• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Loud Exhausts

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Gentlemen, I'm working on a project and had to temporarily replace my 'muffler' with a straight pipe off the header. I'm really not looking for max power, but had to run the pipe out the side because of space issues due to the aforementioned project. I'm looking for a quick and dirty solution (of the clamp on variety) to quiet down my exhaust so as not to cause dismay among locals for a future testing session. I'll share the results of my project once the data is analyzed, but that's another topic entirely ...

At any rate, some of my autocross buddies have a bolt that goes through the end of the exhaust and some sort of supertrapp style baffles they could bolt in for noise restricted lots. I was wondering if anyone knew what they looked like, as I haven't seen any of the local guys actually use them and up to now, I had a 'real' muffler (although it's still really loud). I was also thinking of trying a 'turn-down' to at least minimize the noise in the general area. I don't really care how loud it is inside the car, so long as the noise is restricted beyond about 50 yards to a reasonable (ricer level) racket.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
The Super Traps create too much back pressure for the noise reduction that you get in my opinion. Believe it or not but a good alternatve for a cheap muffler is the Thrush / Walker Turbo Muffler. I got mine from Summit, but you can get them anywhere. Expect to pay about $20.
https://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch....inresults=false
I don't have a link to the article but I think it was GRM that compared them and this came out near the top. I have a dropped seat pan so the exhaust comes out of a LCB header, makes a 45 under the tranny, then a spring loaded joint to the mufler and a short piece of pipe out the side in front of the RR tire. I can run the car in a garage without hearing protection.
For the track I can swap out the muffler for a straight pipe at the spring joint.

OP
M

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
How much does this Dynomax muffler reduce your ground clearance?

Also, I already had the pipe made, so I'm looking for something short in profile. Once again, I don't really care about performance reduction at the moment.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
It is 3-1/4" thick and I sucked it up close to the floor. If you have carpets you'll need to wrap the muffler. I'd say it hangs down from the floor 4", but only 3" or so below the bottom lip of the sill.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
This shows it pretty good

Attachments

• 233427-PICT0198.JPG
    233427-PICT0198.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 98

Stoney

Freshman Member
Just as a random question...coming from a mustang background, has anyone tried a 2-chamber flowmaster on a MG or Sprite? I just wonder what type of sound it would make with a 1275?