• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pistons - Old vs New

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thought I'd share a comparison between the OEM piston and rod system and what now can be used to obtain the highest level of performance.

The difference between the stock piston/rod and a high-performance piston/rod combination is 10oz. in weight, and a whole lot more total real performance (horse power & torque).

Two Pistons 1.jpg

Two Pistons 2.jpg

Two Pistons 3.jpg

The 'skinny' rings have to reduce friction quite a bit, too, and probably reduce bore wear. Most/all new cars have similar, the downside being possible higher oil consumption. Manufacturers often claim 1qt/1K miles is 'normal;' i.e. not cause for warranty repair (typical or worse than a well-built Healey engine).

I agree with Dougie, However, there are less extreme options than Dougie's for a street car. I used Carrillo pistons and rings in my new motor but kept the stock rods (much cheaper:smile:). The Carrillo piston/ring/pin set saved 5.1oz from stock piston/ring/pin set. And total cost for set was $835 vs Moss list of $489 (an extra $350). Bob is correct about much less parasitic drag and cylinder wear from 3 thinner rings.
IMG_4972.JPG
IMG_4981.JPG

I just saw a post that said a Formula 1 piston costs $65,000 each and the engine cost $9 million. Can that be so? Sure makes our engine rebuilds seem reasonable.

Dougie, I would expect an anti-scuff coating (dry-film lubricant) on the skirts, but I'm surprised they don't have a thermal barrier on the crown.

Edit: but those pop-up pistons and rods sure are pretty!

Adding an oil shedding thermal dispersant to the undersides, well that's just gravy... ;)

i.jpg

The S54 engine I just built using store-bought Mahle Power-Pak pistons meant that I didn't have to do the polymer coating process myself!

Last edited:
Hello Randy -
The skirt coating was something I added after receiving the pistons from the custom manufacture. I'm still not convinced on the long term life cycle of a thermal barrier on the crown/dome on a race motor. The NASCAR, NHRA, CART, etc. guys tear down their motors 10:1 to me and I'm really trying to make it 50:1.

Pistin Shirt Coating.jpg

What is your compression ratio with the new pistons? And what octane do you have to run?
Hi Jerry -

I run a 12.5:1 compression ratio on 110 Sunoco or VP leaded race fuel only. I should have clarified, this is build is for my dedicated vintage racing
1957 100-6 MM.

'57 100-6 MM PRW T2.jpg

I agree with Dougie, However, there are less extreme options than Dougie's for a street car. I used Carrillo pistons and rings in my new motor but kept the stock rods (much cheaper:smile:). The Carrillo piston/ring/pin set saved 5.1oz from stock piston/ring/pin set. And total cost for set was $835 vs Moss list of $489 (an extra $350). Bob is correct about much less parasitic drag and cylinder wear from 3 thinner rings.View attachment 86916View attachment 86917

Hey Dave -

Those look pretty nice, what were you running in your racing days?

Attachments

• Dave vs. Richard.jpg
    Dave vs. Richard.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 48
Getting the last 5% of performance can cost as much as getting to 95% capability…

It’s worth it if you are Racer. Maybe not so much if you are just blasting around on the street….

But it’s fun!

RE: That WISECO article, last V-12 Ferrari engine I rebuilt got Wiseco pistons. They sent us 13 for some reason, so that's here as a conversation piece. One of the old ones (stamped #12) is currently on my desk in the garage as an ashtray. 😏

Ferrari wanted some astronomical amount and a wait of months. Wiseco was a few hundred and six weeks, IIRC.

SS5_1974cr.JPG