• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Splash panel with stay ? Grille installation ?

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
On my 65 BJ8, I have the two front splash panels as seen as item # 10 on the Moss cataloge page;
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28952&SortOrder=17
They are flopping around a bit and there is a hole in the bottom front side of each panel. What does the stay look like ? I don't seem to have them but I need to do something to pull these splash gaurds toward the inside of the car and hold them in place. I made some out of threaded battery hold down rods and u shaped metal brackets that I bolted into the holes and the bent ends of the rods went into the holes on the upper panel cross brace, item # 7 . The problem is that my home made supports are too close to the grill opening and I don't seem to have enough room to install the grille. Item #15 is for BN7 and BT7, not BJ8.
What do the supports look like for a BJ8 and where do they go ?
...Which side of the grille goes up, the black painted side or the metal side ? What is the trick to install the grille, surround and the grille hood on the outside of the shroud ,(items 66, 69, and 60) on; https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28958&SortOrder=47
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi ED , No Item 15 are the steady brackets also used in the BJ8. These brackets bolt to the side panel and then get sandwiched in and bolted to the grill's lower mounting bolts.The bottom of the grill inbetween the teeth are painted black and go at the bottom. The grill eyebrow fits "behind the lip" of the grill. At the top of the shroud are two holes that support studs which attach the grill in place.Similarly, there are two brackets rivited to the bottom of the shroud which require bolts to attach the grill and them #15 things at the bottom. Additionaly, there is a small fitting and a bolt in the exact center of the grill at the bottom that must be fitted. The trick to installing a grill is to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and bear it. It really isn't that bad its just ticky---Fwiw--Keoke
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
QH! if you leave those #10 panels out til last it will be easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

To get the grill in place remove the RH road wheel and that #10 panel and slide the grill in through that opening.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Which side of the grille goes up, the black painted side or the metal side ?

If I understand you correctly, the crimped portion of the grill goes towards the top.

OP
Ed_K

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Re: Splash panel with stay ? Grille installation

As always, thanks for the tips ! So the Moss cataloge IS missing the BJ8 for item #15 and those brackets go over to the lower grille mounting bolt(s).. Remove the front passenger wheel and the splash panel and slide the grille in from the side. The black paint between the grille teeth goes toward the bottom.... One last question, can I get away with using some threaded rods with a nut spun on to the middle or should I just spend the $4.95 x 6 plus shipping and wait for the next package to arrive from the left coast ?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Spend da money, Spend da Money ED. I think Moss erred in listing their #15 I think all the six cylinder cars use the same part.I do not understand the last Question "x6" there are only two #15's required.---Keoke

OP
Ed_K

Ed_K

Jedi Knight

Sorry, I didn't communicate very well, ( thats what my wife says sometimes ), I meant can I use some pieces of threaded rod instead of the 6 special fasteners shown in the moss cataloge to hold the grille pieces together ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yes ED, I guess you could do that but its sure a lot of nuts and washers to contend with. If you want simpify it a bit I used SS #12 Lag screws and those snapin Nut plates.I placed the nut plates so all I had to do was thread the lag screw with a lock and flat washer on and tighten it up. I used this same method for the air panels where they bolt to the top of the chassis.I did this because every time you need to do a water pump requiring that the Radiator be pulled I did not have to fight those nuts and bolts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif-Keoke

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

My local Healey club guys had a big debate about whether the eyebrow trim goes inside or outside the grille surround trim. One of the old men swears that he was told by a guy who worked on the assembly line that there wasn't a right or wrong way, it was just a matter of who was ahead on the line as to which piece went on first. If the grille guy was ahead, then the eyebrow trim went on after and it was on the outside, and vice versa. Of course, this guy also swears that the reason there's so much variation in Healey blue is that they were always running out and would use whatever blue they could get their hands on because they couldn't slow down the line or they would get in trouble.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

You know, before the days of formal Quality Control Programs, it is very possible that the old guy is more right than wrong.

I have heard stories that when they changed colors they just pored the new into what was left of the old and pressed on. (small amounts remaining in the guns I am sure) After all those folks have always been thrifty and the Healeys were produceing a car on the cheep from what I understand.

OP
Ed_K

Ed_K

Jedi Knight

" After all those folks have always been thrifty and the Healeys were produceing a car on the cheep from what I understand. "

They certainly were very " efficient with a pound " when it came to using fuses to protect the electrical system components !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
Keoke, After I couldn't locate any 1/4 x 24 threaded rods at Lowes yesterday, I decided not to take any chances installing the three $ 1200.00 to replace grille parts. I am now waiting for another box to arrive from your coast. It's not like I don't have plenty of other tasks to complete on the car while I wait for the new grille fasteners and splash gaurd supports to arrive.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Well I can buy the paint story but if the grill has been installed you can not then install the eyebrow.? Having an after thought, I think for this case the preponderance of sightings [Evidence] should establish the right way around--Keoke---

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior

[ QUOTE ]
I did this because every time you need to do a water pump requiring that the Radiator be pulled...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never yanked a radiator just to change a water pump?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And how OFTEN are you changing your's?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My Hortense's is Original!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed
'63 BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey wearing STD. ILL plates AH BJ 7 )

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I did this because every time you need to do a water pump requiring that the Radiator be pulled...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never yanked a radiator just to change a water pump?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And how OFTEN are you changing your's?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My Hortense's is Original!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed
'63 BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey wearing STD. ILL plates AH BJ 7 )

[/ QUOTE ]

---Well it seems some people just like doing things the hard way---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Well I can buy the paint story but if the grill has been installed you can not then install the eyebrow.? Having an after thought, I think for this case the preponderance of sightings [Evidence] should establish the right way around--Keoke---

[/ QUOTE ]

We actually took a survey, and about a third had the eyebrow over the grill, two thirds the other way around. Since I was in the top third, we decided that the bottom two thirds just got the common version and ours was "special". Worked for me.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

SHG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior

Two third of ya'll have them on right! BR1
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif or as you say the other way around.

We actually took a survey, and about a third had the eyebrow over the grill, two thirds the other way around. Since I was in the top third, we decided that the bottom two thirds just got the common version and ours was "special". Worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]