• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removal of front fender on BJ7

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
OK Guys

My old gal is in need of a bit of TLC, the inner sill (rocker) is shot through, but we must be back on the road ASAP. The rear wing and door is off and I have just spent a pleasant half hour on ONE speedy bolt LOL on the front wing, the third one in from the head lamp. Is there a better way of getting at that one other than through the head lamp hole, or is there a clever spanner that you can use. I will need to put it back when the wing goes back on.

For that matter has any one replaced the sills as a rolling restoration, I would be glad of some advice - photos would also be very handy.

Bob

You could do the sill without taking the whole car apart; I did a BJ8 that way some years ago. Of course, the rocker panel is going to be part of the project.

I think the fastener you're refering to can be turned with a 1/4" drive socket, universal joint and a longish extension from the engine compartment (over the top of the inner fender).

:iagree:

That's the way to get it done. However, I prefer a Wobbly extension over the Universal.--Fwiw--Keoke

Hi Keoke

There really doesn't look a lot of room for a socket and universal, due to the tight curve on the shroud, but what is a wobbly? I have a feeling that I have seen an add for a flexible extension for sockets but can not find the add at this moment, is that a wobbly?

I have one more bolt to get at from inside the engine compartment and my universal will work on that.

Regarding the sills, the outer cill is OK ish but the inner and intermediate are shot so as far as I can see, and what the pros do, is to take the car apart any other way would appear to be very awkward.

Bob

Thanks Greg

I can see their worth.

Not sure if we have them yet over this side of the pond, I have googled wobble and have come up with something different, a kind of universal but linked directly to a socket so the whole thing is shorter and you buy them in sets.

I have found and ordered a flexi drive to at least install the new bolts but will need to still put the last squeeze with a spanner - that will not be as bad as turning the bolt a 1/8 th of a turn with two different spanners.

Bob

There would be a couple jobs that would be easier if Donald had just used 3" hose for the air inlet.

Bob, I seem to remember that I just went thru some outrageous contoursions to get the bolts out. Yep, one 1/8 turn per twist sounds about right. On the sill, I think if I was going to do the inner sill, I would buy a rocker and sill. don't think it would be worth the trouble to try to pry the rocker off a bad sill. Also, unless you are very experienced at the Healey body, I believe it will take some time doing this work. It takes quite a bit to get everything cleaned up and lined up in proper order. Anyway, I'm a fuss button. I'm sure it can be done quicker than I did it.

GregW said:
There would be a couple jobs that would be easier if Donald had just used 3" hose for the air inlet.

:savewave:
Gotta rake the hose out , gotta take the hose out!--- :yesnod:---Keoke

Keoke said:
GregW said:

The other job that was made tough by using a 4" hose is installing the danged hose hisseft! :madder:

:jester:

It isn;t so bad. I have a spare mounting like the one on the firewall which I use to adjust the flare of the tubing and cleam up raggedey ends before trying to fit it back on the engine compartment fitting. Before that it was a bugger though---Keoke--- :rolleyes:

Keoke said:
GregW said:

I'm adventurous, and looking to do it with the hose in if possible, I can see the next bolt from the engine compartment so can get at it from there.

I'm not experienced in carrying out this so will be enlisting the advice of an expert when all the bits are off.

Now that I am familiar with your expressions for the rocker etc. I will be removing all three sections - outer intermediate and inner so as you say Vett there will be a lot of work to square the area up to receive the new, and will be putting in a new floor as well as thye existing is a bit of plate over the old.

Bob

I have found easier access is to remove the air cleaners. use a 7/16 racheting box end wrench(gearwrench)and stick your arm through the area the air cleaners used to be. You can reach this bolt head and the racheting action of the wrench makes quick work of it. By the way dont drop the wrench.

Good luck.
Kevin R

Good news

We do have wobbly bars over here so it looks as if I will have to splash the cash and get some.
Thanks for the advice, and I will be givining it all a try.

In the mean time if there any photos out there of the sills installation, they would be appreciated.

Bob

Hi Bob, You can probably save a Quid if you buy a couple of short wobbly bars then they can be fitted on to the longer standard bars if required.--- :cheers:---Keoke