• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

93 miles on a tank

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Just how big is a tank on a Mk1 ?
The BE ran out of gas today in the driveway.
Trip odometer shows 93 miles.
Granted that included a track day and my
usual exuberant right foot...but...
I'm just saying my 3.8 Toyota straight six gets
better mileage hauling and it weighs over two tons.
Man, I love driving the Sprite.
:devilgrin:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Granted that included a track day[/QUOTE]

Ummm just a guess but maybe you had it WOT for a while???

about 6.5 gallons?.... or maybe 7.5... someone knows, but that's less than 15 mpg and something's wrong with your car if that's all you're getting per tank.

When I hotfoot my 1275 I get around 22 MPG and you are cranking probably twice the HP that I am so I would bet that your 15 MPG is not impossible.
BillM

Yeah, with my set of HIF4's when I run it WOT up a hill for a while I can visibly see the gas gauge drop.

Replacement fuel tank, as on the one here, would not hold a full fuel load. Filler neck stuck down into the tank 1.5 inches.

David, when we get those twin HS4s properly jetted, you should see your MPG numbers go way up, on my MGB when I first got my car, Tony had the carbs way too rich, I went back to a leaner needle, played with fuel mixture, and ended up getting about 8 more MPG. Right now those carbs on your car are so rich, I surprised you have not fouled a plug.

Note to the forum, later in the spring if everything works out, the plan is for David and I to both take our cars to the chassis dyno, and the main reason to do this will be for nailing the fuel mixture thru air/fuel ratio numbers, we're planning on making it into car club tech session, and for sure will post pictures here and let you guys know how the day at the dyno works out. It should be fun and informative.

Hap Waldrop said:
David, when we get those twin HS4s properly jetted, you should see your MPG numbers go way up, on my MGB when I first got my car, Tony had the carbs way too rich, I went back to a leaner needle, played with fuel mixture, and ended up getting about 8 more MPG. Right now those carbs on your car are so rich, I surprised you have not fouled a plug.

Note to the forum, later in the spring if everything works out, the plan is for David and I to both take our cars to the chassis dyno, and the main reason to do this will be for nailing the fuel mixture thru air/fuel ratio numbers, we're planning on making it into car club tech session, and for sure will post pictures here and let you guys know how the day at the dyno works out. It should be fun and informative.

I'm really looking forward to the dyno tune at the hands of a SU Master.
:bow:

The thing got over 30 mpg with the single HIF6 but
it is a LOT faster with the HS4s.
BTW I found one of the adjuster on a carb was stuck.
Got it free and the car runs much better....rich..but
better.
Paint job this coming weekend. I decide to go without the stripes.

I wish I could get the Tunebug to your tuning session. I could really use the help!

I'm getting somewhere in the mid 20s for mileage right now, but certainly am running rich.

I seem to get right at 30, which is low. However, you know how much I don't drive so lots of cold to warm up with choke, etc etc.

Oh, tank is 7.2 US gal on a BE.

drooartz said:
I wish I could get the Tunebug to your tuning session. I could really use the help!

I'm getting somewhere in the mid 20s for mileage right now, but certainly am running rich.

Drew, I can't remember , but I used a #3 needle in your carbs, you may want to try a leaner needle, like a #2 or even the stock AN needle and give that try.

Come on Drew, you haven't run that car in months, how could it be rich. lol

Hap Waldrop said:
Drew, I can't remember , but I used a #3 needle in your carbs, you may want to try a leaner needle, like a #2 or even the stock AN needle and give that try.
I've got to get my exhaust/intake leak sorted out before I can really dig into the tuning issues. In another month or two it'll be warm enough again to start working -- too dern cold (and too much road salt) to even think about it right now. Brrr!

Hey David,

"Paint Job this Weekend"!! Man, I`d bet this weekend can`t come fast enough.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I feel your doing the right thing by not re-stripping her. Then take off the Front Bumpers & You`ll be "Good to Go"!

Less weight = More MPG!!

Regards,

Russ

toysrrus said:
Hey David,

"Paint Job this Weekend"!! Man, I`d bet this weekend can`t come fast enough.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I feel your doing the right thing by not re-stripping her. Then take off the Front Bumpers & You`ll be "Good to Go"!

Less weight = More MPG!!

Regards,

Russ

Oh no....all that glitter shall remain. If I had put the stripes back on I'd have gone bumperless.
No stripes and all the polish 'n chrome is the current plan.
At least for a bit.
Now by next November it may have the stripes and lose a pound or two.
:driving:
It's a work in progress.
ps: paint this weekend is a "goal"...stars need to align.