• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

B/E Saved

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well,Paul came by & picked up th Bugeye that was for sale here in Eureka.I hope it works out well for him.
He also picked up a Triumph 1800 engine/trans.Got it out of my truck.Thanks again,Paul!

- Doug

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I’ve made it home!
It began on Thursday with a busy day at work. I got the trailer ready and had it set up at my office for pickup in the am. Since I was going to be gone for all of Friday I agreed to cover Thursday night at the veterinary practice. 6:30 pm the phone rang with a cow needing a C-Section. Got home at 8:30pm not bad with the travel time. Got up at 4:30 am and hit the road to Eureka. I made good time until I got deep into the redwoods on Hwy 101 and got a large screw in the driver’s side rear tire of my truck. The tire went flat instantly and I pulled over in an area that offered a “little” protection from traffic. Changed the tire and got into Eureka at 11:00 am. Had a new tire put on the truck and the spare went back under. Then off to put the Bugeye https://new.photos.yahoo.com/paulbos@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762404959861 on the trailer. Meet Doug at his place at 2:30 and loaded my dads' TR1800 motor onto the back of the trailer. Visited with Doug and viewed his projects and then hit the road. No problems on the return trip and was safe at home buy 10:30pm (630 miles) after dropping off the trailer. No time yet to get it off the trailer and make a further inspection. As of 7:30 am I was off helping cover in the practice with another C-Section and looking at some sick animals. I’ll try to unload the trailer Sunday pm. That TR block with transmission must weight 500 pounds.

I think she is a very early 1959 #9123 (reg as a 1960) looking at the paint it looks like it was originally blue (would it be speedwell blue or iris blue?).

Where should I start? No room yet in the garage. I would like to arrest the rust and then begin a rotisserie restoration.

More later.

Paul

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Congrats Paul! Looks like you have a good project there! Good for you for saving another!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Congrats - BIG project though. I suspect the job will need to go something like this

1. complete dismantle (need organization & storage system

2. body - then you'll have something to put the pieces back on

3. [censored] a system - likely engine first for satisfaction reasons

4, get to it

enjoy!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's a great project! Invest in clear plastic storage tubs, zip lock bags, sharpie pens, and tags with wire to store and label. Makes life a little bit easier if you have a large amounts of time between when you pull parts and when you reassemble.

Ever notice how some parts just stay on a car forever? Struck me funny that the pic of the A pillar shows the rubber bump stop for the bonnet still in place.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Hi, Doug, congrats on the Bugeye!

I've taken on a similar project with a Mk II ('62) Sprite and have been documenting the effort on my web site (www.raysmg.com; click on "The Spridget Project" button). My car is going to be basically new from the beltline down; LOTS of new replacement and patch panels. Hap is building the engine but I'm doing the rest in-house.I have details on the rotisserie I built as well.

I look forward to watching your progress; do keep us posted.

Ray

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
She actually looks prettty solid - as far as the rust in the lower portion of the 'A' post is concerned, I've got new repair panels for that in stock!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Pay close attention to the lower hinge behind that bubbled "A" pillar skin. I'd bet Tony has those, too.
I like all the "Tijuana Tuck & Roll" upholstery! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have your work cut out for you. Now that I see the rest of the pics you just may have looker in a couple of years.

eBay is your friend as is Tony. Gona need lots of parts.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can also get the front edge of that bonnet but it ain't cheap...what are his other options, Jack?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A used bonnet will I think be the way to go. About 600 bucks or less shopping around a bit with no rush.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've posted more pictures. I've made some discoveries also.

1. The VIN on the title is AN509123 however this number is found on the left A post. The real VIN found in the engine compartment is AN5L 9477. Still makes it an early '59 and the original color should be Iris Blue.

2. Found very little rust that really worries me (LOL). Needs new A posts or a least patches on both sides.

3. Found a fiberglass patch on the fuel tank.

4. Will need new badges and I'm was surprised how thin the grill is.

5. A new front valence will be in order as I thick a patch would be diffult to form. I had patches made for my TR and they cost an arm and a leg as they were made by hand on an english wheel. But, where are you going to find a patch for a '49 TR.

6. Missing 2 hubcaps, heater box, badges and ignition switch. I've got all the cardboard panels with the car, but the po wanted to keep the seats so I'll need those.

If I can get time this week. I'll do a complete inventory with the Moss catalog and set a budget. It should be fun. I'll have to get the blast cabinet ready. First, I'll get organized.

Paul

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Easy parts inventory so far, all is available from you know who.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think I may have an old set of seat frames that could be repaired as a last resort....

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Nice project, looks like fun, keep snapping those pitures for us.

Iris Blue looks great on a BE /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Pat

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
There is a guy on "Spritespot" right now who is selling a bugeye (basically it is lots of parts, sort-of in formation) for cheap ($800.00 I think that I remember???) up in Minnesota but the hood looks to be in pretty good shape.

Bill

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Before you order patch panels for the A posts you might want to do a little probing. If the lower end of the visible part of the A post (what the patch would cover) is rusted, there is a pretty good chance that the lower tapping plate (what the door hinge attaches to) is as well. If so you will either need a repair piece there or a new A post. To be sure, I'd remove the door(s) and see what is what on that lower hinge.

While you're at it check closely the cross member (the square tube just in front of the seat). If floor pans have been or need to be replaced and/or the sills, there's a pretty good chance that the cross member might need either patching or replacing.

I've just gone through all that on my Mk II Sprite and found what you don't want to find; pics on my web site.

Ray