• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tony Barnhill's collection

In regard to Mickey's announcement of the upcoming auction of this collection. I was offered Tony's MGB GT race car, who knows, maybe they fiquire I would get car on track, and they are right, it will now be a quest to do something competitve with the car, in honor of Tony and his passion for these cars. Yesterday we embarked on 1 day 750 mile run to get the car and get back home.

Jerri openedd the shop for us , welcomed us to look around and do what we needed to get the race car loaded up. To walk around Tony's shop and see all his projects was honor. There well over a dozen cars in the main shop which is spacious to say the least, several early model steel dash MGBs already in fresh paint, a MGC, Magnette, a MG 1100, MGA coupe and rodsters and gourgous 64 Midget, just hours from being completed from a gound up restoration with new everything, Tony's TD sitting there in a air bubble storage, which I understand the family is keeping. Tons of automotive wall art, signs, neon MG clock, shop tools, spare parts, engine tranny cores, including two good late model 4 syncro OD MGB trannys. If you are into these cars, and you are within driving distance to Tony's (Gurley, Alambama), you should go with trailer, and pick up truck in tow for the auction, this is one man's treasure chest, and it needs to go to passionate MG folks just like Tony, to complete these cars and get them on the road, thats what Tony would have wished for these cars, and his collection of all things automotive to be cherished by someone as he cherish them.

This is tough thing for the family to do, and have to deal with. Please support the family in the auction of Tony's collection by showing up and bidding, you can be assure there will be deals to be had, lots of good stuff to be sold. I was very moving being in Tony's "man cave" and seeing all this, I'm glad I went and have the GT race car to do something with in Tony's honor.

I tired and worn out form the trip, but I wanted to post my expereicne here with all this, and to rally the troops , per say, for Tony's collection, and making sure you guys know what is there and to support this. Jerri told me the auction will be in October.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for posting this, Hap. It's been quite a ride, sorting through Tony's stuff and helping Jerri and Shannon figure out how to handle all of it.

The auction announcement will happen just as soon as the date is set.

And I'm sure Tony will be "riding" along when the GT is put through the paces!

Mickey

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wish I could see that. Tearing up just reading it.
Dang I hate that.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Hap, Happy to hear you made the trip safe and sound. You are the best fit for the GT racer! I hope all the cars go to homes that will be as Tony would have wished for. Mickey is in a tough position assisting the family but is doing a fantastic job handling it. Its not easy coming up with fair prices for the family and BCF members. I have purchased the red 63 MGB project car that Tony purchased last. I have had a pretty good look at the remaining cars and can give anyone that wants a discription my opinion. I plan on being at the auction. There just may be room here in Monroe for one more MG. Let all be sure to save up and show up in October. Bob

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hardly a mess.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
No, it's a complete car. Needs restoring. I wouldn't describe it as a mess.

OP
Hap Waldrop
Yep, that what I remember too, the C was sitting in the corner of the shop agaisnt the wall complete, looking to me like a good canidate for restoration. I didn't give it a good once over or anyhting, because I have zero interest in restoring a street car, and especailly a C, but it looked like a solid car to me, just glancing at it. The only covered up car that I uncovered to look at was the red Midget, because I felt somewhat connected to that car, rebuilding the carbs for Tony.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hap,

What are your plans for the car?That's one of Tony's
cars that I wouldn't mind having.
Maybe we could see if there's someone here that's going
to the auction,that would be willing to ship parts - if we had
high bid.

- Doug

OP
Hap Waldrop
AngliaGT said:
Hap,

What are your plans for the car?That's one of Tony's
cars that I wouldn't mind having.
Maybe we could see if there's someone here that's going
to the auction,that would be willing to ship parts - if we had
high bid.

- Doug

Doug, we're talking some of the Headley rear suspension pieces off and putting onto Fred McConnell Sr.'s GT vintage race, as well as the hybrid rear end, it all things we had planned to do to that car to begin with, then putting a tube axle housing back in Tony's car, and then possibly going to make the car into a budget autocrosser. Tony's car could be made into a Vintage racer, but only with a large insertion of cash and hard work, and some of the things Tony has done to the car, are not exactly vintage kosher, fiberglass bobdy panels, remove the trunk floor for the fuel cell.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
The Automatic CGT needs restoration but appears to be a solid starting point and is mostly untouched. There is one brake booster apart on the rear shelf. I do not know if there is a 2nd one or not. The hood has been sprung at the hinges and is a major part that I would think needs to be replaced. Its also wedged into a corner so its not easy to get a good look at the whole car. Mickey also located a couple of extra MGC tachometers in the parts bins. There are really neat parts mixed in with the normal parts. A good eye and knowing what you are looking for will go a long way at the auction. One of the small outbuildings had a section of MG 1100 parts. If you need 3 or 4 1100 transmissions or crankshafts then bring your pickup truck to the auction! Bob