• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I have been RATCO-ized...finally!

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I received the new TR4 frame from Tony @ RATCO on Thursday afternoon. After the debacle surrounding the frame with the dealership, everything finally worked out and I was like a kid on Christmas morning unwrapping the new frame.

Tony is a world class welder and fitter. This frame is better than I expected and well worth the money. Most likely worth more, but don't say anything to Tony. The powder coating is flawless and all the welds smooth and even. I was shocked at how much more it weighs than my old rusty bondo covered frame. Not that it's really that heavy, it's just that my old frame was mainly left as rust deposits on my driveway when I removed it.

I had the rear tube shock conversion fitted and to my surprise, Tony installed a spherical rod end shock tower brace to balance any possible lateral movement. I haven't decided on shocks yet, so any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

I liked the work that Calico Coatings did so much on my engine work, I was thinking of sending them all the suspension hardware that support any rotating bushings. I plan on using after market nylatron or similar type bushings, and I've heard a great deal of complaints with squeaking, so I was considering having Calico coat such parts with their slick graphite coating.

Right on Tab, right on!

So, and you knew this was coming, when does starting to put her back together start happening?

I've watched Tony develope these frames over the past few years, and he does turn out a quality product. He's a perfectionist by nature and very good-hearted when using his facility and tools for working on your TR...just don't leave anything laying around! :hammer: He's got as CNC plasma cutter that he uses to form alot of the pieces that go into the frame, and he just keeps making improvements to the designs. At this point in time, it's really all sorted out to near perfection. He's even made changes to his original jigs for the assembly and welding of the frames to make it things easier and more precise.

The guy has done his homework and makes an excellent product.

The engine and transmission work are keeping me plenty busy, but I have have been doing a bunch of research on some upgrades to the suspension, rear end, brakes, etc. I'd like to make.

So far, I've "almost" settled on the following:

1. Big brake kit with Wilwood calipers from PRI and Alfin aluminum rear brake drums from whoever has the best deal.

2. Dual master cylinder unit from Racestorations.

3. Rear Panhard rod and front and rear anti roll bars from Racestorations.

4. Quantum Mechanics is going to rebuild my rear axle with a Salisbury LSD and a 4.1:1 ring and pinion.

5. 16" x 7" - 3 peice wheels from Compomotive with Toyo Proxes RA1 tires.
I'm considering having the wheel arch flares in the aluminum fenders I'm using enlarged slightly to accomodate the larger wheels.

I'm up in the air on bushings and shocks right now, but have been looking and talking with Protech shocks in the UK.

Hey Tab, Do you have any pictures?

Since I'm spending your money, I would buy either Spax or Koni's. Quality and adjustability are good selling points. Spax are nice since they can be adjusted in place. Konis, well, are Konis.

Pictures @ 11:00

I had adjustable Koni's on my 911 and I thought they were a little stiff, but still good shocks. I will most likely use the Spax shocks if the Protech shocks don't work out.

Yeah Tab, what's up with that????

The torture has gone on long enough!!

Re: I have been RATCO-ized...PIC'S

I'm having some techincal difficulties. Please stay tuned.

And now, a message from our sponsors.

spam.gif

I'd have to buy new jack stands--or else a space at MOMA or the Art Institute--if I ever had such a smart looking object to display.

That looks super. Keep the progress pics coming as you build it up.

Wow, that is a work of art.

Dumb question, but are those arms coming off the rear shock mounts for tube shocks? They seem further out than I expected - they don't interfere with the rear wheels?

Randy

Tab,
you might want to look into QA1 shocks. There is no specific listing for triumphs but they can help you out. They appear to be a good deal, IMHO, for double adjustable shocks for a car like yours. That is the route i plan to go.
Rob

TR4nut said:
Wow, that is a work of art.

Dumb question, but are those arms coming off the rear shock mounts for tube shocks? They seem further out than I expected - they don't interfere with the rear wheels?

Randy

I dunno...I don't have any wheels :driving:

The good thing about this build is that I can change or adjust any element needed. Since I'll have the opportunity to fit everything before fitting the body, I can make chassis or body modifications as needed. For instance, if the tires appear that they may interfere with the suspension or body, I can make any adjustments necessessary, i.e. cutting or adding fender lips/flares, raising or lowering suspension, moving stuff, etc.
The point being that I'm not hemmed in by the premise that everything be dead stock, concours judging original. This way I have room to screw things up...lol.

BUT, Ratco has done a bunch of these modifications already and it hasn't been a problem yet.