• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Master Cyl Rebuild

ron wilson

Jedi Hopeful
Attempting to install master cyl rebuild kit with cyl still mounted on the car (74 tandum) amd cannot get the circlip off of the piston. Have drained all fluid and can squeeze the circlip ends with needle nose pliers but does not appear to be enough room between the piston and the case to squeeze the circlip to remove.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If I'm reading you right, you say your trying to rebuild a master cyl without taking it off the car? That's a first for me! You must be a magician. And a good one at that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif PJ

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
It's hard enough to do with the cylinder on a bench. Doing it in the car is a recipe for failure. In fact, attempting to rebuild a master cylinder itself is a recipe for failure in my opinion. Spring for a new one and save yourself a TON of headaches. TRUST ME! Just get a new one or a rebuilt one from Apple or one of the other rebuilders. While some have completed this task themselves with sucessful results, as they say, your results may vary. It's not for everyone.

Dave

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you don't have the proper tools, (which includes a hone for honing out the cylinder), and an exploded view of the master cylinder with a set of instructions just for that particular master cylinder, so you know what goes where, I'd buy a rebuilt or new one. These cylinders are not the same as whats on most American cars. Thier more complicated to rebuild than most and if not disassembled correctly, you can ruin the connecting link between the two pistons. Oh yes, some have more than one cir clip. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm gonna partially side with Dave: If you are going to rebuild it, bench it for sure. If nothing else, you'll be able to hone it out and do a MUCH better visual inspection for pits, scores, etc. Doing it in-situ is a contortionist's nightmare, not to mention the absolute mess it makes. For the three lines, two bolts and a clevis pin to remove it, it'll SAVE time and aggro... and chances are good you'll find the pits and need a new one anyway.

If (here's where I deviate) the bore cleans up well, there's no reason to replace it with a new one. Caveat: This is not a job for experimentation though. If there's any doubt (remember: you're playing with brakes here... safety... FIRST), bin it and replace it. MUCH cheaper than replacing the bonnet later! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Been there,done that.Then had to replace the cylinder any way.I'd get a new one or a rebuild.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
While I sometimes rebuild them - I've done a few - I don't recommend it for a first timer...especially when I sell new clutch masters for $79 plus shipping & brake masters for $168 plus shipping!

OP
R

ron wilson

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to you all for the informatino . Seems like the opinion was unanimous that I wAs nuts to do the rebuiled on the car so I took it out and can see that I would haeve never been able to do it in the car so a new one is on the way. Thanks again for the advice.