• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridget Registry and bolt-nut database

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A little while ago there was some discussion about building a fastener database for Spridgets, that would list all the little bits that fit our cars. There was also some discussion of an online Spridget registry, since none seems to exist that we could find.

I took on the task of coming up with some software to handle this (I'm a web programmer by day). I wound up needing a similar bit of software for a work project, so I took the opportunity and wrote what is essentially a community-updatable database module for my web management software.

What this gives us is the ability to have a database table with whatever sorts of fields we like, including images and documents (like PDF files). The table is searchable, as well as filterable by specific fields. The general public can browse and search, while individual registered users can add entries and edit their own entries. Administrative users can edit any entry.

I'm interested in both of these projects, and am happy to get this up and running on my server (I've got lots of space and bandwidth). A few things, like requesting a login/password, are still a manual process, but I'll eventually get that automated. If there is enough interest, we just need to settle on the fields we want to use, and we can be going quickly.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That was me Drew.

Lets start a Bugeye registery, what you say.

Not sure folks want to put email addresses, or real addresses and phone numbers but should have provision for them.

Year, Vin #, color, interior, hardtop, engine, State, City, Remarks (like speedwell or something) )Daily driver, sunday car, show car).

What else shoul we have folks?? Step right over this.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
If the general public are viewing, it goes without saying which fields should be hidden.
How about, upon registration, the user provides an engine number, or VIN, or something else applicable only to spridgets so spammers don't get in.
I like the idea Drew.
Usual stuff I would image,
make (MG-AH), Model (Sprite MkX, Midget MkX), year, Engine type (A30, 12CJ etc), owner name etc.
I'd like to see what, if any, modifications have been done such as rebores, hot cams etc.
Would be interesting to track the vehicles too, such as listing by vin or something to see which ones are still around and where.
Chime in, I'm missing tons, this is a worthy cause.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But there is no Bugeye or Sprite registry so why not do a Spridget one.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Jack wrote and I quote:

[ QUOTE ]
Lets start a Bugeye registery, what you say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already is one run by a chap in Oz, guys!!

Somebody do a search in autox List. It will pop up.

I gotta go pack to go to Lost Waages for FREE!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Ed

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I gotta go pack to go to Lost Waages for FREE!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh??????
Whuhh, hoo, eh????

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You can not access the one in OZ except by paying for it.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Darn if I can find one useing that search criteria.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Maybe we need to try to team up with this other registry to see if we can combine efforts. This sort of thing should be public and free, at least in my mind. It's a valuable resource. There seems to be an "Austin Healey Sprite Global Registry" out there (in Pennsylvania?), but there is no web site or access I could see. Just a physical address and phone. Anyone familiar?

I would certainly not make public address/phone/email info. No need for more spam for folks, or worse.

In the end, I'm just a programmer trying to help out. I certainly don't want to step on any toes, or redo work that has been already done elsewhere. Mostly, I just have the software written and saw this as a good way to help out.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
There is a Bugeye Database. Both of my Bugeyes are registered at this site. Here is a link that will put you there so you can add your car. Have your Yahoo Login and Password handy and go to:

https://tinyurl.com/abr78

Enter just the number portion of your car, ( e.g. 501-50116?) and the database will place it in order. The other fields are self-explanatory. You can edit your car's information.

Diamroyal

Freshman Member
I think it's a fabulous idea...I mean, yeah, you can have a registry for one or the other, but there's /not/ one with both, and since they are /so/ close to each other, it's really a shame. I mean, we have several midgets, and we're working on expanding our bug-pool, too, so it's inconvienent to have to switch between databases

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
No one seemed incredibly interested, so the idea sort of faded. The software is still available, and there are a couple of spridget registries around. None are all that accessible, but they're out there.

62Migit

Country flag
Me too!

I found this thread months ago (searching for bolt sizes) and was sad to find it back in the archives. I would be very interested in a database of bolts/nuts. I've been making bi-weekly trips to OSH to pick up replacement hardware and something like a database would make life much easier! Even if 95% of the fasteners are 10/32, 1/4, 5/16, or 3/8UNF, it still helps to know what should be where. I've had the most difficult time figuring out where the grade 8 hardware should be located...

Mark