even though decimally it is the same size. I did get the nuts off but it did start rounding off the corners. I did grind the beveled surface of the socket. No way I would be able to torque this back on at over 140lbs. I am going to order one from one of the parts suppliers out there specifically for this but wanted to post the result so nobody would waste their money. Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_3568[1].JPG
    IMG_3568[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8