• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Here ya go Tony

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]not a moe and blow job [/QUOTE]

:lol:

bugimike

Yoda
It'll be interesting to watch the bidding on that!!! :thumbsup:

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
She looks pretty shiny. I don't know anything about blow jobs or eating out of engine bays, but we all use our cars for different thigns I guess :wink:

I like watching these auctions and daydreaming about what I'd spend the money on if I ever sold my Sprite.

Prices for shiny objects that get decent gas mileage are on a steep rise at the moment. Thankfully my hobby has been scooters rather than big block offroad trucks.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very nice example. Price will be intresting.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm watching it also...would be a heckuva road trip though!

(But, shouldn't the shifter surround be red?)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ohoooo, road trip.

bugimike

Yoda
She almost looks like you could fly out and drive her home!!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Piping on my '63 is white.

V

vagt6

A Midget went for close to $14K on eBay recently, concours.

Top, concours price for a '65 is over $16K.

Darned if I'd pay that much, but we all know how eBay bidders go . . . :crazyeyes:

Hard to say where the LBC market's going now. I've noted a marked increase in the number of LBCs for sale, especially the common marques like MG, Triumph.

One would assume that more cars for sale = lower pricing, but with the fuel costs up, that may not be the case.

At any rate, it's fun to watch the marketplace. I'll be in the market for a nice Midget or Sprite in a few months, I hope the pricing goes down! :smirk:

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
What was the original purchase price of the big healeys compared to the sprites though? That's what I've always been curious about. You regularly see those selling for about 50,000 dollars.

Consumers are reactive. They frenzy around tiny vehicles when fuel prices go up a bit. They sell off their small vehicles they're not using, hoping to cash in (or because they can't afford to keep an extra vehicle around.)

I like watching ebay to get a measuring stick reading on the value of everything. Sometimes things will sell locally on Craigslist for higher than the ebay bidders nationwide are willing to hit. It's always been interesting to watch. I just always wonder what makes someone decide to sell a car like that. It's done. Go out and enjoy it :wink:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Somebody's got a high bid in there that's not met its limit yet...I just bid $1,000 to see what would happen. Too soon to go much higher but one of the bidder's is hanging in since the beginning.

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Haha, I know how annoyed I get when people start bidding wars early on items, so a guilty pleasure of mine is to hit on items I know I won't win with early bids just to antagonize the suckers that are willing to shell out the big bucks.

I've made 10 dollar bids on Ferraris before just to break the seal :wink:

P.S.: It cracks me up that bidder _***n thought he was getting that Midget for 1500 dollars or less. Keep dreamin :wink:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, unless somebody with no bid history jumps in (read: owner or his friends bidding it up), I'll stay with it a few thousand. Even at $4,000 its less expensive than restoring one, I know!

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Indeed. That's exactly why I'm driving a shiny '66 instead of the one we pulled out of a barn last year. The painting and body work would have cost me more than the purchase price of my current one, unfortunately. I love projects, but money is the big decider.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I've seen a few cars on Ebay with good descriptions and photos never make reserve, and I would guess, that's by design. Let's say you've just completed a high end restoration and want to see what the market thinks it's worth. You add up your purchase price of the original car and all receipts and that's your reserve. Fortunately/unfortunately, depending upon your perspective, our cars rarely bring what it cost to restore them...even when discounting the labor.

It's been stated that top concours price for a '65 Midget is $16,000. That's according to someone's guide. Based upon what...recent Ebay auctions? Private sales? NADA? I've never seen a '65 (or any other year) Midget offered on Ebay with a DOCUMENTED concours history. Why? Because the top cars of that category usually trade pivately. Any car that has ever placed in the topmost tier of a nationally or internationally recognized concours has brought with it at least several offers of the nature "If you ever decide to sell that car, call me".

I can tell you this, you'll not build a top concours car for $16,000...you'd be hard pressed to do so for double that amount.

Now, suppose a Big Healey cost $XXXXX new and a similar vintage Midget or Sprite half of that. That, to me, is probably the least important consideration with regard to today's value. Parts cost...yes, there's gonna be some difference...that can be documented by anyone with a catalog. Donor cars...yes, some difference in cost there. Labor, not a lot of difference. The biggest difference though will always be in either rarity and/or desirability, perceived or otherwise. Can't just go by production figures either...I read the other day that something like 80% of all Ferraris ever produced still exist. Our cars, unlike Ferraris (or Big Healeys), were throw aways...so, how many were kept pristene?

Ray

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
The most interesting aspect is the 'perceived value' too. Ferraris were worth more in the 80s than they still are presently right?

I've only been into the British cars for a year, so I don't have an appreciation of the peaks and valleys of Spridget pricing trends. I've always been into the hobby of cars with the mindset of buy low and sell reasonable (rather than ripping people off and being greedy.)

Or, just don't sell. I have a problem with not wanting to get rid of things and always having my eyes on the next member of the fleet.

If those price guide magazines were accurate, I'd be wealthy, but unfortunately, everything I own is worth about 1/2 what they state in terms of street value.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, I'm out of this one - not because its jumped to over $3,000 in just a few hours but because it appears somebody (a couple of somebodies actually) have recently opened eBay accounts and are running the bidding on this one way up.

& there's no reserve which in itself is strange...

With eBay's new way of 'protecting' bidders, its easy to open an account & bid on your own item...so when I see people with 0 feedback who've only bid on a few items & bought none, I stop bidding.