• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3A door trim [photo please]

Arrow

Country flag
I bought rubber trim from TRF. Does it go just from the two end holes at the botom of the door? There is a hole along front of door just below hinge. I will post another photo on another posting. I can not seem to get 2 photos to post. Secondly how does the vertical rubber trim at rear of door go? I also bought from TRF, it is identical to the rubber they send me for the spare tire opening. Thanks for your help. I hope to have all the body pieces back on the car this week.

Attachments

• 27881.jpg
    27881.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 243
OP
A

Arrow

Country flag
THis photo shows a hole at the front of the door below the hinge. Is that where the bottom edge rubber starts? Does it end at the last hole along the bottom which is not at the end of the door?

Attachments

• 27882.jpg
    27882.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 233

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Good questions Arrow. I hope someone chimes in - I also have this coming up in a few months. With all the pix I have of TR3's it amazes me the pix I need but don't have...

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
That rubber seal is usually too thick and once fitted the door won't close without a huge slam. It's a chore to try and thin the repro seal down to the dimension of the original.

The seal was held on with spring steel pinch clips that pushed into the smaller holes in the underside of the door. From memory the seal went slightly past each end clip, as designated by the row of small holes. I can't recall the larger hole at the front radius being used, but the last two cars I've rebuilt had the earlier square cornered doors.

Many rebuilt cars I see just dispense with those seals. I haven't fitted them and you don't notice any (extra) windage or dust getting in.

Viv.

Jesus

Country flag
Regarding the seal, I had a good result trimming a little bit of the lip. See attached photo.

Jesus

Attachments

• 27892.jpg
    27892.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 152

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
After I tried every which way to make the seals fit, I finally compared them to the originals. The new TRF seals are about the same deminsions as the originals, but the originals will squeeze down to almost paper thin. The repo's do not.

Of course, having cut them to fit, they were not returnable. Learn from my mistake...the new seals do not work. If you close the door with them installed, the bottom of the door bows out and "springs" all the detailed alignment work you have done. I even tried shortening them to reduce the affect...to no avail.

I then tried triming them as Viv suggested. That still would not work for me...still didn't fit.

I recommend you get your money back before you trim them. I have a lot of brand new clips I also didn't use!?!

John