• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gasoline

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Todd - welcome to BCF.

If the engine is stock, no special modifications, and you just drive "around the block" and short runs to car shows, and no high-speed racing - then I'd say 87 octane is fine. You'd probably get more comments if you post tech questions in the BCF Bugeye/Spridget forum.

Tom M.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You might want to check with the previous owner to make sure they up-rated hoses and seals for Ethanol.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Todd, you posted your question in our “Forum Navigation Questions “ section. That’s a forum for asking questions regarding how to navigate this site. I have moved your topic to our “Spridgets” forum. If you’re reading this now you are in the Spridgets forum (where you’re likely to get more responses). I’ll leave a redirect in the other forum for a week.

Basil

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have used Shell Gold for years as it has (had) no ethanl. Here is the great white north they recently added ethanol to it and I believe all gasolines , so, I am back to using regular pump gas and will continue to use stabil whn I put up the car for the winter.

In terms of unleaded (versus a leaded additive) I am fortunate to have an unleaded head on Ms. Triss but, over years of this conversation I really don't believe it makes a difference whether you use unleaded alone or unleaded plus an additive. The cost of an unleaded head and the cost of a conversion are about the same so, run it and if you need to repair it repair it but, in the meantime just have fun.

OP
Todd78d

Todd78d

Country flag
I have used Shell Gold for years as it has (had) no ethanl. Here is the great white north they recently added ethanol to it and I believe all gasolines , so, I am back to using regular pump gas and will continue to use stabil whn I put up the car for the winter.

In terms of unleaded (versus a leaded additive) I am fortunate to have an unleaded head on Ms. Triss but, over years of this conversation I really don't believe it makes a difference whether you use unleaded alone or unleaded plus an additive. The cost of an unleaded head and the cost of a conversion are about the same so, run it and if you need to repair it repair it but, in the meantime just have fun.
Thanks for a great reply

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I put premium in my '69 Sprite with a 1275. I figure it's worth the extra money to put better gas in the car. I usually add Seafoam to every tank to help keep things clean, too. I know I am due for a rebuild in the near future, but I keep trying to put it off as long as practical.

OP
Todd78d

Todd78d

Country flag
I put premium in my '69 Sprite with a 1275. I figure it's worth the extra money to put better gas in the car. I usually add Seafoam to every tank to help keep things clean, too. I know I am due for a rebuild in the near future, but I keep trying to put it off as long as practical.
Thank you
i found two gas stations in the town next to mine that have Clear gas no ethanol in it. So I’m going to try that.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There's a station (Chevron) on Tennant Way in Longview WA with non ethanol but it's really not needed.

I run Chevron Supreme in the Sprite (all my cars!) but the rebuilder didn't put in hardened valve seats so I put in lead substitute too. Been doing that for .. Gee, I've lost track of when that engine went in, but it must have been close to 10 years now. (had the car for over 25)

Little1

Freshman Member
Country flag
I use 93 octane in my small engine vintage cars, because they are asked to run hard and the ignition advance is at its fullest in the top rpm range. Under those conditions, predetonation (pinging) is a greater risk and that is damaging. The high octane in 93 slows the rate of burn, avoiding that risk. I have dumped 87 in on rare occasion, like when I realize I'm on empty and reach for the lawnmower can out of convenience. I lay off the rpms because the lower octane gas pops earlier, until I can fill it with 93 again and then let it spin.