• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Changing from 2 batteries to 1 battery - Why?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Is the process of switching from two batteries to one battery a difficult task?
Why switch from two to one?
Are there advantages/disdvantages.

Lighter weight, less cost, easier maintenance, more reliable, better quality battery (more cranking power and longer battery life).

Other than than, it's a wash. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Steve_S said:
Lighter weight, less cost, easier maintenance, more reliable, better quality battery (more cranking power and longer battery life).

And let's add the option of using the second battery box as a hidden storage compartment!

rick_ingram said:
Steve_S said:

And let's add the option of using the second battery box as a hidden storage compartment!

...unless battery acid and rust have "customized" it!

Mine's been "customized" like that, Mickey! Now has a single in the left hole. right side is 'fangs' with no bottom. I used the right one to mount a fuel pump into.

While the topic is up, any reason to buy the battery buckets as opposed to finding a plastic trash can that's the right size? Seems like 25-30 bucks for a plastic basket is crazy. Are these impervious to battery acid?

I like the fuel pump idea. The current location is tough to get to,

19_again said:
While the topic is up, any reason to buy the battery buckets as opposed to finding a plastic trash can that's the right size? Seems like 25-30 bucks for a plastic basket is crazy. Are these impervious to battery acid?

I went to wallymart with my tape measure found the housewares section and bought a plastic storage bin (the heavier weight, not the food storage type).

I think I paid all of $2 for it. It needed a bit of persuasion to get it in there, but it's a nice fit. Failing that, you could cut one apart and just poprivet the pieces to the frame. I keep some oil and brake fluid in it, and some hoses/parts that I'm sure I'll never need. Do a search for photos...

I've switched to a single 12V AGM-type and could not be happier.

I've got to do the wallymart thingy. My GT came with the plastic bin but seeing them recently in MOSS makes me go hmm.
Is switching to 1 battery as easy as disconecting and removing a cable? I've not had a car yet with two and the Roadster I just got, I still need to get into to look at. The GT I came with had the conversion already.

vping said:
I've got to do the wallymart thingy. My GT came with the plastic bin but seeing them recently in MOSS makes me go hmm.
Is switching to 1 battery as easy as disconecting and removing a cable? I've not had a car yet with two and the Roadster I just got, I still need to get into to look at. The GT I came with had the conversion already.

Yes, assuming you use the pass side box. Remove the series cable between the battery boxes; it is not needed. Add a ground cable/-ve lug to the pass side box. Connect battery to the existing +ve lug. Done.

I replaced my main lug cable for good measure; it was corroded pretty badly. About $25 from British Wiring and it fit perfectly. A couple hours to install though.

Also added a disconnect switch.

Not sure that twin 6 volt batteries don't have more cranking power than a single 12, but in any case, you can buy a 12 volt battery more than up to the task and it will fit in one side nicely.

I don't use the extra space on my coupe, use it for a large fuel pump on the race car, potential but so far unused storage on the MGC and a place for a fuel swirl tank/accumulator on the injected Jamaican.

Another reason to change is that when you need to buy a battery, you can go most anywhere and pick up a 26 series battery. Try doing that with the old twin batteries.

I put the boxes in my B' several years ago, and they work great. I like the fact that they use the stock fasteners to hold them in. I did shim the bottom a bit to take some of the weight off the box. I just cut and fit a piece of an old plastic cutting board to the remnants of the original battery box.

I don't remember the battery I put in the GT from autozone. I'm going to have to check tomorrow and see what size it is.

As Ron noted, 26 series.

IIRC, 26R is what we stuffed into Herself's car.

Several years ago, I converted to a single battery. I used the plastic boxes from Moss also. I went one step further and welded a piano hinge to the cover. I removed the
hold down fasteners and installed a keyed latch from a desk drawer. Now I have a lockable storage compartment that is clean and pretty secure since not too many people would know where to look. Another good reason to use the boxes or some sort of a container is that it keeps the battery nice and clean and prevents further corrosion to the frame.

By the way I also wired in an on board trickle charger to both my MGB and my Sprite. Since I don't drive them daily, I just plug them in occasionally for a few days. My last MGB battery lasted 8 years. The one I have now is 4 years old and still going strong. It really makes a difference if your car sits idle for any long period of time.

sqbsprite said:
Several years ago, I converted to a single battery. I used the plastic boxes from Moss also. I went one step further and welded a piano hinge to the cover. I removed the hold down fasteners and installed a keyed latch from a desk drawer. Now I have a lockable storage compartment that is clean and pretty secure since not too many people would know where to look.

Now THERE'S a perfect "Why didn't I think of that?" thing.

Thanks for the great idea!

Mickey

Scott_Hower said:
19_again said:

I went to wallymart with my tape measure found the housewares section and bought a plastic storage bin (the heavier weight, not the food storage type).

I think I paid all of $2 for it. It needed a bit of persuasion to get it in there, but it's a nice fit. Failing that, you could cut one apart and just poprivet the pieces to the frame. I keep some oil and brake fluid in it, and some hoses/parts that I'm sure I'll never need. Do a search for photos...

I've switched to a single 12V AGM-type and could not be happier.

You would not happen to ahve a pic of this or a part number would ya? I'm checking online Consolidated Plastics, & MSC to see what they have on their website.

That looks Perfect.