• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shark Attack [Boston to Cape Cod]

Bret

Yoda
While I was in Boston earlier this month on business I hooked up with some fellow shark owners for a “cruse”. Truth is I basically invited myself when I heard them discussing a Sunday morning drive from Boston to Cape Cod. They said sure - but they wouldn’t let me take my rental car and said they’d let me ride shotgun. Turns out there was a good reason why I couldn’t bring my rental as I discovered that there is a significant difference between what the word “cruse” means to 928 folks and those of us in the LBC world. While a lot of the trip was on some pleasant back country roads in that part of Massachusetts for what they called the graveyard tour – visiting different shops to look at some badly neglected sharks and other vehicles (Even an old MGB). But the real adrenalin rush came during the morning drive when we where barreling down the interstate and twice the posted speed limit on our way down towards the Cape.

272619-Picture016.jpg

Anyway there where a great group of guys and I did have a lot of fun as you can tell by that stupid looking grin on my face in the picture above. Hear is a link to some more pictures of my Shark road trip.

Shark Attack (Boston to Cape Cod)

BTW I am offically a fan of the 928! Should I ever get ride of mine - I hope to exchange it for a S4, a GT or hopefully a GTS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• 272619-Picture016.jpg
    272619-Picture016.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 59
...and WHAT'S with th' "Down East" FOOTGEAR!?!?! You goin' NATIVE on us?!?!

Good run - driven that road before...oh, there are a couple of "sharks" near me in a guy's yard! He'll sell them - they'll need a bit of work though.

ahh good pics! you certainly have moved up in the world.....us porr little lbc's are lucky to get to half the posted limit.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

mark

[ QUOTE ]
...and WHAT'S with th' "Down East" FOOTGEAR!?!?! You goin' NATIVE on us?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]Actually Doc, those are Justin Roper Boots I'm sport'in. Think of 'em as stelth cowboy-footwear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why do they call their cars sharks?

[/ QUOTE ]Hey Steve, not sure how it started. But if I had to guess the nickname probably comes from the profile of the Prosche 928. Add to that the intake below the front bumper and the fold back (upwards facing) headlamps it kind of lools like a shark.

Here's a frontal shot of mine...

012.jpg

Well IMHO more so than the BMW Z4 anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They call them sharks, because all 928 owners wish they had a real V8 sports car...like, say...a MAKO SHARK C3 STINGRAY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(You know I've always loved 928s! Great GT cars!!!)

[ QUOTE ]
They call them sharks, because all 928 owners wish they had a real V8 sports car...like, say...a MAKO SHARK C3 STINGRAY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(You know I've always loved 928s! Great GT cars!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]Yes I know you love the 928s and yes as you know I’ve always been a huge fan of Corvettes. That said, putting a 928 up against a Corvette of the same vintage would seem to favor the Shark in almost every category but cost.

As I read things - a 78 the Corvette only had maybe 180-190 HP (with an optional 220hp engine), while the 78 Shark had 220hp (240hp if you removed the Catalytic converter & do some “tweaking”). Using the numbers I have - in a drag race they might be only a few ticks of the clock off from on another and could very well come down to driver ability more so than the vehicles. But in a road course I think the Shark would make short work of a Vette. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Where the Vette has always shined was in the Bang for the buck arena. The Corvette has always been a great bargain compared to other performance platforms.

No doubt that the 928 was a much better car than the 1978-1982 Corvette in every conceivable way! Starting in '84, the Corvette improved its capabilties to be a better true sports car, but the 928 was the better GT.

I've put about 200 miles on 928s. I've love them -- so comfortable!!!

Agreed the Vettes of the mid-80s improved over those of the mid-70s. But with the exception of those that adored them – IMHO the Corvette didn’t reach true super car status until the 1990s when the ZR1 debuted. But again – not your base model. The only thing I never liked about the 84-87 Vette’s was those annoying electronic dash displays. Only to be outdone by the later hybrid analog/digital (tachometer & speedo) dash layouts of the later versions. Call me old school but I prefer all Analog.

That said the thing I think I admire the most about the 928 is the ergonomics of the interior. I don’t think I’ve ever driven a vehicle with a cockpit so well laid out. Everything is easy to reach, identify & manipulate. Best I can tell with the exception of a few knobs & functions being relocated from the Dash Pod to the Center console the interior has changed little during it’s entire production run. Speaking of the Dash Pod – another sweet feature of the 928 is the way the pod and steering wheel raise & lower together as a unit when adjusting steering wheel height. This allows perfect unobstructed viewing of the gauges at all times.

1982 Corvette...were I to buy one, that'd be the one (I don't know why).

I don't know where you can find one Tony, but I believe you should be able to find one of those relatively cheap as it isn't one of the more coveted of the Vettes. But When I was looking I found a few for less than $10K.

[ QUOTE ]
1982 Corvette...were I to buy one, that'd be the one (I don't know why).

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where to find an '83. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif