• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WW II German tank recovered from lake

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Are tanks like "Other cars"?....sorta, I guess...

Anway, a WW II German tank was recovered from a lake in Estonia after over 60 years.
The tank was actually a Russian tank that was captured and repainted with German markings.

More info and great pictures:
https://dalesdesigns.net/tank.htm

Bugeye58

Yoda
I saw this a couple of months ago, and found it a fascinating story.
As far as "Other Cars", I think Banjos' Mk. VIII Jag qualifies as a tank, doesn't it? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
About six months ago saw a TV show on the restoration of a WW11 tank - amazing. Not exactly what I might call a budget restoration but I love that kind of stuff.

Bugeye58

Yoda
JP, the show is "Tank Overhaul", and I think it's on Tuesday nights. History Channel, I believe.
This week it was a Sherman (M4), last week was a German Panther. (Panzerkampfwagen V)
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If someone had told me when I was 25 that there would soon be so many TV channels that one would run a show about old WWII tank repair, I'd have considered it a riotously funny joke. Now I watch it. gad.

bugimike

Yoda
DrEntropy said:
If someone had told me when I was 25 that there would soon be so many TV channels that one would run a show about old WWII tank repair, I'd have considered it a riotously funny joke. Now I watch it. gad.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Bugeye58 said:
As far as "Other Cars", I think Banjos' Mk. VIII Jag qualifies as a tank, doesn't it? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff
HA! HA! I just wish the Jag had been entombed in pete. Maybe then IT woulden't have any rust either.
Doc regularly posts about his MB. That's even closer to a Tank (especially a German one) than the Jag, so You're fine.
Neat story.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JamesWilson said:
I'm jealous....

From your story: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with no rust...

after 50+ years at the bottom of a lake.

[/QUOTE]

wasn't a british tank /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wonder if we could store (preserve) our
cars in the same place.
Could be some money to be made here.

- Doug

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Another famous tank retrieval was done about 20 years ago at the exit from what, on D-day, 6th June 1944, was designated Sword Beach, Hermanville-sur-Mer in Normandy. A Churchill AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers) which was a special purpose demolition and obstacle-crossing tank from the British 79th Armoured Division (Hobart's Funnies), got itself completely bogged down in a German anti-tank ditch. The British army then proceeded to move its entire armoured force off the beach over the back of this tank, conveniently bridging the ditch. Over the weeks immediately following, it became completely covered with earth, sand and general debris, and was forgotten. After the war the French laid a thick concrete slab over it and it became part of the road.

In the early 1980s one of the original crew remembered it and showed some enthusiasts where it was. With the help of an enormous crane, many volunteers, and much pulling and shoving, the 45-ton relic was finally persuaded out of its 40-year resting place. It was in remarkably good condition with the live ammunition still in the racks, and the crew's rations still waiting to be eaten. It was restored with donated money, much of it from local French people, and stands nearby to this day as a memorial to those who fought their way across that beach on that famous day.

You can see a picture of the actual tank in a Dutch website: https://www.strijdbewijs.nl/tanks/churchill/spec.htm over the caption "Een AVRE met de Petard mortier werper nabij Hermanville"

My dad served in 79th Armoured Division and landed on that same beach a few days later.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
I wonder if we could store (preserve) our
cars in the same place.
Could be some money to be made here.

- Doug

Marketing that idea might present some issues:

customer: I've got a award winning XJ120 I'd like to store for a decade or so.
lake storage owner: ah I've got the perfect lake to toss it into!
customer: uhhh ... what