• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hard plastic transmission covers - anyone using?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I will be pulling the transmission and clutch for the last time (hopefully) to replace/eliminate the Gunst right after the Day of Triumph show. I noticed that TRF is having a sale and the transmission cover kits are reduced this weekend. Is anyone using this setup and how was the fit, quality, etc? Any feedback appreciated as always.

Thanks,

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Re: Hard plastic transmission covers - anyone usin

Paul, I am using the hard plastic trans cover. It was a very simple install and the quality was great. Beats the fiberglass one by a mile which I heard can be a pain to install cause its not flexable. I am very happy with the hard plastic cover.

4aNot4

I've got the hard plastic tranny cover...getting ready to install. Some notes:

The cover comes with just the hole for the gearshift boot. My original cover also has two metal plates that are screwed into the fiberboard and cover some large access holes. One covers the right rear where the speedometer cable attaches (my car has overdrive). The other is on the left side about midway up, and allows access to the overdrive solenoid. Using the old cover as a template, I was able to trace out the openings and then using a cutting attachment on my drill, I was able to cut out the openings. I then transferred these metal covers from the old fiberboard cover to the new plastic one. Strangely enough, my original fiberboard cover did not have the rubber plug at the very back that allows access to grease the front propshaft u-joint. I have the rubber plug, so I may use a hole saw attachment on the drill and put it on. I may also use the hole saw in the size that matches the floorboard rubber plugs and put a hole to access the overdrive switches. Also, a hole needs to be drilled and a grommet used to feed the overdrive wires through the top.

If you get this plastic cover, check to see if you can reuse all the hardware from your current fiberboard one, you'll save $25 or so. Also, refer to your existing fiberboard cover and make note of the thickness and fit of the rubber sealing gaskets. You can buy those rubber gaskets at the hardware store and also save a few bucks. Use weatherstrip adhesive to fix the rubber.

Final note is that I think that the plastic cover may resonate more than the original fiberboard one. So, I used 3M reflective insulation (has foil on one side) to line the inside of the box, with the metal foil facing out. I figure that heat will be reflected back and the insulation will deaden noise.

Good luck. My testimony is that you can make the plastic cover work well if you closely examine your existing cover and transfer any plugs or plates.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Have been toying w/ the idea of having the underside of mine sprayed with the bedliner material. Anyone have a thought on that idea?
Paul- There is another plastic style on the market and someone in this group has one. It is a two piece unit and the back third is removable to access the Trans end. I thought I had a pic but could not find it.
don

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Drill the holes from underneath the car.
I received my plastic cover - no instructions,etc.
I was told that they make the same cover for a TR4/6.

- Doug
I told them that I'd pay extra to have the holes predrilled.

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Paul:

I am actually on my second ABS cover from TRF. The first one I installed without the foam rubber weather stripping and ended up cracking the cover in several places above the hold down bolts. This happened after I installed it and had driven it for a while.

My advice therefore is be sure to glue the rubber weatherstrip down before installation and don't over tighten the bolts ... I just have mine snugged up so I can still move the plates underneath the bolt heads a little bit.

Good luck ... BTW, I seem to remember you are installing a Magic Carpet kit at the same time. I just finished installing mine about two weeks ago if you have any questions.

Matt

r66

I bought one from Moss and it worked/fit great. I previously bought a fiberglass one and elected not to use it because the fit and quality were so bad.

Ron

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

WOW! That's a lot of great feedback. Thanks for all of the tips. And any info regarding the carpet fitting will be appreciated as well.

I was just looking at the picture in the TRF catalog and it "appears" that the holes are drilled or formed in the cover. I may call to confirm that holes are as pictured.

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Paul:

The holes in the cover along the floorpans are drilled, and on my car (74) line up well. The holes along the front edge that screw to the firewall are not drilled. There are indentations in the cover where you are supposed to drill though. I tried to be smart and figure out exactly where to drill these holes by putting the cover in the car and marking where I thought the holes should be. I probably would have been more sucessful if I had just used the indentations for the hole locations, as I ended up having to redrill some of my "more precise" holes once I got it installed.

Installing the three pieces of tunnel carpet was a bit of a pain, but I will certainly let you know what I did when you get to that part.

Matt

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Thanks for the additional tips Matt. I will be having this done the first week of August, so feel free to let me know about the carpet fitting on the tunnel at any time.

Leebo

Country flag

Like 4aNot4, I installed foil faced insulation under the plastic cover and the noise/heat transfer was noticably reduced (though the noise reduction may also be due to the install of RGood's LSD and drive shaft). I fought with the holes on the TRF cover to line them up and overdrilled a couple.

The next time I take it off (hopefully never) I intend to install "studs" and place the tunnel over them. I will get bolts longer than what is necessary, screw them up from the bottom longer than necessary, and then draw them back down once each nut is on (could be tricky if the nuts spin). I'm not too worried about the bolts extending 1/2" to 1' below.

-Lee

Joe_Pinehill

Jedi Hopeful

Do you have to remove the gear shift handle to remove the tunnel?

