• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Type A OD Mounting Question

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Afternoon All:

I'm getting ready to mate the OD to the tranny and I see that the two center studs are about 1.25" longer than the other studs. How come? I don't see anything in the catalogs or manuals that would indicate additional items to be mounted there or is there?

Anyhow your thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Tinkerman

Tried to attach a picture but the system wouldn't let me.

The longer center studs are used to compress the springs. Once the OD is installed, the excess length just hangs out in space.

Be VERY careful here, as it's easy to distort the adapter plate if things hang up for any reason. If the nuts seem to be getting harder to turn, stop and deal with the problem instead of continuing to tighten them.

Also, IIRC, you have to stop before the plate is fully home against the OD housing, to start the nuts onto the other studs. There isn't room once it's all the way home.

Here's Nelson's shot of the other nuts being installed, showing one of the long studs protruding.

Also, I remember there is some business of pulling the pump plunger back with a piece of wire or something like that; otherwise you won't be able to put it together. (Hopefully you've got that covered!)

"The longer center studs are used to compress the springs. Once the OD is installed, the excess length just hangs out in space"

Thanks Randall, suspected as much. The tranny I am using and the OD as well came from the PO and I did not un-mate them (so to speak) In fact the longer studs were nowhere in sight so they came from TRF. The Nelson Reidel articles have been my main source on info, that and the Haynes Manual on both the tranny and OD projects. Spannerman, if I had been able to include the picture you would have seen my hold down wire, but thanks for the reminder.
Thanks to both of you for your comments.
These two projects have been a challenge from the git-go. Unless you work on them all the time they are a bewilderring array of gears, bushings, thrust washers and other parts. Murphys law hovered over these two projects like a swarm of bees. If it wasn't for the BCF, Charles Vincent at Vinco Transmissions and others, I would have given up weeks ago. Well maybe not, but it would have been much tougher.
Next week will be the acid test, the pressure test!

Again thanks to all of you for responding to my questions, Tinkerman

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Basil E-Type fuel tank mounting bolts [$&^##$%*!!] Jaguar 16
Got_All_4 General TR Problem mounting the a type to the gear box Triumph 12
H MK2 lover, but... what about an E type? Jaguar 5
D TR2/3/3A layout for lap type seat belt Triumph 5
F For Sale E Type Series II front and rear bumpers good condition Jaguar Classifieds 0
5 Wanted Wanted 1966 mgb banjo type axle rear hub MG Classifieds 0
J For Sale Bilstein Front Shocks for Jaguar E-Type 727-498-6493 Jaguar Classifieds 0
71TR6 TR6 Type-J Overdrive identification Triumph 4
B Thread Type and Size of BN2 Intake/Exhaust Studs Austin Healey 0
Editor_Reid V-12 E-Type Body Number Location Jaguar 3
M For Sale 2017 Jaguar F-TYPE Premium 2-Door Convertible for Sale mlbirk@aol.com Jaguar Classifieds 0
K TR2/3/3A The Amco chrome tube type grille ....... Triumph 9
T TR2/3/3A A type overdrive hard engagement Triumph 36
S TR2/3/3A Wedge type and Dzus type side- curtains Triumph 1
R TR6 J-Type overdrive will not disengage when warm Triumph 8
6 E-Type brake light pressure switch location Jaguar 5
A SOLD!! TR3A Girling Type A brake caliper for right front Triumph Classifieds 0
M Front caliper rebuild 1970 Series 2 E-Type Jaguar 0
M General Tech J Type OD Stuck in OD - Fixed Triumph 2
ROARRR Is there any problem swopping in a 3.0 in place of the 2.5 L engine in my Jag X Type? Jaguar 0
M General TR Source for J Type O/D Solenoid Circlip Triumph 0
M Wanted Wanted: Inoperative J Type OD Solenoid! Triumph Classifieds 2
V vintage glue type for veneer? Sunbeam (Rootes) 13
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A What type of valve to use when rebuilding the head? Triumph 10
M TR6 Gear Oil Type and how to add 1973 TR6 Triumph 9
Basil Remember the Royal Electric E-Type Electric Upgrades of All Sizes 0
S TR2/3/3A lifter type Triumph 3
1 TR2/3/3A TR3 Fuel Pump Thread Type? Triumph 4
RonC TR2/3/3A J Type Overdrive in TR3A Triumph 4
M TR6 1973 TR6 Coolant Type? Triumph 5
R TR6 Clutch Master Cylinder Hydraulic Line (Thread / Flare Type) Triumph 4
S TR2/3/3A 187 NOS sleeved type thermostat Triumph 16
Basil The new Kia E-Type? Jaguar 6
H TR4/4A A-type overdrive pump Triumph 4
Got_All_4 TR6 Refurbishing gearbox with A type overdrive Triumph 7
P Wanted E type spare tire bracket Jaguar Classifieds 2
P Wanted 62 E Type spare tire bracket Other British Classifieds 1
Got_All_4 TR6 Routing Speedo cable for a J type tranny in my TR250 Triumph 4
Got_All_4 TR5/TR250 Trying to figure out rear transmission mount with a J type tranny Triumph 9
I GT6 A type OD vs D type - engagement speed? Triumph 3
J For Sale Jaguar E Type and MK2 spares Jaguar Classifieds 0
VooDooDaddy63 Basic E-Type Question: Fasteners - Metric or SAE or ...? Jaguar 15
D TR2/3/3A Type A overdrive not engaging Triumph 0
D TR2/3/3A Type A overdrive not engaging Triumph 16
S For Sale Lotus Elan Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM - Type 26 - 1963 - 1965 Other British Classifieds 1
B Resistor type vs non-resistor type spark plugs for 100-6 Austin Healey 17
K TR4/4A TR4 Fuel Gauge'"light bulb socket" type? Triumph 11
Martinld123 H Type Carburetors BN2 M version Leaking Fuel At Jet Bearing Area Austin Healey 18
AH67 Heat Shield finish 66 Type Jaguar 5
AUSMHLY Grease type for zerk fittings Austin Healey 7