• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Venture into the "dark side," Miata seats in a TR3

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
OK, I may have gone over to the dark side, but I left a clear path between worlds. When I had my TR6, I hated the seats on long drives. They probably just needed to be rebuilt. A friend gave me a pair of Gen 1 Miata seats. They looked pretty bad, but I threw a set of Wet Okole seat covers on and drove the car. I did purchase the brackets for the install that matched up to the “standard” holes in the floorboard (not sure if there is such a thing). The brackets were like solving a Jenga puzzle. My son has that car and recently replaced the seat covers with some matching the interior. Fast forward. Another friend gave me a set of Gen 2 Miata seats. I decided to try the seats in my TR3. They were snug but fit. I decided to build my own brackets. I mocked up the hole placements with a corrugated plastic realtor’s sign. I knew from dealing with Miata seats before that the four bolt-in points are higher than the bottom of the seat pan, so you have to elevate them. The passenger and driver mounting locations are slightly different. I used 3” wide X 1/8” thick metal and 1” square metal tubing from Lowes in the construction. I was going to weld capture nuts inside the square tubing, then I discovered “elevator bolts” and used those. I hadn’t welded in over 50 years and suddenly wished I hadn’t joked with my son about the need to be either a good welder or a good grinder. I borrowed a friend’s lightweight TIG unit and bought enough extra metal to practice. I was happy with the results, all the holes line up and I can swap seats from original to Miata or back in about 45 minutes. I found matching vinyl at Moss Motors, but couldn’t get them to sell me pieces large enough to do the job. When I purchased the car, I got a scrap of vinyl, matching the rolled area around the top of the cockpit and the face of the dash, large enough to make a bimini top. I sourced five yards of that vinyl for the seats from Spradling International (their plant is only 10 miles from my home). I used Mr. Mikes, > MrMikes Miata Upholstery Kits < to stitch up the new seat covers. He stopped making covers for the late Gen 2 seats (1999-2001) that I had, so I traded for some early NA cloth seats. Mr. Mike’s detailed instructions made this a doable DIY job. The quality of his work was impressive. I can’t say that the seats really fit the look of the car, but for any long trips, I know they will be more comfortable and safer.

A few things to watch.
Miata sites (and fans) will say that NA and NB seats are the same. Basically, they are. There are two different early style seat bottoms. In 99, they changed the seat back between Gen 1 and 2. The inner seat belt on early seats is on the tunnel. On the later seats it is on the seat rail and had to be ground (cut) off to fit the seats in a TR3. My seat belts were already added to the car and are bolted to the floor near the back of the cockpit.

Elevator bolts are welded on the bottom of the plate.
IMG_3729a.jpg

Original seat location holes used.
IMG_4067a.jpg

Yeah, they are taller. Sitting height is the same. You can remove foam and lower as desired.
IMG_2726a.jpg

Finished product.
IMG_2730a.jpg

Last shot. I guess when I use my Brooklands screens, I'll be cleaning bugs off the headrest!
IMG_2731a.jpg

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I for one like this (bad necks need help) Nicely done, it is IMHO a safety upgrade. As such does NOT detract
from the car even in a "concourse " setting. Getting hit from behind aint fun.
Make sure you have may favorite 4 brake lamp conversion.( Inner lamps with 2 filament housings from the
front lamps and a jumper wire over to the brake lites) LED's light up faster/brighter too.
MD(mad dog)

OP
jfarris

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
Thanks MD. I went full LED and used Randall's (TR3Driver RIP) three relay configuration to add brake lights to my outer rear lights (1956 TR3 with center only stop light) while keeping the center mounted brake light. I had originally thought about a DRL conversion and decided why not just turn on the lights whenever I drive.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Just happened to see a picture of these seats floating by on the media slide show on the main forum page - Looks good - and I'll bet it's a lot more comfortable!

TR loco

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi jfarris! I installed early Miata seats in my TR3A, with upholstery by Mr. Mike's. I installed the seats with the recliner levers against the transmission tunnel (I installed the driver's seat in the passenger location and vice versa). This rotates the rear of the seats a bit towards the wheel wells. I like the looks and the comfort. However, I could really use several more inches of leg room. It appears to me that the stock seats might offer as much as 4 inches of additional leg room. This is because 1) the original seat backs are about 2" thinner that the Miata seat backs, and 2) the backs of the original seats are curved which should allow them to move further back before the seats are stopped by touching the wheel well (the backs of the Miata seats are not curved). I noticed you posted a photo with both an original and a Miata seat installed. Did you find any difference in the leg room between the two seats? Also, is anyone aware of a high-back aftermarket seat that fits in a TR3A and offers similar leg room to the original seats? This would probably require the aftermarket seats to have a curved thin back. Thanks all!

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a Miata seat rail kit for the TR3 if anyone’s interested.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I came across this shop in the UK that does a very nice Miata seat conversion. Apparently, the ROW got a version of the Miata seat with a removable/adjustable headrest. Personally, I think it looks much better. Only issue, he does not ship. His website notes third party companies which you can contact to arrange shipping
> Mobile <

Bob

OP
jfarris

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
When I originally searched for replacement seats, I looked at several that I had considered for other cars. They would fit, but didn't look right - too rectangular and perpendicular. Think early Porsche 911 or 914 sport seats. Also, BMW 3 series sports seats from 1981-1988 found in many E-30's.
For UK shipping, I've had great luck with DHL, but never used an independent shipping agent. A Miata seat broken down into two pieces would be a possible fit for a small shipping barrel or a commercial dishpack. You might want to contact auprichard on this forum, I believe his family has a familiar UK car business that ships to the US.