• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Impact Wrench and Air Hose Size

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ok I've finally come to the conclusion that 100' of 3/8" Blue Cheap Air Hose is the reason why my new Impact Wrench rated at 560 Lbs @ 90 PSI won't remove a lug nut. I've had issues with my old cheapo C-H Impact Wrench and found a new one under the tree 450 lbs rated one under the tree this Christmas. It's beautiful, shiny, chrome and I was so happy to receive as a gift. I dad the occasion to use it the other day, rolled out 75' of hose to get to Colleen's car to change a tire. Oh the expectation, new impact wrench, ought to twist those nuts off like nothing. Apply wrench to lug nut, pull trigger, hammer, hammer, hammer away and nothing. Crap, must be a bad tool. Return to Sears and trade up to the composite, heavy duty wrench just in case. This one is rated at 560 lbs @ 90 psi, twin hammer/anvil. No way is this one going to defy me. Roll out the hose again, pull the trigger, hammer, hammer, hammer away quite loudly and nothing.

Now I must say that the SOB that installed these tires I want to go back and strangle but the dumb as_ is a 40 mile round trip away. I ended up getting out my 24" breaker bar, placing on the lug and standing on the end and pulling up on the fender absolutely as hard as I could, to get the SOB to break loose. All 5 lugs were that way before I was able to get the wheel off. So much for the idiot reading the instructions saying torque to 85 lbs.

So back to my original question, Impact Wrench Manual says if going longer than 8', go to 1/2" hose for best performance. Who is running 1/2" air hose or are people successfully using a quality 3/8" hose in a 50' length.

Did find 50' x 1/2" quality hose @ Tractor Supply for $31.00. Unfortunately out of stock this week. Tell me what you are using, 1/2" or able to get by wit ha 3/8" quality hose. 30 Gallon Compressor is cranking up to what appears to be 120 lbs quite easily. My first step will be to get rid of the extra 50' of 3/8" hose. I'm tired of not being able to use my impact wrench for the purpose it was intended.

Jim, I use 3/8" ID, Goodyear hose out to 100 feet with no problems.
One other thing you may want to consider is the size of the discharge line on your compressor tank. If it's only 1/4" NPT, that's a significant restriction in the air flow. You could be running 5" hose, but if the air only gets to it through a 1/4" NPT fitting, performance won't be measurably increased.

Here are a couple of links should you want to do the maths.

https://www.kaeser.com/Online_Services/Toolbox/Pressure_drop/default.asp

https://www.about-air-compressors.com/estimatingpressuredrop.html

Jeff

Jeff,

That's an interesting thought that the NPT Fitting might be the culprit. Compressor goes to a air hose reel, from of course HF, that I mounted on the front of the compressor handle and then through 100' of 3/8" Blue Vinyl. Looks to be decent hose but I may narrow things way down before it ever gets into the hose. That alone might be the issue. Time to do an experiment. Thanks.

Jim & Jeff:

Off top of my head (with Jeff hitting nail on head with 1/4" outlet /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ) Tip Tools also has a ton of info on their site.

I buy all my big stuff from them!! Their SkatBlast material is the BEST stuff for booth works I have EVER used!!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
Ed

Got the wrench in undo setting?
Have used impact tools before, the quick release air hose connection fitting may be undersized, altho what comes in the box should be rated to do as the manufacturer implies, and some have a blow-by that you can adjust for different torque settings, and they all need a bit of oil lube on a regular basis

If its a new wrench If I were you I would drop about 4-5 drops of Marvel down the quick coupler.See if that helps if its dry you will have tons of blowby on the rotor vanes.
A 1/4" coupler should be plenty big. How my CFM is this thing?

I think I've found the problem. 100' of 3/8" hose 4 1/4" NPT and quick disconencts in between. Time for some replumbing.

A) Reduce hose length to 25'
B) Get rid of 3/8" hose & go to 1/2" Hose
C) Get rid of the 1/4" restrictors i.e. NPT Connectors

Use a minimum 3/8" ID air hose up to 25 ft, from air compressor to cabinet and remember to consider air pressure drop as illustrated in table below. Example: If using 25 feet of 1/4" ID air hose, at 60 lbs pressure, you will experience a pressure drop of 19 lbs, meaning you actually have 41 lbs working pressure.

Air Pressure Drop with 1/4" or 5/16" ID Air Hose
. Pressure Drop (Loss)
. Pressure Drop (Loss)

1/4" ID Air Hose
25 feet At 60 lbs pressure 19 lbs
50 feet 31 lbs
5/16" ID Air Hose
25 feet At 60 lbs pressure 6 lbs
50 feet 11 lbs

1/4" ID Air Hose
25 feet At 70 lbs pressure 22 lbs
50 feet 34 lbs