• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Prototype Alloy head for the six-pot Trumpy

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
This is great news, I hope the price is comparitive to the other Triumph alloy heads being sold now, but being from England I expect the price to be double---it will be interesting to see.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
OOOOoohhhhh, I LIKE! 'Bout time someone made some lightweight goodies for the 6-pot! Who's soul do I have to sell to get one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
It would really be nice if they made the with a cross flow design!!!!! I bet the engine would put out some nice horsies with that!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that beez!

I have always thought a X-flow head would really make the Triumph engine rip ... I guess an alloy head is a good first step though.

Matt

G

Andy,
I think with your post that you just gave all the gearheads on this forum a new reason to lie to their old ladies. This could be trouble for some of us.

Bill

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill,

I've been purposely waiting for you to reply to this topic before I did. I think this could be an awesome upgrade for the TR. I just wish somebody could engineer some roller lifters to go along with it.

Hmmmm... install this neat little head with PRI's 6 carb setup... you'd have a head turner alright.

Of course at that point I'd have to sleep in my TR6 because I'd be kicked out of the house.

OP
A

andy_t

Freshman Member
I know the feeling... I MUST HAVE ONE ..at any cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Details still a little sparse but it has been designed with performance in mind... also will be "deep" Low compression US spec as standard so it can be skimmed to any spec.. good for superchargers.. just hoping I can get a 38mm or bigger inlet valve in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

G

I saw this at the weekend on 6-pack. I just sent them an email asking for more info, so if I hear any more I'll post the results.

G

Shannon,
I think that we would be in BIG trouble. Perhaps we should just forget that we ever saw this post at all. Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a market for a recently worked- over high compression iron head? Like I need another hole in my other head.

Bill

Hopefully I can keep the wife busy long enough to get one of these. Hopefully so cause I'm to big to sleep in my car.
Next to it loks pretty comfy though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
At one point I wrote that company in Australia that makes aluminum engine blocks for Austin-Healeys to see if they would consider doing a TR block - was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't be interested - shame really, imagine what an all-aluminum engine would do for TR performance!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...imagine what an all-aluminum engine would do for TR performance!

[/ QUOTE ]Who knows? Maybe someday Dave @ Canley Classics will do alloy blocks as well. They've already done a whole bunch of stuff in cast and/or machined alloy; this cylinder head is just their latest project! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Spitfire please...

[/ QUOTE ]
From the Canley news letter
" If this weren't enough already, then let's just say we have already started on a follow up for another application, have you guessed yet?"
Now considering that the all the heads are rather similar, it does seem to be quite reasonable that the follow up will be a 4 banger version. Even more so considering Canley's specialty is the small chassis Triumphs.
They must have a fortune invested in this project, so clearly there is an incentive to turn out any variation which would have a large potential market.

OP
A

andy_t

Freshman Member
Reply to my enquiry to Dave Pearson

Andy

We are nowhere near selling these things yet (we have yet to cast the first prototype!).
No firm prices as yet as we are still in the development stages. There could be several stages of price range, starting from a bare machined head, right through to a fully complete 'up-rated' version.
Whilst setting up the patterns we have taken the opportunity to idealise the combustion chamber shape, and that of the inlet and exhaust ports. We have also looked at the water jacket and jiggled one or two bits in there to. Sorry to be a bit vague but things are still rather fluid and subject to change, mostly based on the results we get from the first head which is due to be fitted to the wifes 2.5 saloon in the next couple of weeks.
Now that we have bitten the bullet as it were and commisioned the pattern work there is nothing to stop us in the future doing something far more radical at very little extra cost. What do you think? Crossflow, downdraft, hemispherical combustion chamber, or 4 valve? It's just a matter of modifying the existing patterns, as long as we could guarantee a few sales it matters no what.

Regards
David

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
"What do you think? Crossflow, downdraft, hemispherical combustion chamber, or 4 valve?"
How about a Crossflow, hemispherical combustion chamber, twin OHC with 4 valves... And a new decal for Bill's wind deflector that says "everything" instead of MG?

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I don't know that hemispherical would be all that effective in the TR, but I would definitely agree to crossflow, 4 valve. Twin cam would be cool too.