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, but it might help make the job a little easier and it's not difficult to remove. First unscrew the shift knob and slip off the shift lever boot. Under that is a single horizontal nut and bolt that retains the shift lever assembly in place. Loosen it and remove (theres a large, but not terribly strong spring in there, and watch for an anti-rattle ball or plunger and smaller spring down in the "business end" of the shift lever). Seats have to be out, too, along with the dash support yoke and some pieces of carpet.

I too have the plastic cover (not sure if it was purchased from Moss, TRF or VB.... one of them, probably the same item is sold by all three) and highly recommend it. Much better than the original fiberboard one that was still in my car (which was ugly and just starting to give up, agian, but still functional thanks to being heavily reinforced years ago by soaking it in fiberglass resin and applying one or two layers of glass cloth in key places, inside and out).

On the new cover I got, mounting holes along the flanges weren't drilled, just "dimpled" for approx. location. Makes sense to me that each cover needs to be drilled while being fitted, to accomodate slight variances in these old cars and/or any small change that, say, replacement floors might have made.

I also modified the new cover by adding access plates for OD controls and speedo cable. An early TR2/3 owner might want to add a g'box dipstick access hole, too. Smaller holes needed to be added for OD wiring harness. The larger access hole to lube the front u-joint was already cut in the cover I got. (Did later cars not have greasable u-joints, so perhaps Triumph did away with this access hole in the cover? I dunno, but a later car owner would need to order a rubber plug for it, assuming all the plastic covers have this hole pre-cut.)

The two piece gearbox cover comes from Racetorations in England, if I recall correctly. I don't have one, but have seen it and a minor gripe I have is that it's split in such a way that the dash support yoke still needs to be removed in order to lift off the rear half (the most likely half to remove for partial access to gearbox, IMHO). I would think it could be split instead rearward of the dash support yoke, to give even simpler use.

It would be pretty easy to modify one of the one-piece covers into a two-piece. Maybe a flange of wide flat aluminum could be bent to fit, riveted to one side and fastened with spire nuts and bolts on the other side, or similar. I haven't done this, altho I've thought about it. I'd check for clearance issues before getting out the saw and starting to cut. Also, some sort of sealing would be needed in the joint, to keep heat and fumes from entering the cockpit.

Some sort of reflective heat and noise insulation would be a good idea on any of these covers. I dunno if truck bed liner would accomplish the job... might be good for noise, but not have any heat insulating properties. However, there are now spray-on versions of both heat and noise insulators available. In the right order, they can even be used together. Check with local high-end auto body shops, last I looked the stuff was very pricey in gallons and larger quanjtities, and you don't need a whole lot for this job.

TRF's gearbox cover fastening and sealing kit is also very good. Everything in it is an exact repro of the originals that were on my car and the kit was very complete. I haven't compared with any other vendors' kits, if they offer them.

I can't say anything about fitting carpet over the new cover. There's none in my car at present. But it should be fine since the g'box cover so closely mimics the original.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

4aNot4

Joe,

If you have a TR4, then you do not have to remove the gearshift lever. If you have a 4A or later, then the handbrake lever gets in the way. In my case, I removed the handbrake lever and did not have to remove the gearshift lever. But my carpet (which I am replacing) has been missing its vinyl gaiter, so unbolting the handbrake is easy.

Here's another tip. First off, my cover is from Moss. The floorboard bolt holes are not drilled, but there are "dimples" where you should drill. I fitted the new plastic cover on top of my old fiberboard one, and could then see that the dimples line up with the existing holes. There are no dimples, though, on the front arc that bolts to the firewall. Because my garage is on a hill, there is a shed underneath, and trap door to access the underside of the car from the shed below. At the same time that I was putting this cover on, I was doing some clutch work, so the tranny was out. I then fitted the new plastic cover with the tranny out, and bolted it down in a few spots. I then went down to the shed and dropped the trap door. I then had access to the underside of the firewall flange to which the cover bolts. I then drilled through the bolt holes and through the new cover, getting perfect alignment.

All in all, it is a fair amount of work to get everything just right...

4aNot4

Alan,

The Moss catalog lists that rubber plug for accessing the fron propshaft u-joint as "as fitted." My original 4A cover did not have it, neither does my plastic cover. A hole saw attachment on a drill can be used to make the hole, and as you point out, all the vendors sell the proper plug.

Tomster

Jedi Knight

Care to ship your garage up to Canada /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF for a while .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

4aNot4

Tomster,

Having that trap door access is indeed a great thing! It makes a lot of jobs very much easier. But it is kind of like having a swimming pool...everyone wants to use it...

swift6

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, but it might help make the job a little easier and it's not difficult to remove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always found that putting the tranmission into reverse helped with removing the cover.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

I put a Victoria British sourced plastic cover in my Spitfire and glued heat reflective material on the underside. It has made a nice difference in both noise and heat. Fit and quality was just OK, not great.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I painted two or 3 coats of polymer resin on the top of the pasteboard tunnel cover. Did the same on the bottom side and added a sheet of fiber glass. It is very strong and water proof now.