• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fix it again tony

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
Hello all, has anyone seen the bugeye on ebay for sale with the fiat 1608cc engine and 5 speed. looks like a nice fit and has anyone else looked into doing that.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've seen the car and actually the owner is on one of my Yahoo groups - he has another (1275) bugeye as well. He was sniffing around here cause I invited him to but hasn't registered yet. I agree, it seems a very cool conversion. Oh, and, if you read British magazines like Retro Car, the swap (Fiat twin cam) is reasonably common on the other side of the pond.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
<span style="font-style: italic">British </span>styling and <span style="font-style: italic">Italian </span>reliability...the best of both worlds? :jester:

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I saw that car also and liked the fit, but I imagine a Fiat engine is had to find? Can not remember the last time I saw a Fiat, at least one running

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
mightymidget said:
I saw that car also and liked the fit, but I imagine a Fiat engine is had to find? Can not remember the last time I saw a Fiat, at least one running

they are everywhere here - many restored but lots like this

https://tinyurl.com/3y65m5z

Mind you, I'd be looking at a JDM swap if I were swapping anything - there are lots of engines around with very low miles.

G

I've always like those but everyone one I've ever seen has broken the timing belt, bent valves and broken pistons. I don't know if that's from a design flaw, or lack of maintenece. I knew a guy who bought one, fixed the head only to have it happen again. I would rather buy a whole Fiat, then do a swap, unless it's was in a BE. I'm for modern swaps, but that motor looks allot cooler.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A friend nearby has a 1600 Fiat engine wrapped in plastic, rebuilt by a shop with a good reputation here. She'd sell it, as her 124 Fiat needs some more immediate fixin'. Anyone interested can PM me.

<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: And, YES, the Boss would get remuneration for the exchange listing. </span> :wink:

G

DrEntropy said:
<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: And, YES, the Boss would get remuneration for the exchange listing. </span> :wink:

...my wife would get money ?!?!?!?! :jester:

I've lapped too many Fiats and passed them sitting on the side of track broken too much to ever want to put one in a Spridget :smile: If I were going to look at a small DOHC motor, I'd look at the Suzuki 1200 DHOC, I seen those bad boys screaming at the race track, and they sound good. That conversion has been done, and it makes alot more sense. A Fiat engine in a Spridget, you're kidding right
grin.gif
Sounds like rock soup to me, I'd say find another rock to make the soup.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mebbe they didn't wanna wear 'em out all at once, Hap. :jester:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
regularman said:
What is wrong with the 1275? I have found them to be very trustworthy little engines.

I've owned a 124 Fiat and loved it. Had the motor rebuilt twice.
Replaced the Weber once. Best feature was the one hand erecting top, not the engine. I elected not to do a 3rd rebuild.
My driving style may have affected the engine's reliability
however.
:crazyeyes:
My 1380 would smoke that Fiat and rev faster too.
IMHO.
:devilgrin:

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
I've had a Fiat Spider too, and agree that being able to throw the hood over your shoulder from the driver's seat was wonderful. The engine, as I recall, was just all right, but nothing worth a transplant unless you just happened to have one lying around.

If I had the $$ for a transplanted zippy Italian twin-cam and a 5-speed into a Spridget, I'd go for Alfa over Fiat any day. Prob'ly couldn't fit the sump 'twixt the frame rails, though.

bugimike

Yoda
I had a '69 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe that I just loved! The 5 speed tranny was a joy and the 1498cc version of that Fiat twin-cam was pretty peppy being rated at about 90HP! I always wanted to do that conversion just to be able to call the car a Fidget but I really do love my 1275!

Country flag
Easy solution Mike, get a fiat 124 and put a 1275 A-series in it, and call it a Fidget or a Miat...wait a minute!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
bthompson said:
I've had a Fiat Spider too, and agree that being able to throw the hood over your shoulder from the driver's seat was wonderful. The engine, as I recall, was just all right, but nothing worth a transplant unless you just happened to have one lying around.

If I had the $$ for a transplanted zippy Italian twin-cam and a 5-speed into a Spridget, <span style="font-style: italic"> I'd go for Alfa over Fiat any day. Prob'ly couldn't fit the sump 'twixt the frame rails, though.</span>

A 1600 Alfa would be FUN, but I'm sure you're right about the oil pan. The overall height would be a problem as well. They're a TALL engine.

bugimike

Yoda
The solution for that would be a dry-sump!! I definitly agree on the Alfa though, back in the 60s we replaced the Lotus twin-cam with an Alfa in the Formula B...and WOW!!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Blasphemer!!!

:jester: