• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to make an auto parts clerk go crazy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
angelfj said:
Yes, and it drives others (folks not from the USA) crazy that ALL of our bank notes are the same size...quote]

I once saw a guidebook for Japanese tourists that carefully explained how to tell the difference between $1 bills and $100 bills. This back in the days when the Dollar:Yen was very much in their favor. Guess George & Ben looked the same to them.

G

Hmmmm...... Asking the guys at the parts store for a tach-dwell meter? Since it's usually a fifty-fifty shot that they will get your parts order right,why would you trust them with your tools.Having been in the automotive tool and equipment business for 33 years,I have had many a chuckle,listening to people complain because what they were sold,didnt do the job or was total junk in the quality dept.As for making change,the most important thing you can ever teach your kids is how to have coherent thought processes.Without learing to master logical steps to solve any problem,making change to some is as comlicated as building the space shuttle. Watching someone's head explode can actually be very entertaining,though.{smoke and grinding metal noises comming from the ears} True Story- I once stopped at one of the chain drug stores about ten years ago to get a roll of film developed on a saturday.After filling out the envelope,the young girl asked if I wanted the 1 hour service or the 24 hour service? I asked what the prices were and was told 1 hour $10.95,24 hour $9.95. Being noon time,I said give me the 1 hour service and I will pick them up after having lunch with my daughter. She proceeded to inform me that the 1 hour would be ready at noon tommorrow and if I got the 24 hour service,it would be ready on weds. afternoon.I asked her if she ever actually listened to the words that came out of her mouth? She told me she only did or said what they told her to do,as the theme music from "Twilight Zone" played in my head. Scary?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would inform a customer (as I was ringing up their-
order) "That's 25cents",to which they would reply "No- they're-
4 for a dollar".So I would tell them that I'd sell it to them
for 4/$100.

- Doug

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Usually in a local parts store they always ask what kind of car I need the part for. I love the blank stares when I tell them. Finally found an independent store that, as they got to know me, they would go out of their way to help because I was a guy restoring an old car. That seemed to always turn out the best in them.
Fun watching the looks when I told them what I was working on.

Tinkerman

dklawson

Yoda
A friend of mine needed to have the engine rebuilt in his Spitfire. He was new to the area and expected no machine shop would prove acceptable or would know about British car engines. When he placed the 4th telephone call he told the guy he needed an engine rebuilt for a '71 Spitfire. Without skipping a beat or pausing the guy at the machine shop said "That's the 1300 isn't it?" My friend delivered the engine to them the next day. It turned out to be a good relationship.

DaveatMoon

Jedi Hopeful
TR6BILL said:
Try telling the young lady behind the counter you want a <span style="font-style: italic">Flat Bastard</span>....
In high school & college I had a job as a Door Guard @ Kmart, which included answering the phones when the service desk personnel were busy. One day a man with an English accent called and asked to speak with someone regarding what kinds of "rubbers" we had. I transferred the call to the Health & Beauty Dept.

They kicked the call back to me, <span style="text-decoration: underline">specifically</span>. This was highly unusual. The man was <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> angry.

:madder: <span style="color: #CC0000"> <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic">"I meant rubbers for your FEET! </span> </span> </span> :madder:

I transferred him to Shoes. :blush:

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
DaveatMoon said:
TR6BILL said:
Try telling the young lady behind the counter you want a <span style="font-style: italic">Flat Bastard</span>....
In high school & college I had a job as a Door Guard @ Kmart, which included answering the phones when the service desk personnel were busy. One day a man with an English accent called and asked to speak with someone regarding what kinds of "rubbers" we had. I transferred the call to the Health & Beauty Dept.

They kicked the call back to me, <span style="text-decoration: underline">specifically</span>. This was highly unusual. The man was <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> angry.

:madder: <span style="color: #CC0000"> <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic">"I meant rubbers for your FEET! </span> </span> </span> :madder:

Actually, in the UK, "rubbers" generally refers to the eraser on the end of your pencil. I'm surprised tht he didn't ask for "wellies". :jester:

DaveatMoon

Jedi Hopeful
angelfj said:
Actually, in the UK, "rubbers" generally refers to the eraser on the end of your pencil. I'm surprised tht he didn't ask for "wellies". :jester:
Just trying to "fit in", I guess.
whaat.gif
:rolleyes:
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Go to Holland and ask fer panties.... :devilgrin:

G

Brosky said:
Kelly,

You have told me your age by stating that you won't shop at a place that you can't go behind the counter and look your own parts up.

