• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carpet and vinyl, Bugeye

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Good morning,
Where would be a good source for good carpet and vinyl for a bugeye? I ordered samples from Moss and they said it was the same as the MGB, but I seem to remember more of a pebble grain in the bugeye dash than I've seen on the MGB seats.
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks, I looked at their website and I would need a carpet set, interior trim set, ribbed rubber door inserts, and door panels. They don't specify if the interior trim kit comes with a piece for the dash and extra vinyl. Anyone out there order from them and is the kit complete?
Thanks, Rut

RickB

Yoda
Get a shipping quote before you order.
My last quote for shipping from them (not very much stuff) was in the hundreds.
Not counting the materials, the shipping was hundreds.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
RickB,
Wow, hadn't thought of that. Moss and AHS are within $10 of each other and I would like to have a good quality set, but can't pay an arm and leg to get it. I would like to hear from anyone on the subject.
Thanks, Rut

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
RickB said:
Get a shipping quote before you order.
My last quote for shipping from them (not very much stuff) was in the hundreds.
Not counting the materials, the shipping was hundreds.

Rick, maybe it's cause you're on the left coast. (?) My shipping experiences with AH Spares are different from yours. To me they use DHL Air. Stuff arrives in 2 days. (Moss takes 3-5 with UPS ground). I've gotten a couple of fairly large boxes that were around $60 each. Yes thats more than Moss would have charged for UPS ground service but I doubt it's any more than UPS guaranteed 2nd day. Overall (parts/exchange rate/shipping) The stuff was substantially less pricey than Moss. And AH Spares seems to have the sense to send small things in small packages the least expensive way possible. Moss's habit of small things in big boxes with two options; the expensive way or the more expensive way, instead of envelope in mail, bothers me. I don't see AH Spares shipping as cost prohibitive, especially over the long haul. Thats my view.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been pleased with both A/H Spares and Moss for interior items. The rug set from Moss required a bit of cutting for the wheel arches. Moss supplied the extra material for the dash. I also purchased extra vinyl and carpet from Moss.
I wait until I put together a large order, then the shipping is not so significant.
cheers,
Scott in CA

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
AHSpares is indeed quality stuff. I've ordered a good bit from them. It has all been top notch goods. IMHO.
Their leather seat covers are awesome. The chrome on bumpers and grills are also first rate.
I'll be ordering some carpet from them in the near future.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
When you through a lot of stuff in one big box you usually get more for your money but with the new fuel surcharges this has change the cost to ship DHL or TNT ect. I just got a box that was 48”x 31” x 24” last month and it was $300 to South Carolina by TNT which they said was the cheapest by $80.00. “OH” Then you have to pay for the currency exchange rate fees too. On top of that don’t forget our good friend the US Customs wants its pint of blood too on orders above $450.00 so all this will add up before you realize it!! Great Stuff Though!!

RickB

Yoda
Previous orders (before the summer of 2011) from AH Spares to me were quite reasonable.
After summer of 2011 their shipping prices (to me) became too high to bother.
If you haven't checked lately then don't assume what you paid before is what it will cost you now.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks all for the information so far. I have not had a chance to check freight charges or customs, but an apples to apples comparison for the 'same' products (interior sans seat covers) is this.
Moss wants $595.85 for the trunk kit, pn 242-500, carpet set, pn 242-530 and panel kit, pn 645-500.
AH Spares wants $587.89 for the interior trim set xtrp101, door pockets xtrp140, carpet set xcab101, trunk side panels xcab130, and trunk lining kit xcab120. They also offer the ribbed rubber door liners for an additional 17.50.
You can't really compare the same items since they are grouped differently, but the cost is close for the entire set.
Thanks, Rut

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Got my panel kit, vinyl for the dash and door pockets, seat covers, hardura for the boot and side panels for the boot from AHSpares. The $$/GBP ratio then was about 1.50. Very happy will all.

Got my carpet from Stock Interiors. https://www.stockinteriors.com/flatcarpet.asp?Itemid=6614&MakeId=48&ModelId=494 I bought it by the yard but they have carpet sets. Extremely happy with the quality, price and color match to my Cherry Red interior.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I also installed the stock interiors carpet set (not by the yard) and was very happy.

Bought matching material (pleather) for the panels and recovered myself -- easy because I had to also rebuild my cardboard / masonite panels for they were to far gone to put back on. Not hard; just time consuming.

If I remember right - ~ $250 ish for carpet / glue / pleather / masonite.

The one thing I would re-do if I could -- ADD SOUND DEADENING ! It will help deflect some of the asphalt heat. At the time, I was what good would sound deadening do in a convertible? Was i wrong.

George

RickB

Yoda
When I ordered my seat stuff from AH Spares the Pound was at $1.38 and shipping only cost about $70. I got new foams for both seats, new upholstery and all the associated bits.

Now they want about $200 just to ship a Bugeye grill.