• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A IRS Issues and Smashed Thumb Question

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I removed the driver's side half axle through its trailing arm last night. WOW, is that a two man job? I have a Limited Slip Diff (non stock) off a Nissan, and I couldn't get the axle to stop turning as I ratcheted the flange nuts off the differential mating plate. Putting the car in gear made absolutely no difference.

Now, on that same topic, when I say the axle would turn, I mean really really really slow and hard. Nothing will spin freely.

Question: Won't the axles and wheels on an LSD differential spin freely when the car is in the air. Maybe the pressure on the half axles hanging down while suspended prevents them from turning freely. Turning them was extremely difficult, but they turned enough to make the removal of the flange nuts an awful chore.

Anyway, any illumination there would be great. I just want to understand what was going on. The theory of the LSD, and what turns and why. What a hassle!

An added note of possible interest: When I finally got the first nut to break loose, my breaker bar went slamming into the car frame. I can't in plain words quite explain the instant pain, and the rapidly elevating degree of it. The sounds in my garage of tools being dropped amidst groans and rolling eyeballs would be entertaining on a WebCam. Holey Moley I've got an entirely black and blue thumbnail. I wanted to cry but couldn't. I just walked in circles for a good ten minutes waiting for the pain the subside. I feel like I've been hit by a five pound hammer. Luckily, I've got another day off to recuperate with this enlarged throbbing red, black and blue thumb.

Thanks for any advice. (Sorry for the long post)

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sadly, I know nothing of LSDs. Honest, officer!

I do know something of blunt force trauma, however.

Lots of ice! Keeps the swelling down. From the tone of your description, perhaps an x-ray is in order. Though, I don't think they can do much with that part of your body, knowing whether or not that bone is broken might affect the way you treat it -- and your expectations about when it will feel better.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
So were you able to fit the entire half-shaft through the A-arm even with the modification for the Nissan differential?

I've never had any experience with an LSD so I'd only be guessing there!

Scott

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes, there was a larger flange for the Nissan, and that flange had been modified so that the regular flange was attached to that.

Thinking that through--wouldn't that mean that my half shafts are "scrunched" together an extra 1/4 inch?

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm going for another batch ice right now. It seems to help a wee bit. I've never broken any bones, so I hope this isn't the first.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I the thumbnail dark? i.e. is there blood beneath it? That can be relieved somewhat by making a holes in the base of the nail using (as I recall) a drill or hot needle. Yeow - Google it or see the urgent care (though it would be way cool to use your cordless drill on that thumb).

I feel your pain.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes it's very red and blue under the nail; I'm going to see about a needle; my wife at TMC said the same thing; no drills please:smile:)

G

Did you try sticking a long bar between the wheel lug nut studs to lock up the axle or leaving the brakes together and have someone stand on the pedal while breaking the bolts loose. If the emergency brake works real well that,might do it.Crying???? Come on! It's a badge of honor.Pain is such a rush. It feels soooo..... good when it stops.Had a friend who got his thumb stuck in a Harley chain 6 links deep once. When we had to back it out,he swore in tounges not spoken since biblical times. His nickname since has been BT {Beaver Thumb}. Kinda flat like a beaver tail.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Back to the bruised thumbnail. Bend open a small paperclip, hold a match or lighter to the tip until it turns red hot. Lightly press the red hot tip to the nail at the point where the blood has built up underneath. The tip will quickly melt through the nail in a second or two - creating a small hole that will relieve the built up pressure (and subsequent pain).

Tr4dude

Make some ice water and put some salt in it, that will lower the freezing point and stay colder longer, dip you thumb in it after you burn a whole in your nail.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I spun a small drill bit between my fingers until I was almost through the nail. I then heated a thin needle under a flame and pushed that through (carefully). It bled instantly, five good drops at least, and the pressure is greatly relieved. I'm also beginning to think straight again, and I can remember most of my math tables.

This Forum is a blessing.

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
ITS NOT WORTH IT IF YOU AIN'T GOT BLOOD SWEAT ANT TEARS IN IT... A SHOT OF JAMESON WORKS WELL FOR THE PAIN.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My testes are tied up tighter than a Iowa trailer park in a Tornado after reading that whole thread.
Yikes!!

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this subject. The blackened nail not the IRS.
Unless you are at an urgent care that has the proper drill bit when you pierce the nail the hole is too small to allow most of the pooled blood out.
The same goes for the heated needle, again the tapered end of the needle has the same results.
This leaves the prefered paper clip/propane torch method. This procedure leaves a hole the diameter of a paper clip which will allow more blood to flow before it seals itself.
If you try this at home (not a great idea) wait until you are done to have the Jameson. You need a steady hand.
Please don't ask how I know all this. It's embarasing.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
KVH said:
Yes, there was a larger flange for the Nissan, and that flange had been modified so that the regular flange was attached to that.

Thinking that through--wouldn't that mean that my half shafts are "scrunched" together an extra 1/4 inch?

OK, I'm trying not to think about your thumb and its treatment (ouch!) so back to the original issues. :smile:

Can't really answer the question about the half-shafts being scrunched together without knowing the width difference between the Nissan differential with flange addition and the TR4A differential.

I think I saw someone mention this but putting the car in gear and applying the emergency brake should have kept things from turning on you. Did you have a wrench on it in addition to your breaker bar (nut and bolt)?

Scott

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes, actually, I did have a wrench on the axle nut.

But I'm beginning to see that I should have left the brake drums on and applied the emergency brake.

That seems to be the mistake I made. I wasn't thinking it through--I needed the drums off to get the half axles out, but I should have simply waited and first disconnected the axle flanges at the differential.

boeingpilot

Country flag
KVH - Just out of curiosity, is that one of the Goodparts Nissan kits you have? I've been toying with the idea of installing one in my TR4A. Also, when you sustain an injury while working on your TR it's common practice to cradle the wounded digit and scream "Thank you sir, may I have another!", and then press on with your project.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'll remember that line. It's a good one. Is it from Oliver Twist, or something newer?

Yes, that Diff and Kit are from Goodparts and they've been on the car for several years. Everything seems well designed.

I just bought the car, and I'm trying to chase down some noises and knocks from the rear. I think the bridge and fastening studs are fine, so I'm focusing on the half shafts and U-Joints, and I'm not sure I've found any problem so far.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you were a horse......Draining the hemotoma is good as along as you are up-to-date on your tetanus Vx and you do not have a fracture. If the bone is fractured you've just set up a possibility that you could get an infection in the bone (open wound). Keep it clean and covered with Neosporin. Soak it frequently in Betadine solution and warm water (enough betadine to make the water look like ice tea). If the pain does not resolve or you get a purulent discharge it is time for an X-ray and a visit to the Dr., especially if the entire thumb is black and blue and not just under the nail.

Dr Paul your LBC loving Veterinarian.