• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A super charger TR3

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Still waiting!!!
I am getting second thoughts on the super charger The thrill is leaving.......
My wife and I like the lines of the MGB/GT . I had a 67 GT that I gave to my Father that he drove for many years and then sold before he asked me if I would like it.. Anyways for the cost of the S.C. I could get a decent GT. Then the cooler days we could take the GT instead of the TR3. It would be more pratical for my wife (it's a hair thing). Just thinking out loud.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
You can also supercharge the MG!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dan
The darkside is calling Ventura Craigslist

3kc3ma3oe5V55W15U2b5g6c40864549291183.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I can't believe I'm saying this Dan - but go for the the GT! No doubt about it - you can have twice the fun with the two cars, I'm not sure you are going to get twice the fun with a supercharger (more fun, yes, but not twice the fun!)

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If you are looking for a hardtop have you thought about a Triumph GT6? The interiors are tight, so you have to see if you fit into one comfortably. If you can, the GT6 would probably give you everything an MGBGT would, and it's a Triumph. See you Sunday. John

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JKB1957 said:
If you are looking for a hardtop have you thought about a Triumph GT6? The interiors are tight, so you have to see if you fit into one comfortably. If you can, the GT6 would probably give you everything an <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">MGBGT</span></span></span> would, and it's a Triumph. See you Sunday. John

Don't you mean a MGB hardtop?

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
John
Sat in a GT6 very tight fit, and I have the emotional attachment to the MGB/GT . Besides we live in liberal California where every british car is equal.......

LBCs_since_1988

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
DNK said:
Don't you mean a MGB hardtop?

Are you just being silly? There's no way you can have 10,000+ posts on a British Car Forum and not know what an MGBGT is... inside joke maybe?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just thought it was odd someone selling their car and didn't know what it was called

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Dan, the GT6 is a very tight interior, not as bad as a Lotus Europa, but still tight. Since you like the MGBGT, check out ebay they have 3 GT's in the NorCal area.

Willie_P

Jedi Hopeful
My wife and I used to tour long distances in our chrome bumper BGT. Great car, cannot tell you how neat it was to be cruising on clear roads with snow coming down and the heater going listening to jazz music.

Please go and find the "Side Glances" article where Mr. Egan waxes on the benefits of GT life. ...and we all know he's a roadster junkie.

As well, B's in general are really solid/screwed together well and the GT only adds to the body stiffness - a really superb car. I now drive a TR4, but it's more boy racer and less distance tourer.

Mine only had 24,000 original miles on it and I was the second owner just after receiving my undergrad degree (in 1998).

Just my 2c.

Attachments

• 25304.jpg
    25304.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 245
V

vagt6

I love both these cars, but please note that a BGT and a GT6 are ENTIRELY different rides. Compared to a spritely GT6, the BGT is a road touring car.

If both cars were set up basically stock, the GT6 is more like a racer. For one, it's significantly faster, lighter and quicker. The interior is small: if your're taller than about 6' or so and 200+ lbs., forget it, it's untenable. It's not easy to get in and out of, either, unless you're very short/skinny in stature. Also, GT6 body panels rattle on bumps, and there's more road noise inside than the MG. The GT6's strong point is <span style="text-decoration: underline">handling</span>: in it's day the GT6 could out handle most cars in its class. Plus, the sound of that smooth, roaring six is one of the meanest among all LBCs, IMHO.

The BGT has TONS of cockpit room compared to a GT6, there's really no contest here. The BGT is <span style="text-decoration: underline">far</span> more comfortable to drive, enter and exit. And with the monobody construction it has fewer rattles and the cockpit is quieter. However, it doens't handle anywhere near as well as the Triumph. Plus, the BGT weighs about 400 lbs. more than the Triumph, one good reason why it's such a nice tourer.

Bottom line: the BGT is a tourer; the GT6 is a sports car. If you drive both, the decision isn't difficult because they're so different. :yesnod:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Willie_P said:
As well, B's in general are really solid/screwed together well and the GT only adds to the body stiffness - a really superb car. I now drive a TR4, but it's more boy racer and less distance tourer.
Of course, one could "blend" the two concepts, resulting in:

1963_Triumph_Dove_GTR4_TR4_Hardtop_GT_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

the Dové GTR4! :devilgrin:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Could have gone the rest of te month with out drooling over that, Andy

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I remember back in the 1970's there was a Triumph "Dove" that lived in the Lake George, New York area. I wonder what ever happened to that one.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry, I admittedly have a thing about TR4s, but if I really needed a hardtop it would be a surrey setup - not a Dove! I never have adjusted to the lines of that creation.