• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finally my HVDA is in !

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

gubba said:
Peterk..how do I get the pictures to show up like yours and not an attachment..

Make the pictures a little smaller. I've made mine 800x600, and sometimes they show up in the post and sometimes they are an attachment. So if you go smaller then that they should always show up in the post and not as an attachment.

Sorry guys!

Someone's got to be the stupid kid on the block
when it comes to auto mechanics.

Ask me about salt water fishing or cutting marble
and I'm not so stupid .

Cool looking tranny!!!

Yes, I want one.
NO, the Boss will not permit it.

d

Dale on your island I don't know if a 5 speed would even be used enough to quantify the purchase.

Very true, Don.

We have more cars than the population. My average
driving speed over a year is probably around 20-25 mph.
PR is a small island with traffic clogged streets.
Ask Ben or David or Frank. Ben drove the most. He was on
highway No 3 to the rain forest. I'll bet he averaged less
than 30 mph, round trip from his hotel.

The longest stretch of open highway I can think of
is maybe 40 miles, with toll booths every 7 miles or so.

OD would be useless here.

d

gubba said:

I think the difference is that instead of using the file manager, I clicked the 3rd icon from the left "Enter an Image" on THIS REPLY SCREEN (hit reply to see it now).

It pops up a prompt for a URL (https://internet location.jpg) of your image. Since mine were already on the web, I used this option. If yours are on your PC, use the file manager.

And BTW I love the BRG on your 3; is it a Jaguar color?

Also what shift lever are you using, short like a TR3 but bent? Too short to be a TR4/A.

I feel sorry for ya fella..here in the great white north..we have nothing but open road and 100kmh speed limits. Belive me the fifth gear makes long trip driving a real treat. The Vancouver to Whistler run wont even let you go if you cant do 60mph pluss.

Peterk..the color is the very own Lordco Green. A local auto parts dealer here in my part of the world. This car is a 1962 registered 1963 TR3b and the stick is out of the original tranny..so I dont no..since my 61 Tr3a has a long skinny one. The lever has a great throw and not much differant feel from the original tranny..just smoother.

gubba said:
As noted, the trick is small file size for photos loaded on this server.

However, I just wanted to say Thanks! for loading the larger photos. Those are great shots & I've saved a copy.

Interesting gas pedal /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Hey gubba,

That's a nice TR3 you got there!

We are (or were) practically neighbours. I live in Abbotsford. I'm the one with the green TR6, probably the only one in the area, at least that I've seen. We'll be moving to Richmond in mid Jan.

Where did you get the transmission from?

This HVDA conversion interests me since my tranny has a disconcerting rattle under heavy acceleration; ie most of the time!
I know both the Supra and Truck gearboxes fit physically, but I think the Supra has a better ratio set giving longer legs?
Is that right?

Thanks Martx-5 for the link
Gubba & PeterK where did you get your Toyota transmissions, are they fairly common in wreckers yards?
I see the HVDA kit is not cheap but it looks like a quality kit and has the hydraulic throwout bearing.
What would I expect to pay for the tranny?

AltaKnight said:
Gubba & PeterK where did you get your Toyota transmissions, are they fairly common in wreckers yards?
Not only common, but cheap. Very good used boxes are basically scrap in Japan (which has some funny laws making a 4 yo car cost more to own than a new one), so there are businesses that buy them as scrap over there and bring them here.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
I see the HVDA kit is not cheap but it looks like a quality kit and has the hydraulic throwout bearing.[/QUOTE]FWIW, the hydraulic TOB is not a requirement. You can delete it in favor of an external slave (stock Toyota setup), and save several $100.

AltaKnight said:
What would I expect to pay for the tranny?

They can be had for anywhere between $125 and about $250. I bought one off e-bay for $175...plus $60 shipping. One of the guys in the club picked one up locally for $150.

Herman's site also gives info on how to check if the tranny is in good shape and hasn't been abused. These units are pretty tough, so finding a good one should be easy...which is one of the reasons they are cheap...no demand. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Average price I paid is around $200, shipping is always the killer so if you can find one locally, then better. With shipping I paid $200 (truck) and $275 (Supra) and ...

The kit in our TR3 came new in the box from a failed project and I paid $800 for the kit, hydraulic t/o and a nice Supra tranny. I found it locally so no shipping either.

These trannies are used in several different conversion, not just TRs so are not all that easy to find, but they're out there. Rebuilding is very expensive so look for a good one.

If you opt out of the hydraulic t/o bearing (cost around $300 just for the t/o w/o ss lines), and go for the master/slave setup, you'll save some $$ but IMO the hydraulic is a really nice way to go. The hydraulic t/o hooks up directly to the master and there is no clutch arm or push rod to fool with, ever.

PeterK said:
The hydraulic t/o hooks up directly to the master and there is no clutch arm or push rod to fool with, ever.
Right. Meaning that if you need to adjust the clutch, you have to pull the gearbox and change the number of shims behind the TOB. Likewise, if the seals start to leak, out with the gearbox.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the hydraulic TOB; just that like so many other 'improvements', it involves compromises. And costs money.

Randall,

You are right in that the clutch adjustment is done prior to install. But is not required afterwards. The T/O bearing that Herman uses does not require shims, that was on the original setup. He now uses a McLeod race type t/o bearing that is adjusted by turning out the center bearing a couple of turns until the clearance is reached (I know same same). It also comes with replacement seals should they be needed.

The clearance is set to .100-.120" between the face of the t/o bearing and the face of the clutch pressure plate. It is not a wear adjustment as the t/o bearing takes care of that. So the only time you have to take out the gearbox is to change the clutch disc or if the t/o leaks.

BUT (a big BUT), the TR fork issues, clutch rod adjustment, slave cylinder, not to mention the TR t/o bearing failure, most of which also require gearbox out ... are gone. It's a tradeoff that's been very good to me. AND, you also get a 5th gear capable of lowering your revs on the highway AND a very dependable gearbox. NFI but I'm sold on this conversion.

Ok, Peter, I won't argue the point.

But, ask yourself this : that .100-.120" is set with the bearing pushed back as far as it goes, right ? How far do the pressure plate fingers extend as the clutch wears ? When it's more than .100-120", the clutch is going to slip until you replace the clutch (and readjust the shim pack if necessary).