How old do you think I am?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Old enough to know how to look up something in a printed manual and not on a computer, by "year, make, model." Given that manuals have all but been eliminated at nearly every parts store, except NAPA, I'd say that puts you into your mid to late 30's at least.

Close enough?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I suspect you're a decade short, Paul. :smirk:

G

41, everyone still has catalogs back there. I use the 'puter, 'lesson it's something old or weird. I have caught the 'puter in a lie before. ( the cats too, I use to call them to make corrections.)

The thing to rememebr is, the program was written by a programmer, not a parts manufacturer or counterman. Lotta programs won't list a part simply cause it's not a good seller. It doesn't neccesarily mean it's not avalible. If you can get them to check the book, at least you can get a part # to call around for.......if whoever you call's 'putter will cross it.

( see first sentence in this paragraph.)

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
DaveatMoon said:
TR6BILL said:

Wear them all the time in wet weather. Made by the Tingly Company. Yes folks I wear Tingly rubbers. :banana:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
kellysguy said:
The thing to rememebr is, the program was written by a programmer, not a parts manufacturer or counterman.
Actually, the issue is not the program, but the contents of the database. And generally, the decision as to what parts to include in the database IS made by the parts manufacturer.

But you're quite right, just because it's not listed doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And vice versa.

G

TR3driver said:
kellysguy said:
The thing to rememebr is, the program was written by a programmer, not a parts manufacturer or counterman.
Actually, the issue is not the program, but the contents of the database. And generally, the decision as to what parts to include in the database IS made by the parts manufacturer.

But you're quite right, just because it's not listed doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And vice versa.

It has always been my understand that corporate dictated each company's in house database, i.e, Pepboys, Auto Zone etc.. it's data from the manufactures, but complied by the retail chain.

I had gotten a hold of a major chains software for personal use once, but it wouldn't work unless I was on their network. This was before online look up and they were paranoid about the competition finding out what their prices were. My friend who gave it to me tried to clear it through corporate, and they were fine with it, but I still couldn't use it w/o going through their system.

Doc, you gotta rememeber I'm third gen. We start out REAL young. My aunt tells a funny story from when I was five. My mother and her bought one of those "exersize machines" that try to shake the fat off of you. They got it home and all together, but had one part left over they couldn't figure out where it went. My mother, being the proud parent she is, called over her five year old son and my aunt asked me to figure out where this part went.

I replied, "Aunt JuJu, I don't know how to tell you this, but that's part of the jack for your car." She had taken out the foot of her GM bumper jack. She still talks of it to this day.

When I was 19, I moved to Texas and applied to Chief Auto Parts. I had a n interview with the district and regional managers. We sat down and the DM started laughing while he read my application.

"Son, how old are you?"

"I'm 19."

"It says here you have 14 years of experience."

"Yessir."

"(chuckle) How is that possible son ?!?!?!?!"

"Well, I'm a third genenation tech, my father had his own shop. My grandfather was a mechanic in the Army and was head of vehicle maintenence at Falstaff until he died. He taught my father and my father taught me. We start out VERY young. You're working as soon as you can recognize numbers on tools and get them. Usually age five or so."

( so he decides to try me on for size.)

"Oh, o.k son, what would you do if someone came in here and asked you for a thermostat for a VW Bug?"

"Oh, you mean that little accordian looking bi-metal spring thing that sits between the cylinders and controls the air warm up flaps in the later sytle doghouse? You won't have that, but WE do."

Five minutes later I became the youngest memeber of management in the company's history.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's not just the younger generation. When I worked in my family's bakery back in the 60's, my uncle gave me a lesson in human stupidity I'll never forget.

We sold cookies at 30 cents a dozen. One day my uncle placed a sign on the cookie show case that read: "SPECIAL: cookies 30 cents a dozen special 3 dozen for $1.00. I was suprised at how many foolish people demande the "special price on the 3 dozen.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Darwin said:
It's not just the younger generation. When I worked in my family's bakery back in the 60's, my uncle gave me a lesson in human stupidity I'll never forget.

We sold cookies at 30 cents a dozen. One day my uncle placed a sign on the cookie show case that read: "SPECIAL: cookies 30 cents a dozen special 3 dozen for $1.00. I was suprised at how many foolish people demande the "special price on the 3 dozen.

PERFECT, Dar!!! Me Ol' Fella made up a sign fer a local neighborhood raffle ticket sale back-when...

"25 cents each ~or~ THREE FOR A DOLLAR!!"

Dollar bills were proffer'd fer three in too many cases. :smirk: