• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF a useful resource, appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please support the forum with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) annual upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Moss TR6 Supercharger

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've seen forged pistons blown to shreds by an improperly tuned (read: too lean) supercharged engine.

You can build your motor to be safer, like using lower compression and high quality forged pistons, but at the end of the day, all that don't mean jack unless the air/fuel is right. Even with all those parts, there's still a fine line between optimally tuned and your pistons being blown into orbit. Again, without fuel injection, carb installs need to run rich to compensate for safety.

That's probably why the Moss supercharger doesn't really make that much power.. they've got it running pig rich out of the box so some gooberhead that thinks he's all that won't cream his motor. Heck, I bet my n/a TR6 could take a "out of the box" Moss supercharged TR6.

Please don't get me wrong, supercharges are great things, but you have to know what you're doing if you want to make good power.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Shawn,
I checked the article last night. They said the prics were for parts and machine work, not assembly.
I didn't have time to dig out the Jan 2007 or Oct 2005 issues. I don't think the Jan 2007 cost was that high.

I believe their comparison is still akward. At least tangerines to oranges. $7600 in parts and machining does hint at a complete rebuild. However part of the cost represents general machining and parts required for any rebuild. Boring, Crank turning, rod and main bearings... If this was a complete rebuild I feel it is an exaggeration to imply the cost was only associated with the addition of the improvements listed.
likewise the engine in their TR6 already included some enhancements. Add the cost of these to the $4K for the supercharger, pulley and jets to get the actual cost.
I suspect the actual cost for the big cam and Triple carb is much closer to the actual cost to their super charged engine improvements.
If Moss and CM will provide a supercharger I will use my dead stock 22K mile 75 TR6 to provide real numbers and costs.
BOBH

swift6

Yoda
Totally agree with what your saying Bob.

The biggest misconception is about expecting the out of the box set up to instantly provide gobs of power without tuning. Especially since the engine was not 'stock' and the kit is designed for 'stock' engines. Fit triple webers on the same engine and see how they do 'out of the box'. Whenever you do any sort of even bolt on modifications, re-tuning is in order to see the benefits. Shown by the significant drop in 0-60 times after tuning the new set up. Heck, even fitting K&N's on a stock motor you will need to re-adjust the mixture.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
71tr said:
I had the impression that Classic Motorsports magazine is somehow affiliated with Moss Motors. I have no hard evidence but they always seem to run articles highlighting Moss kits.

I think Moss and VickyBrit (who is also referenced frequently) have gotten smart that donating parts is a cheap way of getting press coverage.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
All that said; the supercharger sure "looks" good when you pop the bonnet open at car shows. Maybe I can make a plastic replica and paint it silver!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
71tr said:
I have no hard evidence but they always seem to run articles highlighting Moss kits.
Well, it sure is tough to run articles highlighting the supercharger kits sold by TRF or BPNW /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

In case someone missed it, there are several videos on YouTube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLti6jFeKE

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tdskip said:
71tr said:
I had the impression that Classic Motorsports magazine is somehow affiliated with Moss Motors. I have no hard evidence but they always seem to run articles highlighting Moss kits.

I think Moss and VickyBrit (who is also referenced frequently) have gotten smart that donating parts is a cheap way of getting press coverage.

Actually they were strongly hooked up with Vicky Brit for the owners's son's Spitfire rebuild in the newest issue.

OP
D

DougF

Another gentleman who is running a turbo TR6 is Greg Lund from Tempe, AZ. He and other cars are listed at https://www.turbo-tr6.info with pictures etc.
It says he runs up to a 25 lb. boost.
Greg is a nice guy with a tremendous knowledge on making these cars go faster. We got to talk a bit when I bought my TR6 from him.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
So As I asked, Where's the SC for the TR8
Likely not enough of them around (and in the hands of those willing to pay for a blower kit) to make such a kit economically feasible. But there are several kits around to hang a blower on the TR8 motor in Rover guise ... perhaps you could adapt some of the parts from one of those. Certainly wouldn't fit "as is" since the TR engine bay is smaller; but the castings to mate to the blower & heads are the hard part & you could probably use those.
Eg, https://www.capa.com.au/kits_landrover.htm

swift6

Yoda
DNK said:
So As I asked, Where's the SC for the TR8

This MGB has a blown (supercharged) Rover V8 in it.
Not much room under that sloping bonnet, that far forward and above the "V". A set up like this probably wouldn't fit in a TR8 without massaging the bonnet a bit.

The LeMans TR8 though did have a twin turbo set up. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Something like this Paxton unit just might fit where the AC compressor and power steering pump call home. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif You know you want a non-power assist rack from that parts car TR7 anyway right?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shawn- Good work. I think the B's SC is the position I think would be best. I am planning on building a 4.0 motor. My motor guy has a block in his basement.Just something to think about.