• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR Frames - RATCO now has website

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Just FYI. this company has come up in the past when repairing or replacing TR frames has been talked about - I found out that they now have a website: https://www.rat-co.com/ NFI, but I was impressed when I spoke to Tony awhile back.

I'm a member of the Long Island Triumph Association and was in on the original frame build for the TR6+6 that's mentioned in the blurb on Ratco's site. The first frame that Tony actually made for a TR6 was for another club member several months ago. When the car was finally put on the alignment rack, everything was dead on. It took less shims to get everything perfectly aligned then I've seen on most TR's. Tony is fastidious. He's done a ton of research and developement on this project and has bought some nice hi-tech computerized equipment to fabricate the parts. He loves these cars, and wants to see as many as possible remain on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Dang, I wish you hadn't posted this. I have always wanted to build a LHD TR5 and this would be an excellent way to start. I know, I know, it won't be the real deal, but there are ways (oops, I shouldn't have said that)....

What a great site to dream over.

You guys are going to get me in trouble yet!

Bill

Don,
I am led to believe that there were indeed a few LHD TR5s manufactured for export, perhaps Canada or Belgium. I think that a LHD TR5 would be the ultimate TR, period. Kinda like the 427 Cobras that Carroll Shelby is still manufacturing over in Texas, still real Cobras.

Bill

I might be having the wrong memory here, but didn't Charles Runyan of TRF have a LHD TR5 at one time? I know it had injection, and I could have sworn it was LHD. About 15 years ago if it was true.

I visited Charles, Dave and all the rest of the gang over in Armagh about 3 years ago and no mention was made of the TR5. I think that it has been wrecked, but salvageable. Not sure. There is one in California somewhere that has been restored.
Also one somewhere in the Carolinas. Gotta be the ultimate TR.

Bill

I met a Frenchman about 5 or 6 years ago who had moved from France to Montreal and he brought his TR5 with LH drive and petrol injection with him.

Don Elliott

Interesting. Had I been that Frenchman, and perhaps had to make a choice between bringing my wife over or the TR5, I would have to think for a while....
Really a sexy car.

Bill

Just the total exclusivity of a car that is rare, and designed to drive on American roads.

Bill

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a member of the Long Island Triumph Association and was in on the original frame build for the TR6+6 that's mentioned in the blurb on Ratco's site. The first frame that Tony actually made for a TR6 was for another club member several months ago. When the car was finally put on the alignment rack, everything was dead on. It took less shims to get everything perfectly aligned then I've seen on most TR's. Tony is fastidious. He's done a ton of research and developement on this project and has bought some nice hi-tech computerized equipment to fabricate the parts. He loves these cars, and wants to see as many as possible remain on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke to Tony shortly after the TR6+6 writeup came out on the web and asked him about how he did the frame - guess I was one of I'm sure many people who convinced him to build these frames. I really like the options he's offering on the frames too! Now I wish I could just afford one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

When thinking of doing a frame up resto and you have to deside if you should spend the mony on reepairing that old stamped u-chanel rustfilled frame that will cost an arm and a leg to restore or go with a new box steel frame that dosn't cost that much more, I think it's pretty much a no brainer. I have seen these new frames and matrix is right they are well built and each one he builds gets better. I am there just about evey weekend and yes he is very careful and precise when he works.

[ QUOTE ]
Don,
I am led to believe that there were indeed a few LHD TR5s manufactured for export, perhaps Canada or Belgium. I think that a LHD TR5 would be the ultimate TR, period. Kinda like the 427 Cobras that Carroll Shelby is still manufacturing over in Texas, still real Cobras.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the members of my club has a TR5 PI that he imported from Belgium. The car has no build blate, due to tax reasons, it was assembled in Belgium.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to drive it, and it was awesome.

First Frame finished and shipped yesterday. I REALLY WANT ONE!!! It is nice.

Ab,
Can you just imagine, a new box frame, a Heritage body...
Building a TR6 from scratch has to be every young (and old) man's dream! What do you think it would cost to do such a thing, assuming one would only want to make a "new" TR6 and not necessarily a retro-mod or a steet racer?
This would have to give more pleasure than restoring an existing car. I think you could get a VIN from a another car.

Bill

Well, considering you CAN spend upwards of 5k on bodywork and paint, the 2500 that you'd drop on a chassis might not be a big deal in the scheme of things. I'm not sure how much the body would cost but in some cases you might save money depending on how much body work needed to be done. Not sure that a TR-6 would be worth at this time, but you'd have a new car.

There is a place in CT will build you a new one for 35k. Do a search online for it.