• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

CV Joints

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Would appreciate any input regarding the CV joints on the driveshaft of my TR-7. Should a local driveline outfit be able to replace one with a conventional U joint? The front one on mine is worn and the seal has been gone for some time so it's full of dirt grease mix that resembles valve grinding compound. It seems that the CV joints could be rebuilt with oversize balls like a "Chicksan" but it appears that disassembly would require special tools and equipment. I may end up forcing grease into this one and trying to get by for a while but if I could get a good repair done for a C note or so in the next week I would opt for that till I can get a complete new drive (prop) shaft.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Dale,
the one thing you can't do is just replace the C\V joint with a conventional spider joint as the shaft needs to telescope to allow for rear axle movement. If the shaft were solid (lengthwise), as the axle moves up and down the shaft would push and pull on the tail of the gearbox and the box and engine would be moving backwards and forwards.
Unfortunately, according to my manual, the C\V joint is not serviceable.
cryin.gif

Alec

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thank you for your considerate post. Both CV joints on this shaft have provision for lateral movement but I would certainly have a slip joint incorporated into the conventional joint if installed. In reviewing my catalogues from Rimmer Bros. and Victoria British I find that the stock original driveshaft is available for what seems to be a reasonable price. I'm in a cash bind right now but I will probably replace the shaft when I can and try to get a few more miles out of this one even if I'm unable to repair it.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
If its too pricy, I know of a 40k 79 in a salvage yard near here, last I saw it the driveshaft was there......just a thought
Mark

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the tip. Will know Friday if this one can be repaired to last awhile. The 40k one would be my next choice assuming it could be had for say $75 plus shipping. BTW how do we exchange info directly on this site if it comes to that?

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
The info is : robinson sal. 785 364 2161, 600 Illinois st Holton Ks. I did a drive by, but for some reason nobody was working today.....small town kinda place, doubt if it will cost as much as 50$$ plus freight.(as long as they still have it)
Good luck, Mark

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the tip Mark I'm going to need a new driveshaft as I was unable to get anything done with this one. The local yard did say they could get me a good used one for between $130.00 and $180.00 which seems high to me so if I'm able to pursue your tip sucessfully I'll be in clover. Thanks again Dale

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Spoke to Dan at Robinson Salvage and I think we're going to get together on the driveshaft for a C note including shipping. He also has an original radio antennae which I need also. Will let you know how it works out but it's looking good so far. Thanks again

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I bought the engine/trans several years ago for my 7.It was a real 40k car, the shame of it was it was wrecked so badly that there was little of the body to save. It looked like the kid had watched the Dukes of Hazard once too often, with the result being a tr7 with the front bumper 4feet in the air with the rockerpanels touching the ground. I was surprised the tranny wasnt cracked, but it suffered no damage and is still in use in my brother-inlaws tr8.
Good luck.
Mark

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the post. I had neglected to ask some pertinant questions of Dan when I ordered the shaft from him so am glad to know that the car is a 5 speed late model etc. Sounds like its too crunched to be rebuildable even with the front end off my parts car which was rear ended. Glad that the engine and trans are in good use. Just hope I don't soon need a transmission myself. Do you know what parts might still be available off this one? Like door lamps, tailights, side markers.I don't need these myself right now but they might be worth stocking up on. Was the engine fuel injected? I guess it would only have been if it were a California car originally. I know I could ask the yard about all this but they didn't seem to recall as much about it as you do.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
This car was sad with a capitol S. I got most of the rare goodies several years ago I think the deck lid was still good, but not real rare. There may be some switches ect but the dash was pretty broken up. I still have a few 7 bits about but its just odds and ends, but no tail lamps. As I remember the doors are damaged too, it was quite a crash.
Mark

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Got the 40K shaft installed this PM. Was initially unimpressed as the newer by 2/3s shaft didn't appear or feel any different than my old one with 140K on it and as it had been in the junk yard for so long it looked worse for wear and the rubber seals were in no better shape than mine. It did clean up nicely and a coat of paint did make it more aesthetically pleasing. It went in easy and after a short test drive I think it is quieter. Maybe some of my concern for the transmission is unwarranted and was just the driveshaft after all. At any rate it was a blast to drive it again. I wouldn't have thought I would miss it so much after just 3 weeks. I think we're ready for the trip to Gallup next weekend sure are looking forward to it. Thanks to all for the help and encouragement. Dale

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Glad it worked out well. Good luck on the trip mountains = heat, so watch the needle.
You allways miss you Tr when shes down, my 4 got hit last fall and I was in serious withdrawll
before the repairs got done.
Mark