• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 6cyl swap to tr4

Frank,

You should be able to find everything you need in a factory maunal - Triumph put the 6cyl in and called it the TR250/TR5

Frank:

I see you have both a TR6 & Tr4? That should help, as you can take some side by side measurements to compare. Just finished reading the HIstory of Triumph Sportscars & there was a chapter on the transition from TR4 to TR5 (250), seem to remember that the differences were minimal, I even think the 6 engine weighed less than the 4! I would look into things like part #'s for motor mounts, front spring, exhaust, etc on anyone of our venders sites. That will give you a starting point for what may be different.

Maybe you could drop an e-mail or call someone at the the Roadster factory?

I run a TR 250, so let me know if I can be of some assistance.

Keep us posted.

As I recall, there are some adjustments that need to be made. The carburetor airbox will not fit if you just drop the engine in -- it will hit the bonnett.

There are a couple of other things, but I don't quite remember exactly what they were. Over the years, I've heard of people trying to do this, and everyone seems to find out that there are subtle differences between the TR4 and TR250.

I will be diving into this project in the coming weeks. The current engine(4cyl) is still pritty good, but i also have a gt6 mottor that may be well suited. I have started to take measuments and I'm sure there will be many minor problems.
The 6cly sticks out futher.
I don't exspect much inprovement in power, but I do like the sound and smoothness of the two extra
cyl. I'm very suprised that there is no website info links. Then again there maybe a good reason why there is not any.

thanks for the replys
Frank

Frank, my thought is that this swap is a little pointless from a performance standpoint. Why not spruce up the old 4 banger, or find a 3.5 rover???
MD(mad dog)

YEP, pointless indeed, not to mention dropped value. Get the mungo oversized pistons,cam etc and increase the value and embarress some TR6 owners for fun. The sound alone is worth it.

Wile it's not a forgone conclusion that I will be making this engine swap, I believe the good out weights the bad. Everyone who did it would agree it was for the better, (I think). Certainly the Factory thought it best. A 150+ h.p. 4 cyl engine would not, in my opinion, be a pleasent, relaxing, touring drive. While I know these cars can be whipped about, todays trafic and laws negate a lot of that fun in the sun. (Somthing I use to do in the 1980's with my '57 356a super.) When I drive ether my 69tr6 or my 65tr4 I find I like looking at the artistic lines, the crome and appointments of the tr4 and wnen I drive my tr6 I like it's sound and SMOOTH power . It's a lot like when chocolate met peanut butter.

(then of course there's chocolate and almounds)
Frank